LuckoftheGTP

I was driving my 94 GTP down a big hill, so I though her into Neutral. (damn high price gas) After about 2 miles i give it gas (realizing she was still in N :redface:) She spikes to 4K I let go of the gas and put it into Drive. I turn a corner and realize i have no pick up at 3K RPM. I pull over and there is a little bit of smoke between the engine and fire wall. I check fluids and let her sit a few minutes and drive the rest home (3 miles). When I turn the corner to my apartment complex. The car dies. Won't turn over. I took it too a trany place and they have no clue, and can't start her. :cry: She is now in the arms of my machanic.

I know that its the timing belt why the car isn't starting, anyone have an idea how the trans. caused this and what is the problem... Wish me luck.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Breakdown

• Addicted To Boost

• carkhz316

• Crazy K

How do you know its the timing belt? Did you pop off the inspection cover and check it out? Also, when you say it won't turn over, do you mean that nothing happens, or that the car just cranks and doesn't start. I don't see how what you did would really hurt the car. I'd say that it is just a fluke that this happened right after you coasted down a hill in neutral .

real simple, when my ex gfs valve body on her 1995 supreme failed the car did the same thing (but this was a mechanical failure, not some jerk off dropping the car into neutral, free revving the engine to 4k, and then dropping it back into gear, while tryring to save gas) thejolt on the engine from the centrifgual energy load of the free spinning engine and drivetrain made the timing belt jump a tooth, and stretched the belt. Have fun paying the bill, good thing you saved all that gas! :lol:

It would sound like i was going to start but not (RRRRRRR). Cylinders were flooded with gas and there is a spark. I figured they weren't working together.

machanic just called, the belt is toast and needs new pullies. ($700 w/ labor.)

I was driving my 94 GTP down a big hill, so I though her into Neutral. (damn high price gas)

If your worried about gas prices, go buy an Echo.

P.S. You should never ever put your car into neutral while coasting down a hill, very hard on your transmission and not safe at all.

real simple, when my ex gfs valve body on her 1995 supreme failed the car did the same thing (but this was a mechanical failure, not some jerk off dropping the car into neutral, free revving the engine to 4k, and then dropping it back into gear, while tryring to save gas) thejolt on the engine from the centrifgual energy load of the free spinning engine and drivetrain made the timing belt jump a tooth, and stretched the belt. Have fun paying the bill, good thing you saved all that gas! :lol:

You're an ass, aside from the avatar thing.

It's a pretty honest mistake compared to some of the expensive ones that I've heard about, I'm not sure why, you're mocking the guy.

I was driving my 94 GTP down a big hill, so I though her into Neutral. (damn high price gas)

P.S. You should never ever put your car into neutral while coasting down a hill, very hard on your transmission and not safe at all.

I had thought that the transmission lets go at that point and technically isn't in play, would you mind going over the mechanics of this (I'm not challenging you, I don't know myself - I'm curious.

If the road is icy in the winter, I back my coupe out onto the drive and will litterally hit the gas and keep the car at 3,000RPM for a minute or two while in park, just to give the engine a little work. I don't go out because if I slide into someone's parked car or something I don't want to be the dumbass in court trying to eplain why I was just "driving around the block" with an uninsured car. Is that hard on the car?? I'm assuming not, unless I start redlining it.

I had thought that the transmission lets go at that point and technically isn't in play, would you mind going over the mechanics of this (I'm not challenging you, I don't know myself - I'm curious.

Well I will look up the proper explanation of what dropping it into neutral while coasting down a hill does to the drive train so I can be perfectly clear but I can explain the safety part of that to you. Dropping the car into neutral will not allow the engines compression to slow the car down. To make a long story short, it'll fuck up your vacuum pressure (temporarily) and, in turn, you wont have proper braking power and that is the absolute last thing you don't want to have.

Well I will look up the proper explanation of what dropping it into neutral while coasting down a hill does to the drive train so I can be perfectly clear but I can explain the safety part of that to you. Dropping the car into neutral will not allow the engines compression to slow the car down. To make a long story short, it'll fuck up your vacuum pressure (temporarily) and, in turn, you wont have proper braking power and that is the absolute last thing you don't want to have.

Okay, because I did this the day of the big power out, I was trapped on a highway down hill for 20 minutes straight, inch by inch, so I just dropped the car into neutral, I did travel the entire way with the heat on full that day and spent about 90 minutes travelling 2 miles. I guess given all of the descriptions, that wouldn't or couldn't have hurt the car. But I am still curious. Thanks!

I kinda have a hard time seeing how the putting the tranny in neutral while coasting. I, like Breakdown, thought that the tranny was out of play in neutral. Also on the vacuum...how does it screw up the vacuum? I can't tell a difference, I'm confused on this too.

Okay, because I did this the day of the big power out, I was trapped on a highway down hill for 20 minutes straight, inch by inch, so I just dropped the car into neutral, I did travel the entire way with the heat on full that day and spent about 90 minutes travelling 2 miles. I guess given all of the descriptions, that wouldn't or couldn't have hurt the car. But I am still curious. Thanks!

You should leave it in drive while coasting downhill.. the ECM senses rapid deceleration and SHUTS OFF the fuel injectors if you leave it in drive coasting down the hill. You will actually get better fuel economy this way and it is much safer!

I'm not trying to knock you man, bear with me, but WHAT? First and foremost, there is no engine braking unless you're in manual 1st or manual 2nd on these autos. Drive and OD will not have any engine braking. Secondly "f***ing up the vacuum pressure"????? vacuum is the absence of atmospheric pressure. Lastly, your idea about braking assist is wrong also. Any engine will have, in most circumstances, the most vacuum at idle with closed throttle. Plug in a vacuum gauge and see for yourself. So, in reality, you will have ample braking assist in this case.

You should leave it in drive while coasting downhill.. the ECM senses rapid deceleration and SHUTS OFF the fuel injectors if you leave it in drive coasting down the hill. You will actually get better fuel economy this way and it is much safer!

What? I hope this is sarcasm

How is that sarcasm? Those of us with DIC's can watch it happen, going down a hill the MPG goes through the roof, I have had mine up to 99mpg going down a big enough hill and the RPMs drop while the speed stays constant.

As for the braking thing... some of you gotta drive a car in a Canadian winter. Dropping the car into neutral and then applying the brake will in fact help the car slow sooner. Don't believe me? Come on up and give it a shot, we should have some ice to play on in the next couple months. I do this all the time, and it is actually taught in some driving schools up here.

As for the gas prices... stop your bitching, gas costs more up here! :lol: (sadly this is the truth :bawling1:)

Jamie

No, that is the 100% truth.

It does not shut off the injectors. I agree your DIC will show 99 mpg. Any vehicle will show the same thing. If you don't believe me, shit-can it up a hill and watch it drop to 5, 6 mpg. Your car is not shutting off any injectors going downhill. This is bull. Show me a service manual that proves it or anything of that sort.

As for the braking thing... some of you gotta drive a car in a Canadian winter. Dropping the car into neutral and then applying the brake will in fact help the car slow sooner. Don't believe me? Come on up and give it a shot, we should have some ice to play on in the next couple months. I do this all the time, and it is actually taught in some driving schools up here.

Jamie,

100% agree with you,

I do this in the winter before letting the ABS get working, that's just me though.

It does not shut off the injectors. I agree your DIC will show 99 mpg. Any vehicle will show the same thing. If you don't believe me, shit-can it up a hill and watch it drop to 5, 6 mpg. Your car is not shutting off any injectors going downhill. This is bull. Show me a service manual that proves it or anything of that sort.

Plug in a datalogger and you will see them shut off fuel in rapid deceleration.

Why don't you plug it in and show me, to prove it. I'm sure Pulse-Width drops to nil because you let of the throttle to nearly closed throttle, which would be, hmmmm like idle. And isn't this all a little bit of derail?????? But yeah, prove this. I call bull. I would attempt to plug in my real scan tool, either Mentor or Tech 2, and see that my engine doesn't just turn off during closed throttle decel, but I'm busy drinking beer and laughing at this post.

I would attempt to plug in my real scan tool, either Mentor or Tech 2, and see that my engine doesn't just turn off during closed throttle decel, but I'm busy drinking beer and laughing at this post.

And I never said your engine shuts off. Your fuel injectors stop injecting fuel into the cylinders during rapid decel.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080820100315AAWSqY3

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/fuel-economy/t-downhill-engine-braking-vs-coasting-in-neutral-5698.html

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4230705.html

http://getenergysmartnow.com/2008/08/25/romancing-a-kiwi-the-start-of-an-affair/

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-497847.html

Now STFU... I dare you to fight it in the last link, they will eat you alive on that forum...

If you'd done your homework you would know its called DFCO (Deceleration Fuel Cut Off), and almost all fuel injected vehicles are equipped with it (manual and automatic). I will even save you the hassle of typing the Google search...

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=Dtd&q=DFCO+General+Motors&btnG=Search&meta=

Jamie