Aftermarket/Other Stock Wheels on 7th Gen Grand Prix

pwmin

First off, anyone know the stock offset for the 17" and 18" wheels? I'm thinking about getting some 18's for the GP for summer. I would have to beat the rear fender lip in like i did on the Regal so the xlaces don't hit on big bumps, but not sure I want to do that to this car. Other option would be to have them machined for less offset, but would like something bigger. Even 18's don't look that big in the pictures I've seen. Plus I wouldn't mind going back to stock tire height since there still is a little wheel gap even with the lowering springs and I was told that if you change tire size in the computer on these that it'll mess up cruise. I don't really use it much, but I think that's a good compromise. I hate not having my speedo working correctly. I haven't looked a whole lot yet, but have looked at tire rack and discount tire and found pictures of 077's on them, but haven't really found anything I like yet and not sure I like 077's on them. I like them on 5th & 6th gens for sure. Anyone have any suggestions? I think I want polished wheels instead of black wheels, but I definitely don't want chrome or silver.

P1020536.jpg

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pwmin

• Psych0matt

• Nas Escobar

• The Guz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

kinda like these, but not sure what they are

wk79_kstratton_large.jpg

bonne gxp wheels look pretty good

2dc7lh0.jpg

316xiew.jpg

i might like these on there, but can't check them out on the car

t_20110922.liqcur.slglms.large.jpg

post-738-143689175705_thumb.jpg

Edited by pwmin

Don't worry, I won't. Thanks for providing a suggestion, but I'm not a fan of them on turd gens. If I was looking for other stock 16's, I would get 1st gen 5 spokes. I really want 18x8's. Not really a fan of torque stars to begin with, but I know a lot of people like them.

I'm antsy to get my five spokes on, but it's cold and I'm lazy :lol: (they need stripped and painted). I didn't want to get other aftermarket wheels since I already have them, but if I can't make the wheels look good myself i may go that route instead

I know these don't help you since you're not from my area, but I may consider getting something aftermarket if I can find decent deals like this in a few months (and then maybe 5 spokes for winters?)

http://flint.craigslist.org/pts/4833646861.html

http://flint.craigslist.org/ptd/4833037956.html

these I like

http://flint.craigslist.org/ptd/4833037308.html

and these are my favorite of the group

http://flint.craigslist.org/pts/4813489730.html

Those last wheels look a lot like stock 5 spokes and that first set is for a good price. They are 2nd gens though. I like the lower offset of the 1st gens. I'm not in a hurry because I'm going to use my tax returns so I have time to figure it out. Definitely want 18x8 with +38 or 40, maybe 45 offset. Might be able to get away with 8.5 and 45mm. I like the third set shown on the blue GXP and the price is decent. There is a similar wheel I like better but they cost a good bit more. The torq thrust style wheels I can only find in 17s so far, but I wanted to see how they would look.

You can get away with a +35 offset and a 18x8 or 18x8.5. +40 and +45 will also be fine at those widths. If anything you will have to roll the fenders if you are lowered.

The AE077's have been discontinued for a long time. I use to have them in chrome 18's and they were heavy and eventually started to pit.

If you go with a polished wheel be sure that it is clear coated or you are going to get tired of polishing them up all the time.

I'm debating between two sets of TSW's myself.

One other thing you can look at wheels with a 5x114.3 bolt pattern to give you more options.

You can get away with a +35 offset and a 18x8 or 18x8.5. +40 and +45 will also be fine at those widths. If anything you will have to roll the fenders if you are lowered.

The AE077's have been discontinued for a long time. I use to have them in chrome 18's and they were heavy and eventually started to pit.

If you go with a polished wheel be sure that it is clear coated or you are going to get tired of polishing them up all the time.

I'm debating between two sets of TSW's myself.

One other thing you can look at wheels with a 5x114.3 bolt pattern to give you more options.

I had the 16x8 GM Enkei xlaces on the Regal and even with shorter tires and adjustable struts, they hit the rear quarter panel on big bumps until I hammered the lip in. I put them on the GT and same thing. The lip is about 1/2", so 13mm less positive offset I figured would miss the lip, hence the 40mm's. I have ZZP lowering springs on the GT and had cheapo DNA lowering springs on the GS, so about the same drop.

I would want polished, not really wanting chrome, but finding the ones I would want would probably be difficult. I could try finding a Saleen ripoff, though, that would look almost the same. Not sure I can find the right width and offset, though.

I stripped the 1st gen hi-po 5-spokes from the 96 SPED I had and it wasn't too bad keeping them nice, but I would prefer having a clear coat on them.

I might not be opposed to 19's or 20's and the tires don't seem to cost that much more, but the wheels might.

I had the 16x8 GM Enkei xlaces on the Regal and even with shorter tires and adjustable struts, they hit the rear quarter panel on big bumps until I hammered the lip in. I put them on the GT and same thing. The lip is about 1/2", so 13mm less positive offset I figured would miss the lip, hence the 40mm's. I have ZZP lowering springs on the GT and had cheapo DNA lowering springs on the GS, so about the same drop.

I would want polished, not really wanting chrome, but finding the ones I would want would probably be difficult. I could try finding a Saleen ripoff, though, that would look almost the same. Not sure I can find the right width and offset, though.

I stripped the 1st gen hi-po 5-spokes from the 96 SPED I had and it wasn't too bad keeping them nice, but I would prefer having a clear coat on them.

I might not be opposed to 19's or 20's and the tires don't seem to cost that much more, but the wheels might.

The GM cross laces have a lower offset. I believe they are in the +25 area. When I had AE 077's in 18x8 they still rubbed in the rear. I had to roll the fenders. The car is lowered on the GMM lowering kit. My current wheels are 18x8, +35 and they don't rub since I have the fenders rolled.

19's can be nice but be aware of the tire prices. They usually cost more because of the size versus 18's or 20's.

yeah, they're 25mm and so were the 1st gen 5-spokes.

i need to keep looking. I hate taking this long to figure out what I want, but I need to take my time this round. AE077's should be +40mm. I wonder why they were hitting the xlaces just barely hit the inside of the lip.

yeah, they're 25mm and so were the 1st gen 5-spokes.

i need to keep looking. I hate taking this long to figure out what I want, but I need to take my time this round. AE077's should be +40mm. I wonder why they were hitting the xlaces just barely hit the inside of the lip.

The AE077's are +42mm IIRC.

Crosslaces are +25mm on the 6th Gen (AJAM) I've never had issues with 077's, I did have the x-laces on for a couple of days with no issues (only the front) the 077's seem to have more clearance if you bump down a tire size.

You should be: 245/45R18, for more clearance run: 245/40R18, or 17's run: 245/45R17 instead of 245/50R17s, etc. Just knock the profile down a tad, it'll put your speedo out 2MPH or so, but it will also give your rims the appearance of being bigger 18's mistaken for 19's and 17's mistaken for 18's, etc.

Edited by Breakdown

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, guys. My search has slowed down a lot and thus I haven't been checking this thread as much as I should. I started looking again over the weekend, so hopefully I'll keep it up until I find something. So far, my best option is the helo he845. Not a fan of the rivets, but there aren't many and I can paint them black to blend in more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HELO-HE845-HE84588020342-RIMS-SET-OF-4-18X8-42MM-OFFSET-5X115-120-GLOSS-BLACK-/400566310141?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Wheels&hash=item5d439cd4fd&vxp=mtr

yeah, those don't look too bad! wish they were polished, though.

I'm having a hard time finding torq thrust style wheels in the size I want. Can anyone help? I'm looking for 5x115 or 5x114.3 in 18x8 with +35mm offset or maybe 18x8.5 or 18x9 with +40 or so offset. I'm considering 19's and 20's, too. I'm getting a pretty good tax return and it should be coming in soon, but I don't really want to spend over $1500 for wheels and tires.

I'm liking the AR883 more, but I don't really want chrome wheels. Not that I'm worried about the chrome on summer wheels, but I think it looks fake or something. I would much rather have polished aluminum wheels.