Engine blown- update with pics-!-

Mach 5

Dang, so the actual locks snapped in half or just poped out letting the valve fall? (your pics are down so I can't see).

I have some comp cams springs on my 3500 but I used stock everything else, only replaced the springs and pulled 1 keeper off my old 3100 since I lost one of the ones off the 3500 :redface:

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mach 5

• 19Cutlass94

• Brian P

• gp90se

The retainers were aparentely for the 2.8 iron head so even though they fit, they didn't fit very tight causing them to wear at the valve stem which got so bad that they just popped loose.

Jarek

Too late for the head gaskets as they are already ordered. As for the heads, if you are interested, I could send you the ones from my other motor to have you port them but for now, Ill pass. I need this car on the road by next week. Maybe in a month or two we could work something out.

That sucks but "Buy it, Use it, Abuse it, Break it. Then, Start the whole process over again!"

Yeah... I guess Im just following my words of wisdom. :rolleyes:

Jarek

that would work if not I probly got 6 or 7 sets kicking around.

say good bye as the engine is cooked. I rebuilt it and now it is knocking on cylinder 6. It started up fine though , drove it down the block and boom-check engine light and running on 5 cylinders-again-. So its probably a ring or piston damage. I don't have time for this anymore and have officially given up. I think what I am going to do is buy an 89 turbo grand prix and swap everything new and maybe even used stuff over to it. This I think will make me happy and I will know that the engine is most likely good. Now this is just a sugestion and I don't know what to do so-whatever- Maybe I will change my mind in a week or two.

My new quote I think is going to be "Shit always happens when times are gettin' good."

Jarek

My mind is swaying toward keeping the car and just fixing the damn thing. I don't know what the hell I was thinking but If I pull the motor and fix it then Im not running away from my problems so to hell with it... Im keeping the car...

TO BE CONTINUED...

Jarek

My mind is swaying toward keeping the car and just fixing the damn thing. I don't know what the hell I was thinking but If I pull the motor and fix it then Im not running away from my problems so to hell with it... Im keeping the car...

TO BE CONTINUED...

Jarek

GOOD CHOICE! :thumb: :cool:

Car stopped knocking but its still got no power. I have a cylinder 2 misfire so a replaced the plug and wire with my test ones. Almost fixed the problem but is still there. The vacuum guage sits around 8-10 so I have compression. My air/fuel guage sits in the middle at idle and gets maxed out(rich) when you even touch the pedal. It even backfires out the intake a little bit. So I think the timing off-way off.

Would do you think?

Please let me know. I will appreciate the help.

Jarek

I have to pull the intake off and check the pushrods. Cylinder 2 misfire is being diagnosed. The car is also being tuned by Ben from 60degreev6. Just waiting for him to finish writing the file.

-Your right, it is imposible to get rid of these cars. And if I did, I would buy either an 89 tgp in black with gray and a spoiler or another 89 gp white on white with gray and a spoiler. I just don't like the newer stuff; flat fenders, body lines start 4 inches below the hood, the windows too, and start at the top of the light. The clear coat has an orange peel effect to them. The lights even have the same style to them. Nothing has the personality of the older cars of the late 80's and early 90's as well as the classic cars of the 50's, 60's, and early 70's. This is just my opinion. Now to get back on topic and enough of my rambling.

Jarek

valve float, overly stiff springs, gummed up lifters (doubtful)

I'm going to stick with valve float with the rockers not adjusted properly, seen it happen on a 350, but to be honest, I haven't seen that many built up 189s lol

(2)- on cylinder #3.

Yes they were put on the right valve.

The lifters are new from Crane so thats not it.

I have had the spring install height checked when I went to have the heads machined. (1) of the springs ended up being shimed but it wasn't on the cylinder with the broken pushrods so thats not the problem.

Im thinking guide plates need to be grinded or not enough pre-load on the lifters.

Other than this, I have no freakin clue as to why this happened.

Jarek

(2)- on cylinder #3.

Yes they were put on the right valve.

The lifters are new from Crane so thats not it.

I have had the spring install height checked when I went to have the heads machined. (1) of the springs ended up being shimed but it wasn't on the cylinder with the broken pushrods so thats not the problem.

Im thinking guide plates need to be grinded or not enough pre-load on the lifters.

Other than this, I have no freakin clue as to why this happened.

Jarek

I was going to ask if you ground the push rod guide plates when you installed the 1.6 rockers...?

I did end up grinding the guide plates.

Now I have even more problems.

The car started right up and ran fine until I hit the gas and threw another pushrod. So I took it all apart again and checked it, a damaged lifter and a bent rod was a result (same cylinder again). So a checked for binding at the lifter-good. Pulled the rear head off, brought it to the machine shop and they disassembled it. The problem is that the spring on that cylinder binds. They said that it was their fault and are going to give me a new cam, lifters, pushrods, and gaskets. Pretty damn nice of them :biggrin:

So give me a month or two and it will be done.

Jarek