Engine blown- update with pics-!-

Mach 5

Yeah...its blown. all 1,200 miles on the engine. The valve lock let go and the Intake Valve #6 hit. Just ordered new parts and should be repaired by monday.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :mad:

I was on my way to autozone with a buddy just leaving campus (Suffolk Community College- Selden) and was being my usually self free revving to 4,000 (girls around doesn't help) -did it twice- and the bam... the next thing you know, my car sounds like a dirtbike and backfiring and kept stalling out. So after a couple nuetral drop ins-had to idle at 1500 rpm- I get back to the ASEP building and pulled it into the bay. We did a spark test-good- checked the plugs-good, compression test-failed (170psi (1-5 cylinders), 6- completely gone), leak down test-cylinder #6-Failed- (no exhaust sound and could hear through intake), and also checked with a boroscope(metal deposits and dents). So we pulled the front cover and the 6 intake valve looked like the guide was shot, so we pulled the rocker and the spring came right out.

Had AAA tow car to my house and have been working on it since after school today. Pics will be up in an hour.

Jarek

-lesson learned- either don't rev engine or don't use the valve locks that come with the Comp 260 kit. Total repair bill- to be issued-

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mach 5

• 19Cutlass94

• Brian P

• gp90se

Im actually glad that it happened at school and only to one cylinder as the rest of the locks look like they are about to pull through as well and all the valve stems are worn out from the locks moving as well. At least now I know where the ticking is coming from.

Jarek

Last pic- Either wrong ones, new design but, don't really know. I think Im using the stock ones for the repairs.

Comps on left, Stockers on right

Jarek

I was just going to ask you that. Just a bit different... Would stock locks and new comp retainers work with those springs. I think that they may fit. Dunno...

Jarek

just ordered parts- Yeah, like usual I went I little overkill but whatever...

Ordered:

-New Comp Retainers

-Comp Magnum roller tipped rockers-1.6- prevent damage on retainers

-Crane lifters- Just I case I got metal in the check valve- happened before

-New Melling Intake and Exhaust Valves

-Felpro head and Intake Gaskets

-Royal Purple Synthetic Oil- for 5000mile oil change

-Castrol 5w30 and a Purolator filter

- parts coming this week

Parts from motor- GM locks

I will have valve seat re-machined when I get the valves so I know that they match.- Turnaround is generally 2 days max

I guess I will be driving the Bonneville again- Can't Complain

Jarek

Last pic- Either wrong ones, new design but, don't really know. I think Im using the stock ones for the repairs.

Comps on left, Stockers on right

Jarek

you need to use the keepers on the right they are the stock ones. The springs, retainers, and keepers you used are made for the old Iron head 2.8/3.1's.

You should use the stock retainers as well if they are the same diameter as the springs. I would not put that thing back together with those springs on their, up grade to the LS1 bee hive springs or even stock 3100/3400 springs will work fine with that cam and lighten up the valve train.

I have seen the pics of your head porting and I am sorry to say that they are not flowing any better than stock. if you are interested in a set of heads that will wake that 3.1 up let me know I have done lots of 3.1/3100/3400 heads and have seen great results. I did a set of mild 3.1 heads for a friend of mines sunbird a few years back and on the frist outing at the drags the heads alone droped his E.T. from a stock 16.5 down to a 15.7. After installing a cold air intake and 62mm TB the car ran a best of 15.36@88mph (with the stock 2" exhaust) the car had a 3spd auto in it too!

One tip when you do put it back together order head gaskets for a 89 2.8 Camaro (or any other 2.8/3.1 iron head engine) they will bump your compression ratio up from 8.9:1 to 9.4:1 with the stock style pistons.

Too late for the head gaskets as they are already ordered. As for the heads, if you are interested, I could send you the ones from my other motor to have you port them but for now, Ill pass. I need this car on the road by next week. Maybe in a month or two we could work something out.

That sucks but "Buy it, Use it, Abuse it, Break it. Then, Start the whole process over again!"

Yeah... I guess Im just following my words of wisdom. :rolleyes:

Jarek