halfass shopping for a w as a secondary car

l67ss

My dad made the comment that i should grab a second car so im not feeling rushed when wrenching on the monte. I agreed. Been poking around and actually found two nice cars i actually like.

2001 regal gs

Pros-clean as hell, most parts interchange with my monte, ive actually wanted a regal for a while, will make a good candidate for a regal 2-door conversion idea i had(hehehe)

Cons-they have a price a lil high on it, previous body repair.

2008 impala ss

Pros-5.3 :), good color scheme(red/black), eeven cleaner than hell, decent price, would b an eventual ls4 donor for monte after car is beat up and the trans dies

Cons-little interchange with monte, before mentioned trans weakness, more expensive parts

Kinda leaning towards regal even tho the impala is a better deal

Only thing is i dont like trucks. Plus ive been able to haul anything i need with the monte. And over the winter i pulled an 04 monte out of a ditch with it. Mebbe i just need to find a rearended monte and do a monte camino :)

What's your price range?

I think you would be happy with an Ecotec car that's not a Saturn. That way, once you get bored of wrenching on the Monte, you could make a Cobalt SS clone, and it doesn't have to be a Cobalt. I was going to do that with my old Grand Am but life had different plans for me and that car :(

Either that, or you should get an Eldorado for those days you want to be classy.

Only thing is i dont like trucks. Plus ive been able to haul anything i need with the monte. And over the winter i pulled an 04 monte out of a ditch with it. Mebbe i just need to find a rearended monte and do a monte camino :)
Exactly, problem solved.

after working on a couple cavaliers/sunfires i want to avoid them. kinda wanna stick with a w-body so i can interchange parts. plus i have w partswapping to a science :)

How bout an N body with an Eco?

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk.

if i found a nica ga gt 2 door 3400 mebbe. those go for bout same as a 3800 w tho

• Like 1

How about an Alero?

actually if 2 door v6 i could prolly live with if price was good. thanks to my brothers 04 ga im actually familier with the chasis :)

actually if 2 door v6 i could prolly live with if price was good. thanks to my brothers 04 ga im actually familier with the chasis :)

Aleros and Grand Ams are hard to find in 2 door, but they are worth it. They're easier to work on too compared to some W's

• Like 1

Aleros and Grand Ams are hard to find in 2 door, but they are worth it. They're easier to work on too compared to some W's

atually found more 2 doors in the jy than 4d.........mebbe thats y so hard to find :)

• Like 1

atually found more 2 doors in the jy than 4d.........mebbe thats y so hard to find :)

I hope that's not the case. I really want a 2 door 4 banger

If you want something to not feel rushed as a second car, why are you worried about interchangeability? Seems like then you'd be having two cars down

Cause out of habit i have a lot of spare parts. Im not really worried abput if the monte breaks down, its more for when im doing major stuff(like planned f40 swap). Plus if i total the second car ill have that many spare parts with known running condition :)

If you want something to not feel rushed as a second car, why are you worried about interchangeability? Seems like then you'd be having two cars down

A W body is not a parts hauler, tow vehicle, or offroad machine. If you were trying to build a halfway decent car you wouldn't take into consideration its ability to carry what a pickup truck would

I think it's more of an ease of repair or upgrade thing. For example, it would be easy to go to the yard and get parts to upgrade a W than it would be to upgrade a J. You can't do a disc swap on a J using other GM parts and bolting them on. I've heard of the N body IRS swap but it's hard work. Same goes for the Neon disc swap (yes, Neon and J stuff swap over but it requires work). Should someone find a W with drums, you could easily get the stuff from an Impala or whatever and call it a day. That's how I did my GA and that's an N body. Got stuff from an Alero.

You would trip if you saw how i use my monte ;)

A W body is not a parts hauler, tow vehicle, or offroad machine. If you were trying to build a halfway decent car you wouldn't take into consideration its ability to carry what a pickup truck would

Went and did a thorough inspection of the regal, @#$/in cherry! Engine deathly quiet(other than SLIGHT noise from sc coupler), started right up with the ice cold ac blowing, cluster worked perfect, immaculate interior, new eng and trans oil, could eat off the engine. Frankly it was hard to play it kool when talking to the dealer. If its still there when im ready I found my second car :)