darkwolf45

Get the largest storage unit you can find and do it there. Won't be cheap but it's worth it. Even if all the costs add up to be the same as if you'd paid someone else to do it, you still get to keep all the tools, manuals and expertise you acquire by doing it yourself. Otherwise you're just paying for the privilege of remaining a slave to the mechanic. But unless you're really ambitious and really mechanically inclined, you'll probably need someone who can help you. An engine pull, especially with an automatic, just isn't a one-man job.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• darkwolf45

• RobertISaar

• l67ss

• rich_e777

Garage wasn't in the cards, unfortunately. The achilles is healing still, slowly, and I managed to get my hands on another 3100, from another 95 Cutlass for $150 with 156k on it. The engine was dropped off yesterday, where a new intake, and other gaskets are being installed, and hopefully it's just a matter of days before the mechanic calls and tells me to dig out the car from under 3 feet of snow and tow it in. Good to be moving forward again, though I would prefer to be working on this more myself. Time to buy a house, I guess.

• 4 months later...

Well, the Cutlass is up and running with the new engine, and seems to be running alright. I just reactivated insurance on it yesterday, so hopefully it will be back in service shortly, though I haven't gotten the front bumper re-repaired yet.

The mechanic who did the job for me made a comment about the transmission about ready to kick the bucket. The car is shifting smoothly, smoother than before the new engine actually, but he insists the transmission fluid is discolored and burned, though I haven't seen that on the dip stick.

He felt like it is beyond repair based on this, and changing out the transmission fluid won't help, and in fact could hurt more than anything, as any sludge that is in there now may be all that is holding the transmission together.

Could I get any thoughts on this?

if sludge is the only thing holding it together, then when it does go it's going to be entirely random.

changing the fluid may cause it to happen almost instantly, but it may also end up allowing you to keep it in service longer.

Change the fluid. Dexron always turns brown and burned smelling pretty quickly. It doesn't necessarily mean the trans is going to blow. It will, however, definitely blow if left in there forever.

I just read this entire thread and I've come to the conclusion that your first mechanic is an idiot and I'm still not convinced that the original engine was bad. Did you ever find out what was wrong with it?