• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobertISaar

• Breakdown

• xtremerevolution

• Crazy K

Well the trans is yours when I get it pulled if you want it... And I know who bga is due to the last meet

I have a friend named Mike who's an english bloke and every time anyone uses a nickname that he doesn't like (not even for him) he's like "I down't know who you're tawking aboot."

I'm reffering to that.

And Robert - good catch, though depressing for me, I was hoping to get something out of a newer Century, and use Al's more as a backup plan (which BGA is starting to threaten - BIG TIME!!!), guess that won't work. AMY's stupid computer is the only obsticle that I see with BGA's transmission.

If it doesn't work out . . . I guess we'll never have a: "AMY's big gay transmission swap" thread.

there SHOULDN'T be anything different electrically from a 94-up 60E until the end of production. same shift solenoids, same PWM TCC solenoid, same temp sensor, even the same PRNDL parity switches.

if anything needs to be changed, it MAY be the connector plugs, that's about it.

Breakdown, in that case, you're more than welcome to buy my 4T60E. As I mentiond before, it has 217k miles, shifts perfectly, rebuilt at 144k (with new torque converter) with receipt, parking pawl rod replaced, and a fresh fluid change with Dex6, a new filter, and new pan gasket, which alone is worth $70. I was asking $140 for it, but I told other people I would take $100 for it.

Unless of course you're grabbing Al's transmission.

there SHOULDN'T be anything different electrically from a 94-up 60E until the end of production. same shift solenoids, same PWM TCC solenoid, same temp sensor, even the same PRNDL parity switches.

if anything needs to be changed, it MAY be the connector plugs, that's about it.

different neutral safety switches! <---maybe the prime reason they are not considered interchangable.... but IIRC 95-96-97 will interchange. HOWEVER>>>> I'd carefully make sure that the gen 2 transmission has the correct bosses!!!!!!!!

Breakdown, in that case, you're more than welcome to buy my 4T60E. As I mentiond before, it has 217k miles, shifts perfectly, rebuilt at 144k (with new torque converter) with receipt, parking pawl rod replaced, and a fresh fluid change with Dex6, a new filter, and new pan gasket, which alone is worth $70. I was asking $140 for it, but I told other people I would take $100 for it.

Unless of course you're grabbing Al's transmission.

Where is it though??? @ Bob's place?? (if there was a causeway across like Erie BXX would be so much closer to home for me!!)

I'm interested, but the rule is this:

I have to be able to snag this thing over a weekend, no ifs ands or buts, or else I'm screwed.

I tried to do some research on the interwebz and this thread came up:

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/43913-Transmission-compatibility

Not here, internet search, BGA's name surfaces again, sorry I didn't think that your tranny was the same. It's from a 1992 though??? I was actually out yesterday trying to find original AJAM, I think that it would kill AMY to have her parts replaced by AJAM's since they didn't get along . . . at all, but still.

Do you have your VIN# handy, I was told that if I take my VIN# and yours to a GM dealership that they should be able to tell me about compatibility.

I still have no idea if Al's swapping planning on swapping out his automatic or not.

The other thing is that I need a tranny on standby, I don't necessary need it. So if it's compatible I'll put $25 down on it when I take my car in, and it has to be out and ready to go, if I don't need it, keep my money and your transmission.

What I'm trying to do is hedge my bets. If Amy's transmission is fine, they lower it, valves are clean and after a quick inspection with the casing off, looks good, it gets new solenoids and then ready to go again. if it does not look good, I'm not paying an extra $1200 to rebuild the damn thing I would sooner light the car . . . or even myself on fire. So that's where this on-call transmission comes into play.

the 3800 transmission is supposed to be different from a 3100 transmission in the electronics, besides the fact of having a different gear ratio. that gear ratios could be changed by diff swapping, but the 3800 is supposed to have a proprietary connector different from the 3100... And anyone you ask will tell you that transmission will NOT work. Robert, can you alldata that info?

and yes, you can change the NSS switch.

Transmission is at Bob's, and I'm sure he can get you the Vin as well if you send him a PM. I'll see if I can find an old insurance sheet when I get home. It is at Bob's place. Bob is available on Sunday IIRC, but I'm sure if you met him up after work you'd be able to pull it as well. IIRC its still attached to the L27 (out of the car) but it shouldn't be a big deal unbolting it.

My transmission is from a 1995, which is why this thread caught my attention when it was mentioned that these should be the same from 1994 up.

Robert and Ken should be able to answer any further compatibility questions.

PRNDL parity is identical.

shift solenoids identical.

TCC and TCC PWM identical.

connectors should be the same.

the only thing that must be done is replacing the Differential to correct the gear ratio to use in a 3100 95.

We should look at ones for a 91-93 sometime, as I have been told a 3800 trans installed in a 3x00 car with burn out the pcm(or something?). so this does not apply to this trans, at least!!!!!!!!!! woot!

We should look at ones for a 91-93 sometime, as I have been told a 3800 trans installed in a 3x00 car with burn out the pcm(or something?). so this does not apply to this trans, at least!!!!!!!!!! woot!

odd... i don't know where you heard this, but the 91-93 uses the same shift and TCC solenoid(no TCC PWM), and the only other electrical difference i can think of is the massively more complicated PRNDL circuits that the 94-up(possibly 93, i haven't looked)3800 and all 3100s use.

swap the differential.

and apparently, the P/N switch.

EDIT: and it looks like a 95 3800W has a 31 tooth reluctor compared to the 30 tooth the 3100 PCM is expecting. that would make the PCM think the vehicle is traveling 3.33% faster than it really is.

Edited by RobertISaar

swapping diffs is no problem. and of course the ratios are different. if they weren't, there would be no reason to swap them. i wouldn't know about the p/n switch... AFAIK, the tranny only has the one 4 pair switch for PRNDL. i'm not sure where a p/n would be... the PCM converts the 4 pair into a useable p/n signal for various things.

swapping diffs is no problem. and of course the ratios are different. if they weren't, there would be no reason to swap them. i wouldn't know about the p/n switch... AFAIK, the tranny only has the one 4 pair switch for PRNDL. i'm not sure where a p/n would be... the PCM converts the 4 pair into a useable p/n signal for various things.

I was thinking gear ratios as in the length of each gear from 1st to 4th. :think:

Rich, what year is your car??

1995 - I need to keep this relatively simple or else the guy who's supposed to install this (if he needs to) will kill me.

1995 - I need to keep this relatively simple or else the guy who's supposed to install this (if he needs to) will kill me.

Drive itt here, OBD2 swap, trans install, and tune.

problem solved.

Otherwise, no itt wont work due to gearing, fuel calculations will be goobered up a bit with incorrect trans ratio

Drive itt here, OBD2 swap, trans install, and tune.

problem solved.

Otherwise, no itt wont work due to gearing, fuel calculations will be goobered up a bit with incorrect trans ratio

Bob,

If I drove AMY there we'd need to swap out the engine as well . . . it's that bad.

You want to vacation to Canada - fine. Otherwise AMY is stuck here.