Engine sticking @ 1500 RPM's . . . .

Breakdown

Had the car over to Matt for a test drive, Lil' Amy is getting stuck at 1500 RPM's, you're driving it locks in @ 1500 RPM and then you hit the gas and the engine vibrates and slowly speeds up.

It seems to still shift well, but gets bogged down at this 1500 crap, if you continue to just push the issue with the gas pedal eventually it gets out of the funk (we're talking 10 seconds here), but if you lay off the gas it'll usually figure it's stuff out.

As a note for Matt - seriously sorry about dropping by unannounced. I was on the way to Home Depot, my mechanic has been driving Amy for three days now and nothing. After picking up my crap from Home Depot immediately after leaving your house, it stopped the non-sense, I tried driving easy, hard, A/C on, A/C off, nothing, if you had offered me money I couldn't have gotten it to do a repeat of what it did when Matt was driving it. Just drove fluently and without any issue.

The only thing that was notable, is that the bi-level fans (the internal ones) did NOT seem to be interchanging at regular intervals. Vacuum leak?? That's my mechanic's idea. Then again he's only heard about the problem, not experienced it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RobertISaar

• Breakdown

• xtremerevolution

• Crazy K

did you try applying the brake pedal slightly, enough to trip the brake light switch, while the car is stuck in it's funky mode? that should release the tcc.

did you try applying the brake pedal slightly, enough to trip the brake light switch, while the car is stuck in it's funky mode? that should release the tcc.

It does release it sometimes, and not others.

I've found just letting off of the gas and trying again will also get it's ass in gear.

I just spoke to a transmission place. And he's like my dad, "definitely sounds like a transmission problem if it won't shift, when you said it vibrates the tachometer is going through the roof??"

NO!!!! It's stuck @ 1500 RPM!!

I understand the constant questions - because some people don't know their ass from a hole in the ground, so from the repair man's side of the coin I understand, it's more than less just frustrating me.

This is the word that I have from the transmission place. Torque Converter lockup is mainly (or only) a problem in the 3-speed without the overdrive. Can anyone confirm - Aaron??

The guy I talked to there (Joe - for Matt who may be interested) stated that he felt this was an engine problem, and not transmission related - GO ENGINE PROBLEM???)

Edited by Breakdown

at 15 years old now(i think), any transmission is prone to having issues...

dropping the throttle will also have the PCM disconnect the TCC, so something is definitely up...

My Olds has a 4t60e so, I'm in the same boat as you.

Mine always unlocks fine when I step on the brake, and unlocks when I use the "increase speed" button on the cruise control, so we might be having the same problem caused by different things.

Any Codes?

None at all. As stated last night. The only time I've ever seen a code on one of these cars is when one of mine was idling over 3,000 RPM.

It's just confused. And it shutters (and sounds just sickly) when you try and hit gas when it's in drone mode.

This car is NOT unlocking on the high end by applying the brakes, I think that it's actually hurting my braking if anything.

Any luck with this? I was checking this morning, before starting to put my Cutlass back together (again)...

had a similar issue, turned out to be a frayed cruise cable.

AMY had a good day on Friday, I was hoping to cold start her after work and run into trouble. Took her on errands everywhere, nothing, could not get a sniff of the problem. Then drove her out of town for my hockey game on Friday night, again no problem. They way home. TC locks and won't unlock, brakes, cruise nothing will get it off.

Took her out yesterday and she unlocks, a little, but not much, today I'm hoping to have her in, she's not working right at all!

Matt was complaining about the braking. The brakes aren't what's causing the vibes while braking ITS THE ENGINE - this cannot be good for the car, it's like the opposite of engine braking.

it's a temp fix, and would likely set off a SES light, but you could unplug the 2 wires that allow for TCC lock....

Transmission place said that this will overheat the transmission and eventually kill it. Eventually meaning probably 2 months.

AMY's spent the night there, and provided that they can jump her will be there for diagnostics today, run a few tests, etc. It is torque converter lockup, but they'll try and determine if it's a solenoid (potentially two) or the whole thing that's all fubared.

Can BGA's tranny be a straight swap??

You mean the one from my 99?

I'm sure that you wouldn't want to donate one out of your 2003, besides - wrong engine. The 99 one.

Shouldn't you be saying: "I have a transmission for sale - who the hell is BGA??"

Transmission place said that this will overheat the transmission and eventually kill it. Eventually meaning probably 2 months.

WUT?!

the PCM will actually force the converter to unlock if either the coolant temp or trans temp gets too high in an ettempt to cool everything down...

The guy from this tranny shop is a straight shooter.

I just got the diagnostic back from them. He says either there's a valve that's stuck or it's a solenoid. He's leaning towards valve that's stuck, and if it's that he thinks that just points to bigger problems.

So, I'm going to drive AMY home to spend some time with AJAM.

The gameplan is this.

1.) Have a donor transmission lined up.

2.) AMY will go in on a Thursday night/Friday morning for work on a Friday afternoon.

3.) They drop the transmission out, and open up the casing and explore.

4a) Things look good: Put casing back on, clean valve, and replace solenoids.

4b) Things look bad, phone me and I'll get the donor transmission there for Monday morning.

I don't think the trans out of a 99 will work in your 95

a 99 3100?

FDR, VSS, mounts, axles, possibly the tranny connector plugs....

it should all be the same.