89 Grand Prix 3.1 turbo 5 speed swap- see 1st post for updated pics

Mach 5

Finally putting this up... Well since I lost 3rd gear on my auto and detonated a piston on the 3.1 I decided an overhaul was in order.

Pics:

http://s877.photobucket.com/albums/ab334/Hachi85/Radical%20Revs%201989%20Grand%20Prix%20turbo%205%20speed%20swap/

http://s877.photobucket.com/albums/ab334/Hachi85/Radical%20Revs%201989%20Grand%20Prix%20turbo%205%20speed%20swap/?albumview=slideshow

http://s877.photobucket.com/home/Hachi85/index

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1155573842&ref=mf#/album.php?aid=52999&id=1155573842

http://www.cardomain.com/id/JareksGP

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2566538

Im updating the links with new pics so stay tuned for anybody who is interested. Motor should be done within the month if not the week and I have basically everything ready to go.

Edited by Mach 5

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mach 5

• intern8tion9l

• RobertISaar

• 94GPGTP

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whats napier rings and where can I get forged pistons for this thing? S-K Speed wanted $850 for custom ones from JE. I figured that since the car will be driven alot the hypers would be better since Im sure with a forged piston, slap is increased when cold and will wear the skirts faster.:dunno: I also figured that if Kuntzie can run his build on a stock LG5 piston which I believe is just a coated cast piston then the hypers will be one step above.

-Jarek

Whats napier rings and where can I get forged pistons for this thing? S-K Speed wanted $850 for custom ones from JE. I figured that since the car will be driven alot the hypers would be better since Im sure with a forged piston, slap is increased when cold and will wear the skirts faster.:dunno: I also figured that if Kuntzie can run his build on a stock LG5 piston which I believe is just a coated cast piston then the hypers will be one step above.

-Jarek

The pistons them selves wont wear anything faster, its the rings that make contact and seal. For the 3.1MPFI, the Napier rings arnt offered. But depending on how much boost you wanna run, forged pistons might wanna be something you invest in.

I thought about it but I wanted the older style plenum in there. I want the look of the turbo grand prix motor but in an SE. I know the plenum and heads flow a ton better which is why it crossed my mind. The most Im going to 3500 wise is use the bigger valves.

Thanks I will keep the album updated as much as possible.

-Jarek

Have you figured out why your engine ran lean/detonated yet? The stock TGP pistons are hypereutectic and can be had for under $100 a set IIRC.

Here's a quote about the stock pistons: "Mahle Autothermic Hypereutectic Pistons with Reinforcement Bar/Steel Strut to add strength to the top of the piston, 12% Silicone."

People that have compared TGP engines to NA said that the pistons are the same for what it's worth.

EDIT: Didn't see your newest post. There's not a lot of room in the stock heads for oversized valves. I honestly wouldn't worry about upgrading those considering what people have made with larger turbos on stock junk.

I had a bad coil pack which fractured one of the rings. I didn't catch it till it was too late. It was weak and the car would mis under heavy load then got to the point wear it was running crappy at idle. The second I boosted the stocker was when this happened. I also lost 3rd gear doing some runs so I fured that since the car would be down I would just do everything at once. Right now this car is kicking my a**.

I saw the hood louver pic. did you put that on and close it and it looked like that?

if so, mine did that also and I found out how to get it closed. there is a bracket with some bolts on the core support that need adjustment. it is very easy but had me stumped for a minute.

yeah I was going to ask you about that... Where does that bushing go? I still have it zip tied onto the shifter the way you had it.

I just had the hood propped up it closes fine but Im going to have to see what your talking about just in case I ever have that problem occur.

-I don't know how to setup a poll post so Ill just ask the question...

Hypereutectic pistons form Fedral Mogul or JE Pistons? I could have the JE's made but it would set me back at least a month and a half.

Im going to post more pics later this week. Got the dash back in clutch pedal and shifter/ cables installed, slave is in, finally got the junk yard engine which is going out tomorrow to the machine shop. Just trying to figure out the center consol shifter boot and making a guage pod.

-Jarek

IMG_0414.jpg

It goes on both ends of the cable.. I have already installed the one on the one end but didnt do it on the shifter end.. remove the junk rubber bushing that was previously rigged up and press this one in.. (use light taps with a hammer).. Or use a c-clamp.. Be sure it goes in straight or you will split the plastic and your screwd.. Also use lube. any oil.. and cottor pins on both ends will hold it secure.. :wink:

IMG_0414.jpg

It goes on both ends of the cable.. I have already installed the one on the one end but didnt do it on the shifter end.. remove the junk rubber bushing that was previously rigged up and press this one in.. (use light taps with a hammer).. Or use a c-clamp.. Be sure it goes in straight or you will split the plastic and your screwd.. Also use lube. any oil.. and cottor pins on both ends will hold it secure.. :wink:

Is that brass? How is it going allow side to side movement in the neutral gate?

Steve

I guess I'm confused about what twists instead of the rubber bushings. The purpose of the rubber is to allow a little bit of play on each end for getting into the 1-2 and 5-R gates. Without those it seems the movement out of the 3-4 gate would be difficult.

I don't want to derail the thread but if you could sometime I would be interested in your Eldorado 5-speed project info. That sounds like a neat idea. I have a Allante project car that might be happy with that set-up. So umm... back to the TGP!

I got the new junk motor. Some pics added to the album. I got the motor apart and is at the speed shop being machined. Im going back monday to talk more about it after they are done magnafluxing everything. Im am definitely ordering JE pistons possibly raising the compression up to 9.2- 9.4:1. I may do Eagle rods depending on if they feel it is necessary but they seem to believe that they will be alright with arp bolts.

-Jarek

• 1 month later...

Alright well my wait is getting shorter as the machine shops deadline is about 3 weeks to a month. The turbo came in the mail this weekend -Garrett GT3071R w/ antisurge porting. Battery has been mounted in the trunk and everything is waiting to be bolted up when the motor is fully machined which would still have to be put together. I wound up ordering the JE pistons which should be arriving in a few days I hope. The block has been bored out from 89mm to 89.5mm so not too bad.

Im going to be updating my cardomain and put up some pics on here as well

-Jarek

• 2 weeks later...