Thinking about a 3400 top swap and have questions.

tornado_735

Or you could just unbolt the log manifolds where they meet the x-over :lol:

FK

I didn't even think of that

And to think you wanted to do it the hard way :lol2:

damn you Jay...now I have to do more work.

Still need to get all my parts though...then Port/polish and Powdercoat them..

Hey, you gotta catch up to me sometime! :lol:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tornado_735

• 19Cutlass94

• AWeb80

• Crazy K

Top Posters In This Topic

uh... you going all out trying to race it?

I would imagine you could just get a j/y 3400 and drop it in for better results.... and do the intakes on it before it goes in...

You do NOT have to do the heads. you can if you want, but it just adds ALOT more cost for 5-10 more HP... People have stuck the large bore 3100/3400 intakes on 94-95 motors while retaining the stock ball and pivot rockers.

if in doubt, go look at 60degreev6.com for info.

I know Ken. I still plan on doing just the intakes.

my new exhaust manifolds help tremendously...I can pull on my local friends 95 GP w/ 3400 top swap w/ just my new manifolds and DP.

EDIT: and can hang w/ Buck's 3800 monte to 85ish

Not sure what your looking to spend, or how much shipping would be, but I have most of what you'd need to do a top swap. It came off my girlfriend's 02 alero that spun a bearing. It would include everything from the heads up, as well as timing cover, alt bracket, oil pan and pickup, and any other parts I have left from it. I scrapped the block, pistons, crank and camshaft I believe. Heads, TB, LIM/UIM, Fuel rail and injectors, exhaust manifolds, an O2 sensor, and whatever brackets I had are included. Was asking $150 for it all. it's all still greasy. had 127k on it, and the bearing showed up out of the blue.

100_1413.jpg

i just need the upper and lower intakes and tb. and a couple of the brackets. how does 125 shipped sound? you can keep the rest to sell separately.

MAKE SURE YOU GET THE ONES THAT SAY "00" on them. those are the best. the ones in the pic don't look like it.

if you are serious, adam. I can get you the PROPER ones... Call me.

VALVE COVERS ARE THE SAME: BUT some 94s and 95s have PLASTIC valve covers. replace those with aluminum ones... period.

ZING!

This last part could be the first mod on a small port 3100. The stock 52mm throttle body will flow approx 281cfm at 1.5Hg. A 56mm TB can be found on any 96-05 3400, and while it is not a direct bolt on due to the linkage, it is as simple as swapping the linkage for that drop on modification. This unit flows approx 327cfm at 1.5Hg.

Since this is the stock size for the large port manifolds, it should be considered the minimum upgrade on throttle body size for this swap. 56mm is still a bottleneck for the intake however, which is why the 62 and 65mm throttle bodies are popular. A 62mm unit flows approx 400cfm at 1.5Hg and 440cfm at 1.5Hg for the 65mm. There is a point where the throttlebody becomes no more effective, but considerably harder to drive on the street, and is the reason 65mm is the largest recommended for this swap.

The throttle body on the left is the 94-96 style, if not more years included. The middle is a 99 alero 3100 style, which is also a 52mm plate. The unit on the right is a 99-05 grand am 3400 45mm TB. The linkages are closest in the picture

This is a 52mm plate on top of a 56mm plate.

that says the grand am 3400 got a 45mm TB, which would intuitively indicate the Alero would have the same... but lets not digress. The biggest factory size is 56mm. measure it.

101_0314.jpg

101_0315.jpg

101_0316.jpg

101_0317.jpg

There are better pictures. It is an 00 Lower. And the better upper as in the thread linked.

And Send me a PM on exactly what you are looking for and we can work something out. Probably won't be able to sell the rest by itself, but if I can clear up some garage space, I'm fine with that.

Epic pwnage:( Yes, all 3400 are 56mm. I have fixed the article.

Those manifolds are good, so long as there are no cracks. Check the injector bosses, the gasket mating surfaces, and around the bolt holes.

Epic pwnage:( Yes, all 3400 are 56mm. I have fixed the article.

Those manifolds are good, so long as there are no cracks. Check the injector bosses, the gasket mating surfaces, and around the bolt holes.

:thumb: :lol: