Tell me: a steal?

Lumineer

Ok maybe im biased but why not fixs up your Lumina nice? Swap in Euro parts....

Compared to the Reatta, the Lumina is boring to sit in and drive. I have respect for it, don't get me wrong, and it IS a strong, reliable car. I just want something a little different now. We've had the Lumina for several years, and I've driven it at least 2/3 of that time. I've always taken pride in it, but once I started to look at other cars, I decided to be more open to different styles of car.

I don't feel like putting too much money into my Lumina. I like the base look anyway, and the only mods I'd do are engine swaps. As far as the lumina is concerned, I'd rather it be a sleeper car than a shiny, sporty looking car. But the Reatta appeals to me. I love the setup and design of the interior way more. Just the interior of the Reatta alone make it more fun. Plus, they're classic cars and would garner at least SOME more respect. Not to mention that if I say I drive a 3.8L V6 luxury sports coupe, that sounds more impressive than a family 3.1L V6 sedan.

Your opinion I guess, however I love my 3 Luminas and crusing in them, and probably will not get rid of any of em.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lumineer

• oldscsc

• Breakdown

• Crazy K

Ok maybe im biased but why not fixs up your Lumina nice? Swap in Euro parts....

Compared to the Reatta, the Lumina is boring to sit in and drive. I have respect for it, don't get me wrong, and it IS a strong, reliable car. I just want something a little different now. We've had the Lumina for several years, and I've driven it at least 2/3 of that time. I've always taken pride in it, but once I started to look at other cars, I decided to be more open to different styles of car.

I don't feel like putting too much money into my Lumina. I like the base look anyway, and the only mods I'd do are engine swaps. As far as the lumina is concerned, I'd rather it be a sleeper car than a shiny, sporty looking car. But the Reatta appeals to me. I love the setup and design of the interior way more. Just the interior of the Reatta alone make it more fun. Plus, they're classic cars and would garner at least SOME more respect. Not to mention that if I say I drive a 3.8L V6 luxury sports coupe, that sounds more impressive than a family 3.1L V6 sedan.

Your opinion I guess, however I love my 3 Luminas and crusing in them, and probably will not get rid of any of em.

And I respect that :smile: Like I said, the Lumina is a good, reliable car. But the Reatta just makes me frilly, lol. If the car turns out to be a very good car after purchasing it, we're going to give my brother one last chance to take possession of the Lumina. If he rejects.....who knows......

Apparently, my dad wants to buy a new car soon too, so they may even take the Lumina AND Maxima and try to trade them in for a new car. Sounds like a good idea.

If nothing gets in my way, I'll get the car for sure tomorrow, and then I'll make a video walkaround of it to show the pros and cons (mostly pros, from what I saw and felt).

Damn, I want another Lumi!

I'd have nothing against selling it to you.....but it's unlikely to happen unfortunately. It WOULD make a good project car. You'd get to have fun upgrading the engine and tranny, and you could fix up the interior and exterior a bit.

I'd have nothing against selling it to you.....but it's unlikely to happen unfortunately. It WOULD make a good project car. You'd get to have fun upgrading the engine and tranny, and you could fix up the interior and exterior a bit.

Meh, I want a Maui Blue or Grey/Silver Euro 3.1 4 speed.

There is a Maui Blue 3.1 4-speed base model in Red Oak, Iowa. It's at the Hawkeye Ford dealership. You should check it out.

There is a Maui Blue 3.1 4-speed base model in Red Oak, Iowa. It's at the Hawkeye Ford dealership. You should check it out.

There was a Bright Red Sweet Euro on Ebay a month ago with 40k on it listed for $3900. MINT! She was sweet from Virginia. I would take another Euro, possibly a 3.4 Euro.

There was a Bright Red Sweet Euro on Ebay a month ago with 40k on it listed for $3900. MINT! She was sweet from Virginia. I would take another Euro, possibly a 3.4 Euro.

Yeah, but the one I'm talking about has 67k and is listed for $1995. That would save you money for Euro body work and a paint job :biggrin: Of course....the 3.4 would be a bit more.....

The 3.1L V6 was never rated 180lb/sqft

Yes they were...

Yeah, I was clueless as to where he got THAT from....you can read it anywhere.....

Sorry, I'm usually spot on with my numers, for some reason I thought they were always in the 165-175 (must have been think HP on 3100 or something) range. Oops. Had to look it up and man was my face red when I did.

Humbled again.

My research turns up that the Reatta only gets to 60 in about 9.1 seconds (official track tests back in the day) and tops out at about 122-125 mph. I also read that the quarter mile at the time was only 17.1 seconds. Still a cool car, but with the 3800, it's still just as slow as my Lumina, based on what I've read.

I'm not reading 6 pages, but I don't think almost 2 grand for a 16-year old base lumina sedan is a steal by any rate.

I know. Good thing I'm getting a different and better car (IMO).

I'm also late in the game, but I'd say it was a fine deal. You can't buy a car with 60k on it for under 2 grand. A 16 year old car with 60k on it will last just as long as a 4 year old car with 60k on it. And it'll cost 12 thousand dollars less. Plus it'll be much cheaper insurance-wise. I buy mileage and condition over age I guess.

I'm not reading 6 pages, but I don't think almost 2 grand for a 16-year old base lumina sedan is a steal by any rate.

I know. Good thing I'm getting a different and better car (IMO).

I'm also late in the game, but I'd say it was a fine deal. You can't buy a car with 60k on it for under 2 grand. A 16 year old car with 60k on it will last just as long as a 4 year old car with 60k on it. And it'll cost 12 thousand dollars less. Plus it'll be much cheaper insurance-wise. I buy mileage and condition over age I guess.

I agree. IF the car is in good shape, and not a lemon, then it is worth the money (a 3.1 with low miles will last until retirement.....well, you get the point)