Tell me: a steal?

Lumineer

Alright, so today, I was browsing through Automotive.com for a potential new car, when I came across a stunning offer. A 1992 Chevy Lumina base 4-door with only 67k!!! They're asking only $1,995 for it, but I know I can get it for quite a bit less. I plan on buying in cold cash, and I'll trade-in my current Lumina as a plus (they won't be able to resist the offer....hopefully). Now, some may ask: why buy another car that is virtually identical to your current one? Well, there are a number of things nice about this new one:

1) it is a very vibrant Maui Blue instead of my current Gray

2) it comes with actualy alloy rims instead of steel wheels

3) it has the 4T60E 4-speed auto tranny instead of my current 3-speed

4) it comes with a full guage cluster set up, instead of my current, boring base cluster (I can't read any info on my damn car as I drive)

5) it has 67k miles, instead of 110k

6) it's in better condition

7) power driver's seat

What do you think? A good buy to replace my more worn, less featured car?

It's located in Red Oak, Iowa at the Hawkeye Ford dealership (now you know the location, but leave the offer alone. I shall be the first to taste it :cool: )

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lumineer

• oldscsc

• Breakdown

• Crazy K

I love the base models, although a Z34 would be sweet, but I was unable to find one anywhere. So, I figured, why not take advantage this rare offer and get the car while I can, which happens to be better than my current one. Plus, in the future, I could always do an engine swap or other upgrades.

I don't know why you'd like the base over say, a euro, but if that's what you like, go for it. Why do you like the base model so much? You'd probably like a higher optioned car if you actually drove one for a week.

I don't know why you'd like the base over say, a euro, but if that's what you like, go for it. Why do you like the base model so much? You'd probably like a higher optioned car if you actually drove one for a week.

I don't know, I'm just really attached to my current base Lumina and this was the only car that was affordable for me, yet at the same time a good deal AND coincidentally, was a type of car that I loved. While I plan on looking at it and likely buying it no matter what, I was just curious to see what other people thought, specifically ones that had bought cars before. This will be my first car to buy myself, and I'm looking forward to it. Hell, I may even have it in time to show to some of the GP club members on Friday night (I thought I'd meet some fellow W-body owners, even though mine is a Lumina, not a GP).

too bad you arent closer. you could buy my 98 GP for just a bit more.

that said, why not look for some 2nd gen in the 3-4k range?

Well, I had seen some 2nd gens that were rather affordable, but I really like the looks of the older Luminas. I love the 1st gens. I'm also a cocky 3.1 Lumina owner, lol. This car is so me.

Well, I had seen some 2nd gens that were rather affordable, but I really like the looks of the older Luminas. I love the 1st gens. I'm also a cocky 3.1 Lumina owner, lol. This car is so me.

Get an LQ1 Lumina, it will move better than the 3.1, even if the car itself weighs more.

well in that case, i say go for it !

Get an LQ1 Lumina, it will move better than the 3.1, even if the car itself weighs more.

Couldn't find any within my budget. The only ones within budget of the generation I wanted were 3.1s. Any cars I saw with the 3.4 were either too far or too much money. I saw some 3.8s too, but still too much. My budget is anything close to 2000 or less.

Get an international, they are bad a$$.

http://lincoln.craigslist.org/ctd/833396785.html

Hmm, what I liked about that car was that it's right here in my hometown and costs WAY less than the Lumina I want, plus it has a floor-mounted shifter.......but, it has more mileage on it and looks more worn. Plus, the Lumina I'm looking at looks less common than that International and a tad classier.

Get an international, they are bad a$$.

http://lincoln.craigslist.org/ctd/833396785.html

Hmm, what I liked about that car was that it's right here in my hometown and costs WAY less than the Lumina I want, plus it has a floor-mounted shifter.......but, it has more mileage on it and looks more worn.  Plus, the Lumina I'm looking at looks less common than that International and a tad classier.

International's are loaded...paint the hood and you'll be good. It's got steering wheel controls, sporty everything, and it will handle better than a base Lumina.

I looked at the Lumina on Automotive... It did look clean but dealerships always make cars seem that way, honestly if your going to upgrade in cars, upgrade a little farther than 40k miles less... It looked extremely base with maybe 1-2 options at the most. I would call the dealer and get a VIN and carfax it to be safe... Also remember that there is always a reason for a car to be priced that low... Maybe take a day and test drive it for a while but always keep your options open... And that international is rarer than the Lumina you are looking at

... $2000 for a BASE '92 LUMINA no matter what the mileage is stretching it to me.

I looked it up, in "Excellent" condition, that car goes for $1375 private party on KBB... $1200 in "Good", which is what this Lumina is.... plus the car you're looking at (I looked the dealer up and found the car you're referring to) does not have alloy wheels, those are wheel covers. Rare wheel covers, but they are wheel covers. Trading your current car will get you nothing, guaranteed, the dealer is not interested in your base-ish Lumina that has more miles than the one you want. They will give you little to nothing for it, and you'll have basically the same car to show for it.

I wouldn't pay a cent more than $1200 for this car myself. If it is indeed a good running car, it's a good running car, but it's not anything special.

It also, I believe, has the 4T60 transmission, the non Electric model, which makes a difference in shifting habits and you'll notice once you've driven both.

Also, having 110k on your Lumina as it is is a rarity. Most of these cars have seen 150k+ and still run. IMO, you're not doing bad with your current car.

well, why dont you buy the base car, and than update it. thats what i did. my gp had stock AM/FM, no HUD, no Trip, Lameo Honeycombs, etc.

today, i have all that, and a TGP hood.

... $2000 for a BASE '92 LUMINA no matter what the mileage is stretching it to me.

I looked it up, in "Excellent" condition, that car goes for $1375 private party on KBB... $1200 in "Good", which is what this Lumina is.... plus the car you're looking at (I looked the dealer up and found the car you're referring to) does not have alloy wheels, those are wheel covers. Rare wheel covers, but they are wheel covers. Trading your current car will get you nothing, guaranteed, the dealer is not interested in your base-ish Lumina that has more miles than the one you want. They will give you little to nothing for it, and you'll have basically the same car to show for it.

I wouldn't pay a cent more than $1200 for this car myself. If it is indeed a good running car, it's a good running car, but it's not anything special.

It also, I believe, has the 4T60 transmission, the non Electric model, which makes a difference in shifting habits and you'll notice once you've driven both.

Also, having 110k on your Lumina as it is is a rarity. Most of these cars have seen 150k+ and still run. IMO, you're not doing bad with your current car.

You make rather good, solid points. I remember that when we bought my current car, it had about 70,000 miles on it and we got it for about $1500. That was several years ago. Regarding the wheel covers, that was a mis-observation on my part, but I don't mind wheel covers (plus, those wheel covers are awesome). Regarding the transmission, even if it IS vacuum-operated, it wouldn't be new to me because my current car already has a vacuum-operated 3-speed. The mileage aspect was one of the selling points for me.

HOWEVER...........after seeing the Cutlass that someone referred me to.....I'm going to check it out and see if it's worth getting. Chances are, I'll be coming home soon with a new Cutlass (If I like it) AND my Lumina. That will be awesome.

well, why dont you buy the base car, and than update it. thats what i did. my gp had stock AM/FM, no HUD, no Trip, Lameo Honeycombs, etc.

today, i have all that, and a TGP hood.

When it comes to cars, the only things I'm interested in upgrading/updating are mechanical-related stuff, specifically engines and transmissions, plus guages on the side. I'm not into interior stuff much and would rather gut a car. That's just me though.

. . . . there's probably a place where you can go and get help with that!

. . . . there's probably a place where you can go and get help with that!

clubgp? :lol: