• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lumineer

• oldscsc

• Breakdown

• Crazy K

Keep looking, you'll regret buying that car I think.

How so?

Also, I came across an '84 300ZX. Any thoughts on those? What about a '95 Pontiac Trans Am for $2000 with the V8?

Keep looking, you'll regret buying that car I think.

How so?

Also, I came across an '84 300ZX. Any thoughts on those? What about a '95 Pontiac Trans Am for $2000 with the V8?

As I recall, you're not that old? Insurance will be a major bitch on those.

how old are you? How long have you been driving?

I try to steer people away from perceived muscle, pony, and sports cars, especially if they are newer to driving.

the 1980 chyrsler sound cool. but it should never be more than a sunday cruiser. DO NOT BUY for DD use, unless you want to tear it up and learn how 12mpg sucks.

84 300zx probably not. probably worn out.

95 trans am? same thing.

be careful when you consider buying an old muscle/pony car. these cars are beaten and beaten hard. when they are sold they go for high dollar for the name but could need $$$$$$$$ for damage from abuse owners.

I recall when my brother was a junior in college he wanted me to find and get him a good used camaro. I laughed in his face. It meant maybe finding a car paying a giant premium for the name, and guaranteed that the car would need alot of work and be expensive to own and insure. remember college = not having any money. it would be my dad paying for his shit box. I gave him a ponitac 6000 the next year which cost me $150 + $500 in parts. and he got in 3 accidents in ten months, the final one totalled it. SHITHEAD.

how long would that $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ camaro have lasted?

I think a Reatta is a good and unique vehicle. is it a 3800 w O/D transmission?

do you have a family mechanic who can put it up on a lift and inspect it?

need I share anymore frankenstein reconstruction stories of cars I have looked at?

Hey, what do you guys think about a 1989 Buick Reatta? Utley's Auto is selling one for $1800 OBO. I read that the Reatta's are rather rare cars, and it looked nice.

The interiors were redone in 1990. I personally like the older style, less grandma-car-like. Some people will tell you to stay away from the computer (radio, diagnostics, gauges [including tach]). They're all 3800 powered so they're reliable. Convertible was also added in 1990, and ran in '90 and '91. IIRC in '91 there were only like 500 convertible Reatta's made, so collectors go crazy for them and expect to give an arm and a leg for one.

need I share anymore frankenstein reconstruction stories of cars I have looked at?

It IS a 3800 (I read that all of them were) and does have Overdrive. And yes, my mom has a friend who is a former mechanic and can inspect it. Assuming there is nothing majorly wrong with this car, should I go for it?

It IS a 3800 (I read that all of them were) and does have Overdrive. And yes, my mom has a friend who is a former mechanic and can inspect it. Assuming there is nothing majorly wrong with this car, should I go for it?

Make sure the computer works. These cars are filled with electronics that are costly to fix. I wanted one for a while, but I liked other cars better. I want an SVX.

it could be a good deal. plus, the hard mechanical parts are common enough that you could be a j/y engine if you needed it.

there can be occasional electronics issues that could cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

but at this time, do you really want or need a two seater?

have ANY vehicle inspected by this friend. any vehicle that has problems you should walk away from.

it could be a good deal. plus, the hard mechanical parts are common enough that you could be a j/y engine if you needed it.

there can be occasional electronics issues that could cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

but at this time, do you really want or need a two seater?

have ANY vehicle inspected by this friend. any vehicle that has problems you should walk away from.

I'll take that into account. I don't NEED a 2-seater, but I've always wanted one. The MAJORITY of the time, I'm by myself when I drive. If I have anyone with me, it's usually my brother. So, a two-seater shouldn't do me any harm.

Well, I looked at the Reatta and it's in fantastic shape. For starters, it only has 101k on it right now. I checked all the electronics and they all work superbly. Although, the driver's side window doesn't like to roll back up. The interior is in very good shape, with a little wear here and there. The exterior needs a new coat of paint (primer is showing), but otherwise the body is in solid condition with no rust. The undercarriage was also clean and minimally rusty, although the exhaust tips were a bit rusted. The tires are brand new with lots of tread. ALL the lights work, and the headlights come up without a problem. The steering wheel is not factory, however, as it had been replaced with a classic style steering wheel (has a metal, 3-spoke wheel). The dash and digital devices all work fine, and the lights are bright. Climate controls are strong. The engine bay and the engine itself are, visually, very clean. The car starts right up and runs quiet. I drove the car and it shifts smoothly with a very smooth running, strong 3800. The trunk opens easily, and the trunk button still works.

Story behind the car:

A man had brought the car to Utley's Auto to have some work done (brakes), but also wanted to get a new car. He decided that he didn't want to have get the brakes worked on, so he sold the car to the owner of the shop. The owner is an older fellow who is somewhat hard of hearing, but spoke very pleasantly of the car. He's the head mechanic of the shop (just a mom-and-pop shop, with one or two other dudes there. It has a 4-car garage setup, and a picture of the place shows the year 1972). He said he didn't know a lot about the car, but from what he knew, its transmission appeared to be good and the engine was in great shape. He confirmed that it WILL need brake work, but otherwise there is nothing majorly wrong with the car, although the driver's window needs to be fixed. He advertised the car on Craigslist for $1800 OBO, but when I asked him about the price, he said $395. I asked why, and he said winter is coming and he would like to get the car out of the parking lot before winter. I thought that sounded like a major steal, so me and my mother agreed to it. Plus, he doesn't normally buy or sell cars (it's not a dealership, just an auto shop).

So, the plan tomorrow (Thursday) is to go back to the shop with the paperwork, and we'll buy the car from the guy, while keeping my Lumina. We're still going to see what happens to the Lumi.

Questions:

Are there any notorious things to worry about on this car (it's an '89)? Also, are parts easy to find? because I know these cars are rather rare. And although it's not a "performance" car, does it have any potential with the stock engine/tranny setup? Can the engine be supercharged (it's a Series 1 3800). Lastly, with the assumption that it will run strong on WOT (IF I should ever do that......), would it outrun a Lumina 3.1?

Lastly, with the assumption that it will run strong on WOT (IF I should ever do that......), would it outrun a Lumina 3.1?

It should be able to slaughter all Lumina 3.1's, it has a decent weight advantage (less weight) and a more powerful engine. You should be able to spin the tires rather violently.

But, not faster than your Lumina, seeing as how it can outrun Mustangs, Camaros, G35's, and the Pike's Peak 1988 Turbo Grand Prix.

For $395, it sounds like an amazing deal, I'd pretty much gamble on it at that price.

Lastly, with the assumption that it will run strong on WOT (IF I should ever do that......), would it outrun a Lumina 3.1?

It should be able to slaughter all Lumina 3.1's, it has a decent weight advantage (less weight) and a more powerful engine. You should be able to spin the tires rather violently.

But, not faster than your Lumina, seeing as how it can outrun Mustangs, Camaros, G35's, and the Pike's Peak 1988 Turbo Grand Prix.

For $395, it sounds like an amazing deal, I'd pretty much gamble on it at that price.

Actually, I've read up on the curb weights for both cars, and the lumina comes in at ~3250, while the Reatta comes in at ~3400 range. Second, comparing the engine power of each yields not that big a difference. The 3.1, out of the factory, was rated 140 horsepower with 180 torque, but the 3800 that the Reatta has is rated 165-170 horsepower with 210-220 torque.

About my Lumina, I've never outrun a Camaro, or raced a turbo prix. All the cars I've raced were everyday vehicles that didn't boast any sort of outstanding performance. The Mustang I raced was only a V6 automatic. The Grand Am I raced, which had the DOHC 2.4L, was a VERY CLOSE race. Me and my coworker started accelerating after leaving the turn onto the highway. Although our cars accelerated nearly identically, MY car was VERY SLIGHTLY (feather-weight slightly) passing him. You could hardly see the difference at all.

Actually, I've read up on the curb weights for both cars, and the lumina comes in at ~3250, while the Reatta comes in at ~3400 range. Second, comparing the engine power of each yields not that big a difference. The 3.1, out of the factory, was rated 140 horsepower with 180 torque, but the 3800 that the Reatta has is rated 165-170 horsepower with 210-220 torque.

About my Lumina, I've never outrun a Camaro, or raced a turbo prix. All the cars I've raced were everyday vehicles that didn't boast any sort of outstanding performance. The Mustang I raced was only a V6 automatic. The Grand Am I raced, which had the DOHC 2.4L, was a VERY CLOSE race. Me and my coworker started accelerating after leaving the turn onto the highway. Although our cars accelerated nearly identically, MY car was VERY SLIGHTLY (feather-weight slightly) passing him. You could hardly see the difference at all.

The 3.1L V6 was never rated 180lb/sqft, even if it was 40 pounds of torque is a big difference. I believe that the 3.8's are a full second faster on the 1/4 mile, all things being equal. I'll have to check my numbers on the Reatta weights. Lumina coupe is closer to 3250, I think yours will run about 3,300.

Assuming there is nothing majorly wrong with this car, should I go for it?

Personally, I wouldn't.. Reattas are cool cars, I'll give it that. But, I would not rely on it as a DD when you have no other car.. Next year it will be 20 years old. If it hasn't been kept up well, then it could start needing a lot of stuff.. Plus if the touch screen goes out (which it very well could, how many 20 year old computer monitors do you see?), that essentially disables your climate control, radio, etc (unless theres some other way to control it that I don't know about)... Maybe the touch screens are plentiful, but I seriously doubt it..

The 3.1L V6 was never rated 180lb/sqft, even if it was 40 pounds of torque is a big difference. I believe that the 3.8's are a full second faster on the 1/4 mile, all things being equal. I'll have to check my numbers on the Reatta weights. Lumina coupe is closer to 3250, I think yours will run about 3,300.

I weighed my car, and I got 3160.

The Grand Am I raced, which had the DOHC 2.4L, was a VERY CLOSE race. Me and my coworker started accelerating after leaving the turn onto the highway. Although our cars accelerated nearly identically, MY car was VERY SLIGHTLY (feather-weight slightly) passing him. You could hardly see the difference at all.

That 2.4L should have had at least a carlength on you. We have one in our Malibu and it could outrun a 3.1L easily.

Ok maybe im biased but why not fixs up your Lumina nice? Swap in Euro parts....

Compared to the Reatta, the Lumina is boring to sit in and drive. I have respect for it, don't get me wrong, and it IS a strong, reliable car. I just want something a little different now. We've had the Lumina for several years, and I've driven it at least 2/3 of that time. I've always taken pride in it, but once I started to look at other cars, I decided to be more open to different styles of car.

I don't feel like putting too much money into my Lumina. I like the base look anyway, and the only mods I'd do are engine swaps. As far as the lumina is concerned, I'd rather it be a sleeper car than a shiny, sporty looking car. But the Reatta appeals to me. I love the setup and design of the interior way more. Just the interior of the Reatta alone make it more fun. Plus, they're classic cars and would garner at least SOME more respect. Not to mention that if I say I drive a 3.8L V6 luxury sports coupe, that sounds more impressive than a family 3.1L V6 sedan.