• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lumineer

• oldscsc

• Breakdown

• Crazy K

So......I went and looked the International over. I WANT IT!!!! Here are the specs:

1991 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme International

- 4 door

- 3.1L LHO V6

- 4 speed floor-mounted transmission/shifter

- 127k miles

- white paint job (flaking a bit)

- all the bells and whistles

The Cutlass was really cool. I looked it over and it appears to be in fairly good shape. There were a few things that needed work. The battery was drained, and required a bit of a charge to get the car to start (the result of people leaving lights on and various other things, plus sitting around for awhile). The engine definitely needs a tune up because the car is sluggish (way more than my Lumina). It accelerated much slower than the Lumina, and if I gave it some hard gas, it took awhile for it to kick up the power. The exhaust sounded awesome. It's a stock exhaust with a leak (according to the salesman), but it sounds like a glasspack, lol. Fuckin' sweet. I loved the digital display, and I'm surprised at how techy the car is for its age. It's got shitloads of stuff compared to my Lumina, which has NOTHING (no ABS, no CD player, no floor shifter, just a 3-speed, base guage cluster, etc). I forgot to test the electronic controls while I was there though. Also, the right front tire was half-flat when I looked at it. Also, the hood latch inside the car is gone (like it was ripped out). So, to open the hood, there is a piece of wire attached to the hood latch that I have to pull in order to unlock the hood. The engine is a little dirtier looking than my Lumina's, but otherwise appears to be fine. I wasn't able to sign for the today, though, because I'm not 19. So, tomorrow, I'm going to have my mom and her friend (former mechanic) come with me to look the car over and then if all is well......I'm getting the car :fluffy: :peace: :jumpalot:

So......I went and looked the International over. I WANT IT!!!! Here are the specs:

- 4 door

- 3.1L LHO V6

- 127k miles

The Cutlass was really cool. I looked it over and it appears to be in fairly good shape. There were a few things that needed work. The battery was drained, and required a bit of a charge to get the car to start (the result of people leaving lights on and various other things, plus sitting around for awhile). The engine definitely needs a tune up because the car is sluggish (way more than my Lumina). It accelerated much slower than the Lumina, and if I gave it some hard gas, it took awhile for it to kick up the power. The exhaust sounded awesome. It's a stock exhaust with a leak (according to the salesman), but it sounds like a glasspack, lol. Fuckin' sweet. I loved the digital display, and I'm surprised at how techy the car is for its age. It's got shitloads of stuff compared to my Lumina, which has NOTHING (no ABS, no CD player, no floor shifter, just a 3-speed, base guage cluster, etc). I forgot to test the electronic controls while I was there though. Also, the right front tire was half-flat when I looked at it. Also, the hood latch inside the car is gone (like it was ripped out). So, to open the hood, there is a piece of wire attached to the hood latch that I have to pull in order to unlock the hood. The engine is a little dirtier looking than my Lumina's, but otherwise appears to be fine. I wasn't able to sign for the today, though, because I'm not 19. So, tomorrow, I'm going to have my mom and her friend (former mechanic) come with me to look the car over and then if all is well......I'm getting the car :fluffy: :peace: :jumpalot:

You can conseal the wire to unhook the hood well if you have a black hood bra on the front (plus it will look bad ass), having two severely older cars is never that great an idea. Brian P is right save your money, you'll be kicking your own ass when you're trying to buy a house a couple of years down the road. You're probably going to have to blow money on a new battery within the first year. I don't understand your comment about the 3 speed dash if the car has a four-speed.

- 4 door

- 3.1L LHO V6

- 127k miles

You can conseal the wire to unhook the hood well if you have a black hood bra on the front (plus it will look bad ass), having two severely older cars is never that great an idea. Brian P is right save your money, you'll be kicking your own ass when you're trying to buy a house a couple of years down the road. You're probably going to have to blow money on a new battery within the first year. I don't understand your comment about the 3 speed dash if the car has a four-speed.

I'm aware that I'll be owning two old cars, but I love older cars, plus, they're cheap to buy. I don't have plans for a house in the future, just apartments. I'm also willing to take the time to have a tune up done, the wipers fixed, a new tire if necessary, and I'll do my own interior/exterior cleaning (it's rather dusty). Like I said, I did a quick visual inspection, including the undercarriage, and rust is minimal with everything looking to be fairly solid. Tires are a bit worn and old, but that's easily fixed. I mean, it really doesn't seem to need anything major done to it, just simple shop work and it's good to go. Plus, some of that work can be done by my mom's friend, who works on cars for fun and only charges a case of beer. My past experience with his work is that he does a good job.

I'm actually thinking that I might try to trade in the Lumina. My brother used his incredible manipulation skills and said that if I buy the International and keep the Lumina too, he'll just drive the International whenever it's around (which I don't want him to do). He said he HAAAAAATTTTTTTEEEESSSSS the Lumina, going as far as to yell and bitch about it. He really hates W-bodies apparently. But he'll never get his Viper dream car, so he should suck a fat one. :politicalshit: Plus, it'll save money regarding insurance.

That's the Lumina's biggest downfall IMO, the interiors.

True that.

Yeah, after seeing an International's interior, I realized that my current interior is shit.

Anyway, I'm going to do a second, and hopefully final walkaround of the car again tomorrow on Tuesday to check the electronics, fluids and have the dude put a good battery in. If that all works out............I'm getting the Cutlass tomorrow!!!! I can't fucking wait.

I'm actually thinking that I might try to trade in the Lumina.

Rule #1 of old cars NEVER EVER dump a car that is working well, because if and when you sell it you will only get a vlaue assuming that something is horribly wrong with the car.

Rule #2 of old cars every old car is different, you may only get lucky once.

If you trade the Lumina in, it's worth $300, try making the offer, they don't want to sell cars that old. They want the Cutlass off of the lot and they dont' want an even less valuable car int it's place.

Rule #3 of old cars. Condition & cleanliness is often a good indicator of how well the car has been cared for.

There's 1,000 exceptions to every rule, but some words of wisdom to consider.

Rule #1 of old cars NEVER EVER dump a car that is working well, because if and when you sell it you will only get a vlaue assuming that something is horribly wrong with the car.

If you trade the Lumina in, it's worth $300, try making the offer, they don't want to sell cars that old. They want the Cutlass off of the lot and they dont' want an even less valuable car int it's place.

Rule #3 of old cars. Condition & cleanliness is often a good indicator of how well the car has been cared for.

Noted. Yeah, I'm aware of the "risks" I may be taking, but the Cutlass is so awesome, I just love it. Even though it's a tad more worn than my Lumina, I still love it. I'm so intent on getting it.

True that.

Anyway, I'm going to do a second, and hopefully final walkaround of the car again tomorrow on Tuesday to check the electronics, fluids and have the dude put a good battery in. If that all works out............I'm getting the Cutlass tomorrow!!!! I can't fucking wait.

:jumpalot: You need to check your craigslist. All I did was Lincoln craigslist and searched Cutlass...that'd be the first place I'd look for a car :dunno:

if you can afford it... buy that car but keep the current car... cause you never know.

but most importantly... look the car over to make sure the car has no major issues like structurally condemning rust or slipping tranny etc etc etc.

once the car has proven itself, all the maintenance is done, all fluids and filter and wear sensors.....

then you should list your lumina on craigslist for a fair value (maybe $1000 cause of low miles) and clean it up to be presentable.

This man speaks the truth.

True that.

:jumpalot: You need to check your craigslist. All I did was Lincoln craigslist and searched Cutlass...that'd be the first place I'd look for a car :dunno:

Read back, how do you think he found the car? :cool:

True that.

Read back, how do you think he found the car? :cool:

oldscsc posted the craigslist link! :lol:

Yeah, I checked Craigslist for cars that were in nearby areas and within my price range, but I didn't find any other cars that interested me. So, I stayed with the Cutlass. I WAS going to keep the Lumina, but my dad says it's a good idea to just get rid of it because we won't use it much after I get the Cutlass and my brother will NEVER drive it willingly, unless it's the only car around. Although, I COULD take the parts I want from it and fix up the Cutlass, because the Lumina parts (at least mechanical) are in great shape. I'll just wait and see what I can work out for the trade in price, otherwise I'll go with my coworker. If THAT doesn't work, my mom wants to give the car to my aunt because she's very low income and can't afford a car right now (her current car is very old and junky). The Lumina would be a great get-around car for her, plus it's roomier (way roomier since it's just a base).

again. I would not give away the car until the new car proves itself. but yes. if you gave it to your aunt, once everything is fixed on the new car... go for it. as a trade in, you'll get no real value for the car. the value of the car as a trade in at most dealerships is only dollars ahead of it's scrap value.

again. I would not give away the car until the new car proves itself. but yes. if you gave it to your aunt, once everything is fixed on the new car... go for it. as a trade in, you'll get no real value for the car. the value of the car as a trade in at most dealerships is only dollars ahead of it's scrap value.

One thing I forgot, always do all of the negotiating and then toss in the trade in at the absolute last second.

I had a friend who bought a PT Cruiser and he was all amp'd because they gave him a $2000 trade-in on his Mystic, but in reality, the Mystic didn't even need to be traded in to achieve his end purchase price.

People just hate to waste things and love to hear that when they trade them in they get value. When they have an ad on TV about mattresses, and say trade in your old mattress and we'll give you $50 off one of our new Simmons Beauty Rest Extreme mattresses, they don't refurbish these, they just go straight in the trash.

My opinions (you asked for them when you made this thread, so you're going to get them):

In order of good idea to stupid idea (what I think you should do):

1.) Do NOT buy the Cutlass. Enjoy the Lumina and the probably next two good years it has in it (the car might have more than two years left, but they will probably be much more repair-filled).

2.) Buy the Cutlass and like Crazy K said keep the Lumina as a backup plan. I disagree with having two very old cars at once, my preference is one old one new, but at least you always have a backup plan, I did this for about 12 months and during the first 4 the repair bills that both cars were having were astronomic!

3.) Buy the Cutlass and trade-in the Lumina.

In the end the choice is yours, if your brother doesn't have a car now and he'd rather walk/bike/take the bus rather than drive your Lumina, then he's retarded and probably too retarded to drive your car without screwing up too. Most of us (unfortunately) are speaking from experience, and trying to help you avoid pitfalls going forward.

One more thing to consider about Cutlass Supreme's, the sedans are the single most expensive domestic car to have tinted that was built in the last 20 years. If you do they look extremely cool, if they aren't already it'll cost ya.

Well, I looked at more stuff carefully this time, and that Cutlass is NOT worth the money. It had lots of electronic problems (steering controls didn't work, the right-side button for mirror adjustment didn't work, the CD player was messed up, the emergency brake was completely non-functional, the fog lights didn't work, and the engine died on me while I was driving it. Plus, I asked if I could put down a $200 deposit to go to a shop and have the car examined.......he said "either buy it or don't". What a dick. Anyway, I've decided the let the Cutlass go. I'm going to check around some more (also, my older brother has a friend who owns a car lot, so I'll check him out).

See, I don't NEED a new car...I just WANT one. I'm getting kind of bored of the Lumina, and a change of pace would be nice. Especially after seeing just how many cars are out there waiting to be purchased, I just can't help but look for something.

I personally find those Intrigues to be rather ugly......

Well, there's been a new development, and it may knock me out of the W-body qualifications if I get it. I came across a 1980 Chrysler Newport....with ONLY 102k on it. I looked at it in person and it is FUCKING clean for its year. It's a older V8 sedan!!! The owner is a 50 or 60 year old private owner who's mother had owned it before. She passed away and they were left with the car. Yes, it is a granny car, but it's a fine granny car. It's located here in Lincoln, and I found it on Craigslist. The dude wants 900 bucks for it, but he said he'd be interested in doing a trade for my Lumina. Apparently, he has an elderly female friend who needs a car (not able to buy one herself) and she wants a small Chevy. So, my car intrigued him. Aside from some interior and exterior wear, my car runs strong and reliable. His car had almost no problems, except he said it will need new tires. He also was working on removing the oxidation on the paint (just alittle oxidation, mostly a white hue). The interior was clean, plush, and the dash controls were electric. It even has a digital clock! The car is a beauty, and I think I'll enjoy driving it. Even though it's less fuel efficient, it doesn't matter since I drove the hell out of the Lumina, using half a tank in a few days. With this car, I plan on treating it nicer. Plus, it's likely slower anyway, so there's no point in even trying to be racy. It just makes a nice, good-looking, comfortable cruiser.

Do you realize that if you open your price range another $500-1000 you will have many more options? I would suggest saving a little more and getting a whole lot more car for the money. In that price range you could easily buy a z34 (if you can find one) or most 1g w's, an f-body (if you happen to like that kinda thing), or even an older Monte, possibly SS, since you say you like older cars. Try driving around some country roads instead of looking for something only by internet and papers. I looked for a while online for a corvette for under $4000 online with no luck, almost spending more than I had because I thought I would have to, when I decided to take the long way out and ran across one for sale in my price range sitting out in someones yard, now its sitting in my driveway. Moral of the story, be patient and keep your eyes out, since, its a "want" car rather than a "need" there is no reason to rush on something.