New suspension time

slick

Damn, you shoulda just had me pick you up control arms along with the knuckles. The arms from the same Lumi were clean as hell and the buchings showed no signs of cracking.

Well... how much will they want for them?

going to the yard today. I can check :P

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• slick

• AWeb80

• Crazy K

• GOT2B GM

Top Posters In This Topic

For the rear I would get BMR lateral links, they come powder coated and have poly mounts and are greasable. They might be stiff I don't know if you want that or not. The rear sway bar I would get Addco or the later MC bar? I can't verify this. Struts I would go with KYB's and replace the mounts and the boots. Are you planning on keeping the stock monoleaf or getting the coilovers for the rear? If you're keeping the leaf stay replace the aux. pads.

For the front, replace the sway bar mounts and if you can get a 34mm bar. Ball joints will probably have to be drilled out. Tie rods are easy, I would take a look at the cradle mounts too. For the front struts get KYB's also. I bought Timken bearings since they are made in the USA. For the knuckles I would consider looking for 95.5+ knuckles and transferring your springs. When you do that you can replace all the other strut mount parts.

Ok, here is my parts list, for Rock Auto. I can't find the right wheel bearing/hub assembly, or atleast one that is correct. Is the Timken 513044 correct for my car, ABS equipped, or is another one correct? Any changes I should make, or anything I'm missing?

-------That number is correct, and Rockauto has a damn good price on them for Timkens... Autozone is easily double that.

Ball Joint x2

:arrow: SPICER Part # 5051148 {Professional Grade}Front Suspension; Lower

Front Strut x2

:arrow: KYB Part # 366004 {GR-2; Suspension Strut Assembly}FWD; with Standard SuspensionFWD; with Heavy Duty Suspension

Rear Strut x2

:arrow: KYB Part # 236003 {GR-2; Suspension Strut Assembly}FWD; with Standard SuspensionFWD; with Heavy Duty Suspension

Rear Mount and boot x2

:arrow: KYB Part # SM5277 {Suspension Strut Mounting Kit}Sedan; Rear

Front Strut Bearing x2

SPICER Part # 5151009 {Professional Grade}Front

------- Not entirely sure what piece that is from the website pic, looks like the upper spring isolator, but I guess some people call those bearings...

Front Strut Mount x2

:arrow: KYB Part # SM5030 {Suspension Strut Mount}FWD; with Heavy Duty Suspension; Front

Front Bearing Plate

:arrow: MONROE Part # 902994 {STRUT-MATE BEARING PLATE}FRONT LEFT; FWD; Lower Spring Seat & Bearing

:arrow: MONROE Part # 902995 {STRUT-MATE BEARING PLATE}FRONT RIGHT; FWD; Lower Spring Seat & Bearing

------These are fine, they don't come with the lower spring isolators though. They have the have the bearing/seats listed under Coil Spring Seat too, but it looks like you get your choice; either you get them with the boots or with the spring isolators. I don't see the lower isolators listed seperately anywhere, though.

Outer Tie Rod End x2

:arrow: SPICER Part # 4011457 {Professional Grade}Outer

Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings (They come with the new mounts, correct?)

:arrow: Front inner: 9.5173

:arrow: Front outer: 9.5159

------- Go with the ES, you won't be dissapointed.

SPICER Part # 5701058 {Professional Grade}

Front Suspension; Lower Front

IIRC, I will need 4 of these, correct?

I'm going to tell you right now, in case you've missed me bitching about it in the past, the control arm bushings are a bitch to change and you WILL need a press and will probably have to burn out the originals, but because of the awkward shape of the control arm it is very difficult to seat it on a press correctly/safely unless you have the right equipment (which I did not) and I ended up noticeably bending one.

But part-wise, for the front control arms you'll need:

SPICER Part # 5701058 x2

SPICER Part # 5701059 x2

I would personally go with the Delco ones as they're only a few bucks more, but when you're buying 4 it does add up. They're cheaper than they used to be, I think I paid almost $60 for a full set from GMPD a few years ago and now they're only $11.87/ea. on rockauto.

Delco / GM: 45G11058 / 88912805

Delco / GM: 45G11059 / 88912806

Ok, thanks for the post!

So, really then, all I'm needing is the spring isolater's. Got a PN from rockauto.com on those?

I figured as much on the control arms, but I'm in no rush. Just as long as the car is ready to drive come spring, I'll be happy.

I don't know about you guys, but in my setup you feel as if your in a very stiff race car. EVERY bump you know about, and if the road isn't perfectly level (say if it has a dipped section) you totally stay with the road and ride down the dip as well. There is no forgiveness, a big bump feels DEVASTATING. My solid motor mounts/exhaust/cam add to it as well, sitting idle you can feel the rumble and can feel the motor at all times through the wheel.

Although with all of this stiffness, makes controlling the car very exact and quick to respond. If I didn't love it so much I would be unhappy with my ride quality.

I feel like I am in a big cushy toy driving any other car.

• 1 month later...

Just reminding myself what else I need to order.

Front Strut Bearing x2

SPICER Part # 5151009 {Professional Grade}Front

Ball Joint x2

SPICER Part # 5051148 {Professional Grade}Front Suspension; Lower

Rear Strut x2

KYB Part # 236003 {GR-2; Suspension Strut Assembly}FWD; with Standard SuspensionFWD; with Heavy Duty Suspension

Rear Mount and boot x2

KYB Part # SM5277 {Suspension Strut Mounting Kit}Sedan; Rear

Outer Tie Rod End x2

SPICER Part # 4011457 {Professional Grade}Outer