New suspension time

slick

The TGP's suspension is the original 107,xxx mile stuff. Mounts are clanking around a bit, so it's due for all new stuff. I've already owned the KYB GR2's with the ST's in the Z34, and that was a pretty harsh ride. I don't want that. I'd like the suspension to be more aggressive, without sacrificing ride quality too awful much.

Going from the lowering thread, looks like the Held Coilover's may be my best option to accomplish better handling while not loosing too much ride quality. Anyone have any information on pricing (I would buy the kits with the struts)? Also, I've been around several 1st gens with coilovers, and several of them are noisy. Do the Held's have this issue? Also, do these come with new replacement mounts for the front and rear, or will they need to be purchased seperately?

I do not plan on upgrading the sway bars, stock is fine with me. I will probably do the poly bushing mod, but that would be about it.

I already have a vert front STB, and Aweb rear parts.

Gonna get the GMPP Trailing Arms.

I can't find the info on the Lateral Links, although I thought I remembered there being some available. Anyone got info on this?

Anything else I'm missing here?

Thanks.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• slick

• AWeb80

• Crazy K

• GOT2B GM

Top Posters In This Topic

stock springs and KYBs will give you a smooth yet responsive ride. Any lowering spring is going to result in ride quality suffering.

Talk to Jamie (GTPmunky) about the Held coilovers, he can give you his opinion on them.

I personally find the ride between my Intrax / Birchmount TGP and his Held coilover GTP to be quite similar.

Held makes tubalar lateral links, Jamie also has those on his GTP.

I upgraded the front swaybar to a DOHC 34mm bar with energy suspension poly bushings which definately stiffened it up in the corners. Good mod IMO.

Darn, I'm looking to drop it down a little bit without losing too much ride quality. I wonder if I just got the coilover kit and used Monroe's how it would ride (although I would hate to do it).

Ok, good on the lateral links. GMPP doesn't sell them, or just Held.

I guess if I come across a good deal on a dohc bar, I'll take one. Otherwise, I'll just stick with whats there.

Oh, and I'm going to stick with the stock wheel's as well. I may run a 255/50-16 tire, but that would be it. The 16" wheel/tire combo should alteast help retain some ride quality with there being more tire.

your front seems to sit a tad high Chris

I still have my stock springs if you want them....it didn't sit to high for a stock car.

and rode decent......I think the spring codes were FUZ and FUT......IIRC

It's not that I don't want to lower it, but the Z34 gave me a pretty bad experience. Maybe the struts were blown, or maybe the ST's were modified (I still think that they were). But, it was pretty rough, in fact, rougher than any CJ or TJ wrangler that I've EVER rode in.

Your guy's ride quality isn't that bad, is it?

yes......The only GMPP parts you can use is the STB's and the trailing arms.

Having had both, I would get Intrax's over ST's.

Intrax = variable rate spring

ST = straight spring

A cheaper alternative to the Held lateral links would be to get some from a 97+ W-Body since they are tubular and just replace the bushings in them with ones from ES.

BMR also sells adjustable lateral links. Both the front and rear can adjust. I think just the rear can adjust on stock 2g's. They're pricey but they're probably the best quality out there. 1.25" (stock 2g's are 3/4") and have greaseable poly bushings.

I wouldn't recommend the GMPP trailing arms either. My car has the GMPP tubular arms when I bought it. Not sure when they were installed but the rubber bushings are rotting out. I'd get something with poly

One thing I just learned about coilover's being noisy is that the position of the spring can make it noisy. I put my car up on the lift at work awhile back when changing the oil and when I put it back down and drove it out one of the coilovers was making a ton noise. It didn't look out of place or anything that I could see, but I put it back up and turned it around 180 degrees. Noise was gone. It must have moved a little when it decompressed, but you couldn't tell at all visually.