Engine is finished- video of engine will be put up soon-

Mach 5

Im thinking Sunday or Monday this weekend. If its Sunday, it would have to be in the morning. Actually- scratch that, Monday is better. Im off from school. Does everyone get off from work that day?

Jarek

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mach 5

• Brian P

• ismellrealbad

• intern8tion9l

I don't think Im going to be free for the meet as now I have ROD KNOCK... Time to pull the motor out again! I should be done by Sunday though as the parts were expressed and are coming tomorrow morning.

I had to order a Crankshaft and bearings. It sucks so bad.

Oh, and Im sorry about me not posting a video as even though I own a video camera, it is not digital. So expect pictures.

I can guarantee this car to be done this weekend as I need it next week for school and work which stinks as my backup car- The Bonneville- has leaking intake gaskets.

Im starting to think that my car is more reliable when its Flintstone powered.

Jarek

Yeah well, it was my fault this time as I only checked one of the journals for specs and not the them all. You think I would have learned after what the machine shop did with the valve springs. I guess Im learning the hard way.

Jarek

Yeah, everything was on it correctly except me being lazy and not checking all of the tolerances. I did the first time but my wanting to get my car back on the road encouraged me to throw the pan on and get it back in the car.

Well I will be pulling the motor today as well as getting the parts so it shouldn't be too long.

Jarek

My friend Shane and I pulled the motor today. I pulled all of the rod end caps. On cylinder #1, the bearing was gone out to the shreder. The rest looked decent. I got my crankshaft, some bearings, and gaskets, as well as some plastigage and tomorrow morning when I pull the timing cover off, I will pull and replace the crank and everything else and install it back into the car. I think Im looking at late Sunday night.

Jarek

Even more... The bearings I got were for a standard crank and I need .010 for the crank and .030 for the rods. So now Im stuck until Weds. This stinks.

Jarek

Wow, I think it's time for you to take a deep breath, step back and TAKE YOUR TIME WITH IT!

Just do it right dude, I was in the same boat, put it together, blow it up and start again. The last time I had my cousin stay there with me and make sure I really gauge and check it all. Gotta have your micrometers, indicators, digital calipers and stuff. Make sure you measure the ID diameter of the assembled rods (crank end) with rod caps-before and after you puth the bearings, just snug the bolts up. Measure the crankshaft too, just to know that you did. And use plenty of assembly lube, I personally like Lucas oil stabilizer, it's nice and tacky.

• 2 weeks later...

Its done! Running really good. I just wanted to get some mileage on it before posting and having something go wrong. Overall I have 3,500miles on the rings, 1,200 on the new cam and about 800 on the bearings give or take about 200mi. Im going to synthetic this week, probably Castrol Syntec and Marvel Mystery oil which is a mystery within itself. I have pictures of the bearing which I'll put up this week.

-I did plastigage everything. All the bearings- rod and crank had a .002 oil clearance.

Anyways, How about trying to plan a meet this weekend, probably Sunday?

Jarek

Well, If we do it Saturday its going to have to be later in the day (6- to 7ish) because Im racing my R/C car with a friend of mine at the track in Farmingdale. Actually its practice but we are preping for the big trophy race in January.

Brian, DO you know where 231 or DPA is? A bunch of guys meet in there on friday and Saturday nights. And there is also an Applebees in that lot.

I think that Sunday would be a better day for me.

Jarek

Well, If we do it Saturday its going to have to be later in the day (6- to 7ish) because Im racing my R/C car with a friend of mine at the track in Farmingdale. Actually its practice but we are preping for the big trophy race in January.

Brian, DO you know where 231 or DPA is? A bunch of guys meet in there on friday and Saturday nights. And there is also an Applebees in that lot.

I think that Sunday would be a better day for me.

Jarek

I have a friend that lives off that road. I stay away from that "scene" cause those guys are always doing stupid shit :lol: