It Finally Happened.. UPDATE #3 - J-Body Hell!!! (pics pg 4)

GP1138

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GP1138

• digitaloutsider

• jeremy

• White93z34

Well, I just got off the phone with a guy that's gonna trade me a 1989 Chevy Cavalier with 196K on it, for that HP Netserver I tried to sell on here. That'll get me through, until I can find an engine for this 1996 Cutlass Supreme that is being sold near here for $400 :!: :!: :shock:

Noo :( I'll be like the last of the first-generation LE's :cry:

I'm still here Shaun :wink: :lol:

Yeah, but you want a TGP and all and.. [sobs and listens to "Ode To My Car"]

Nope. The Cutlass I referred to ended up being a couple of doors, fenders and a bumper. I'm going to probably put the LE in storage and hope the Cavalier lasts me all winter. I think me and Pattgizz got something in the works...

... I'm thinking 3400....

These cradle bolt happening are starting to scare me..

Anyone have a part number or size on them or something? I don't know how mine are but it sounds like it'd be wise to go ahead and replace them just in case.

What were the symptoms of this? I get a loud click whenever I start off..

Check your rears. Mine were loose, and it allowed the cradle to move. Do you get a clunk when you turn into a driveway?

i some times get a clunk when i turn the wheel a hard right. Also the other day when my car died i was kinda rockin the car back and forth and the engine was moving alot :shock: Is this something i need to worry about and if so what can i do to fix it?

as far as fixing it goes, just take the hood off grab onto the engine with a cherry picker. I had it happen to me as well. a shop was going to charge me like 1500 to do the work so I did it myself and changed:

The oil pan and pump,

the hydrolic mount on the bottom,

And the alternator(what the hell why not?)

its about a 5 hour project for me.

as far as fixing it goes, just take the hood off grab onto the engine with a cherry picker. I had it happen to me as well. a shop was going to charge me like 1500 to do the work so I did it myself and changed:

The oil pan and pump,

the hydrolic mount on the bottom,

And the alternator(what the hell why not?)

its about a 5 hour project for me.

Did your steering shaft snap?

It's current state: DSCN0429.jpg

:cry:

nope it came loose and it is a realy pain to put back on. I found it is easier to get at it from unerneath the column on the inside. I had a real problem getting a truck under it as well. I welded some steel to the frame to get it to hold for a while and that held rather well. unfortunetly it was a ruff ride.

I recomend EVERYONE check those front cradlemount bushings.

Guest Gp crazy

well on my 89 it broke the same way :evil: But i was wondering if the a turbo gp had a diffrent subframe " STRONGER" than a non turbo gp :shock: because IF I find a turbo gp that was scraped " That's once in a life time find" I would get the subframe fom it :? Jeff B

he's picking upa a crapilear tonight for temporary transportation

i'm glad to see that you got the old girl home.

i'm gona try and find out the prices of the parts needed to get that cradle swaped out.

Well, gents and ladies, I have a Crapalier as Chris said. My sweetie and I got it home this morning at about 1 AM. The car is a 1993 Cavalier CRV with a 4 cylinder mated to a 5 speed. It's green, has a spoiler, and I think was a former pimpalier, since it had bling wheels on it and is wired up for subs, complete with Optima Red Top battery !!! :shock:. I traded a computer, video camera, and a couple other things for it. No cash, handed over his notarized and signed title. I go to get plates for it tomorrow. Meantime, the GP is off the insurance and sits on blocks waiting for a rescue. If you all think I'm driving a J-body for long, you're wrong.

Here's some pics of my Ghey-body:

DSCN0431.jpg

My new engine.... I think I hear knocking, too....

DSCN0432.jpg

Bling, bling y0 -- those aren't my actual wheels, they were just on the car.. he gave me some corsica wheels to use. They have brand new tires on them.

DSCN0433.jpg

5 speed!!!!

DSCN0434.jpg

Traded a computer for this thing, and it's mostly idiot lights... but none of them were on, and none came on. ABS must be working fine!

DSCN0439.jpg

Someone painted this mother silver... :lol:

So that's my winter beater. Hopefully it lasts until I can get my LE fixed. We'll see what happens. Chris and I will hopefully have an update for you next weekend... :)