If ever there was a reason to drink, I think I found it.

phantomshado

So my car and I have done some sight-seeing the past few weeks. Three weeks ago, we went to NYC, and just this last Thursday and Friday we went from home to Montreal, Montreal to Crowley CT, CT to home. This last trip was fine...or so I thought.

For a while now, my car would sometimes groan really loudly when I'd be in reverse, like a metal on metal groan, but never happened when I was going forward. I figured it was brakes, and I was actually just getting ready to fix them tomorrow.

So back to the trip to and from CT. About an hour and a half from home last night, I stopped to get some gas, and as I pulled out, I noticed a clicking that was especially clicky when I turned, however it seemed to go away at highway speed, but wind noise kept me from hearing it fully.

Today, I drove too and from work, came home dicked around for a couple hours, and decided to change my oil, after all, I'd driven about 2800 miles in the past three weeks. So I change out my oil, everything was looking pretty good, checked all the fluids and everything seemed to be keen. I take the car out to get the engine up to temp so I can check the oil again....cue the beer, gentlemen, its going to get nasty.

I pulled onto a small back road a very short distance from my house, everything seemed fine, then the wheels locked (front wheels). I stopped, turned the lights off, etc. make sure everything sounded ok. It did, except now the clicking was back, and pretty loud. I pulled into the next driveway, tossed it into reverse....nothing except a lot of clicks. I drove across the guys yard, and headed back to home. I limped it home, all of about 1/16th of a mile. I got back onto the main road but my car would not get above 15-20 mph, so I think I lost everything except 1st gear. Best way to describe the clicking it like baseball cards in the spokes of a kids bike.

WTF happened? What can I do?

I have already assumed the job of a tranny swap, so I need to know what years the 4t-60e are the same as my 94 (3100 btw), and what cars with a 282 can I rob? Beretta, Cavi etc.

Thanks guys. I appreciate everything.

CV joints click and vibrate when they're bad

if they're really fucked up they'll click and shake when you're going in a straight line

When my tranny went out I had only first gear. I slipped it into reverse one day backing out of the garage, then suddenly WHAM!!!! a loud exploding noise happened and I had no reverse gear and no forward gears except first. My reverse reaction drum had detonated on me and destroyed the entire tranny. All I can say is don't run the car, as it turns out if I had shut it off immeditately I could have had a $500 repair bill instead of $2000.

if they're really fucked up they'll click and shake when you're going in a straight line

yep...the clicking will incresase when you turn the wheel....eventually it'll vibrate real bad when turning until one the the entire front wheel locks up while you turning into you neighborhood :lol: trust me i know

I'm completely positive it's your CV joints...i doubt that will require a tranny swap :wink:

yep...the clicking will incresase when you turn the wheel....eventually it'll vibrate real bad when turning until one the the entire front wheel locks up while you turning into you neighborhood :lol: trust me i know

I'm completely positive it's your CV joints...i doubt that will require a tranny swap :wink:

it doesn't

if its my cv joints, why would I lose my ability to go in reverse???

besides, the clicking happens with the car not moving, as well as moving. CV joints need movement to click, as its the metal of the joint itself. I'm thinking that the reverse reaction drum either caught, and locked, or never engaged, either way exploding taking everything but first to hell with it.

... the CV joints being bad can cause a vibration thru the trans takin' it out pretty hard, that's what happened to my first 91 Z-34 (which was under warranty anyhow)

--Dave.

Yes you're right you need a tranny.

You need a 4T60-E which you can get from any late model 3.1L('92-93?) and 3100 equiped GM although stick with a 3100 one.

The best solution for a 282 swap is a complete '88-'90 GP or CS for parts.

Some cavi's ('90-93) I've seen appear to use the same 282, not sure though, most however would bolt up but use a different slave cyl. setup, and would surely mount differently although they seem to be setup for various installations.