Going to make it run better!

scoobydoo73

I am looking for a few suggestions on replacement parts on my 3.1 lumina. It is a 93 with 176k miles. I have the engine tore down to the lower intake manifold right now. Here are the things I am looking at doing while putting it back together. I want to replace the fuel pressure regulator because it is out and has a lot of miles on it. Same with fuel injectors, wondering if I should go stock or does anyone use a mild performance injector set that will work with stock cam/valvetrain. Order some feet of silicone vacuum hose in different sizes. Replace EGR valve, also has lots of miles. EGR gaskets, TB gasket, New fuel line, thread is stripped on the intake fuel line. Already replaced the distributor plug o-ring. Am I missing anything? Are there any other high performance things I can do now while it is apart? Thanks for reading and for any suggestions

Brad over at the 60*v6 forum said it best about bigger injectors:

Unless you get an aftermarket controller, going up to larger injectors just has the ability to hinder your performance. The PCM is programmed for stock size injectors, so if you increase the size, it will still send the same signal to the injectors. This will cause too much fuel to be sent to the engine, which will be sensed by different sensors (mainly the O2 sensor), which will then tell the PCM to decrease the fuel constants. Depending on the size of the injectors you go to, it will either bring it back to where the PCM is happy or you will just constantly run rich while the PCM tries to limit the fuel delivery as much as possible. Just doesn't seem like a good way to go about things....

Well I am just trying to do this quick and without pulling the motor. I don't have a garage or engine hoist just yet. The cam is not very old anyway. Probably only 20k on it. So I will look for stock injectors. Where can I find the best for the dollar. I wanted to replace them just because they were old but, it might just be the o-rings that need swapped. They were leaking fuel, one of them really bad. Thanks again.

yep, most of the fastest L67 powered cars are running on stock wires, injectors, coil packs, etc.

is paying over $100 for MSD wires really going to make you any faster? :roll:

dunno how long it takes and it may take some searching here or over at 60degree but there was someone or somecompany that rebuilt injectors for cheap. much cheaper than buying new.

anyone?

Monty

Fuel injectors are espensive. AC Delco are 85 each. I did find a place that rebuilds sells rebuilt for 36 dollars each. I also considered accel injectors in an OEM replacement size.

If you have the ability (If the lower intake is out, it would be easy) to work the lower manifold/rail (More info on that later) I would suggest Accel injectors. I have a set going into the 5 speed TGP, and the biggest situation is that they are shorter than stock injectors. They are so short in fact, I have had to remove material from the lower intake and rail (You could probably do 1 or the other, but I don't KNOW how thick either one is.) However, I did just buy an extra rail and I will be sectioning it (Cutting it in half :twisted: ) to find out how much material can be safely removed. If it's possible to do just the rail, I will be offering a rail/mount combo for the shorter (BETTER) injectors. The mounts will have to be changed for the lower rail position but Jeff M. tells me he did it w/ stock mounts (I don't know how, but I wouldn't trust it either, so I am making custom aluminum rail mounts) FWIW, Jeff tested the car w/ NO mods to the intake or rail and applied like 15-18 psi (IIRC) and the injectors never popped out. So, it's safe, just not "right". :lol:

ALSO, if you are considering a slight power adder, I would consider roller rockers while you're in there. I think they can be had for about ~150 or so and it's not that hard to install. Robby had a clearance problem w/ the guide plate though (V groove) pushrod hit the guide and broke it (again IIRC) HTH.

There is a post on 60* about rebuilt injectors, looks like a good thing to do, I will probably do it, it costs about $82 to have them do the work and ship them back to you. Add in a little more to ship them the injectors.