3100/3400 Rear valve cover to intake tube fix HOW-TO

rich_e777

Ok any of you that have owned a 60 degree V6 such as the 3100 or 3400 will be familiar with this tube, it runs from the rear valve cover to the intake tube just in front of the throttle body. If you are like me you have probably attempted Teflon tape and or RTV to keep the valve cover end in with not much luck. I have searched for a rubber grommet without success and for years it has just rested in place. Well at the beginning of the year I was working on a GAGT with a 3400 and came up with a nice solid airtight fix.

This is what is getting replaced, don't throw it out just yet, you will need part of it.

PQ5kStd.jpg

You will need that tube ^
2. Permatex Ultra black RTV

ysjy9Nq.jpg
3. 1 FT of PVC hose 19/32, this will be cut to fit approximately.

g3BmLNh.jpg
4. 1x FORD PVC elbow AutoZone P/N 47032
bRed4TA.jpg

Tools include a hack saw or serrated cutting tool for cutting the factory tube without bending or breaking it, a file or sandpaper for removing a lip on the PVC elbow and something to cut the 19/32 hose, it also helps to have the ICM/coil pack assembly removed.

First get your engine ready for the mod/repair by removing the ICM assembly(I will assume you the reader can do this in your sleep, if not consult your repair manual you NOOB!){this is a joke we all started somewhere}
Next locate your purchased FORD elbow and proceed to remove this ONE lip. The one on the side pointing UP in the pic, the other end can be worked into the 19/32 hose for an airtight bond without anything. I used a file and enjoyed a cold beer while doing so. Also note the flat "washer" area of the elbow where my thumb is, this is where you put the RTV and fix it to the rear valve cover.

aJjXFGm.jpg

Now once the elbow is filed and the other end in the hose find the original tube and cut off the elbow that fits into the air intake tube. You can make the cut exactly at the elbow. That part fits right into the 19/32 hose.
3wf6aZz.jpg

Place your newly created assembly into the rear valve cover and eyeball where you need to make your cut at the intake tube, then RTV the Ford elbow to the rear vale cover and insert the other end into the intake tube then let the RTV cure for about an hour.

xPo7Xrq.jpg

Pretty self explanatory but feel free to ask any questions should they arise.

Update after relocating images! After several months everything holds up quite nice. Ive removed the air intake tube several times since this and the rear valve cover end stay nice and secure.

Nice work rich. I've been aware of the rubber hose fix for a while now. I used to have one of my vacuum lines on my LQ1 patched up that way until I found a mint line at the yard one day.

yeah that little bitch plastic line.... pita!

i broke it on my old 98 lumina... fixed it by ,like you used a hose. my gromet was in ok shape, so i cut the plastic line, left 2 inches and slid a hose over both ends. i like your fix better, it will never pop out!

This fix eliminates the need for a grommet on the rear valve cover, I replaced my valve covers from a 3400 Monte Carlo to get rid of those old cracked black ones and it didn't have one. Only thing is with this route you would have to re apply RTV every time you removed the elbow. You can also shave some off it to allow it to fit under the ICM. Just thinking that if you put the RTV on just right, it may cure up to form its own grommet, that`d be cool. I`ll check in a day or so.

• 3 weeks later...

For maintenance purposes I`m going to figure out a way to disconnect the hose at either elbow so one doesn't have to re-apply RTV every time you take the rear elbow out. The hose fits it tight enough one will probably pull it free of the RTV bound just trying to pull the hose off the rear valve cover insert.

I`m thinking trimming the elbow more to make it fit loosely then securing it with a clamp. I don't think it has to be to tight because it doesn't see a huge amount of vacuum.

Hey guys, I discovered another solution to this delimma if your intake hose is still intact but your valve cover grommet is shot.   It involves replacing the wasted rubber grommet end that sits in the rear valve cover with a PVC valve grommet for Toyota - Help Brand Part #42058 is pretty much a direct fit. I found it at Autozone for $3  Simply lube it up & the slide the PVC grommet into your rear valve cover.  Remove all of the rubber junk grommet from the end of your vacuum line.  Lube it up and push it into the grommet.  It is a REALLY tight fit and I had to use some pliers to get the downforce - but, it slowly slid into place and sits there really tight.

Just another way to skin the cat if your vacuum hose is still in one piece.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Yep,rmagbi is correct. This item is still available at GM dealers as part number 24508188. The grommet is not sold separately, but the tube comes with the grommet. So if you're not in a hurry, a couple of days shipping from eBay is all it takes. Spent two days figuring this one out. Parts guy at local dealer said he has had more than one call about this. He was glad I gave him the answer. 

Thanks to rich_e777 for posting this for others to find the thread.

0 pcv.jpg

• 7 months later...

I am not sure who this might help, and I know I am bringing up a dead thread, but I found a better fitting alternative to what Twilks said. I found another Dorman brand PCV grommet that is part number 42346. It fits snugly in the pipe and does not require near as much force to install. This is coming from a owner of a 3400 Grand Am.