Questions about installing door speakers

will_s95

Hello all. I'm back with another audio installation question.

I just installed Polk Dxi 6x9 coaxials in my rear deck. This was a super easy job, and they blow the stock speakers out of the water sound quality wise. :dance: Now i want to get Polk dxi speakers for my doors, but i know the stock size is only 5.25 there.

Searching the forum, I have read that it is possible to modify the mounting location in the doors to hold 6.5 inch coaxials. Is this true? If so, how difficult of a job is that? I would prefer 6.5s for more midbass.

Also, i need a crash course in door panel removal. I think I kinda get the gist of it, I know there's a few screws and some tabs that get yanked out. Is this true? I really don't want to break anything.

Thanks!

Edited by will_s95

ok don't get it twisted, you do not need to try and produce bass with diameter of door speakers. if you want bass, get a subwoofer.

ok don't get it twisted, you do not need to try and produce bass with diameter of door speakers. if you want bass, get a subwoofer.

I understand. Already have two in my trunk. :biggrin: They are crossed over at 120 hertz, and they take care of any lower frequency from there. The four speakers in my car are responsible for mid-bass, frequencies 120-2200 hertz. Sounds that fall into this frequency range are things such as a snare drum hit or an acoustic guitar. The tweeters in the coaxials are passively crossed over to handle anything above around 2200 hertz.

Anyways, the larger cone area on 6.5s will produce better sounding mid-bass frequencies then 5.25 speakers. The 6.5s are also rated to handle more RMS power then the 5.25s, shall I choose to invest in a four channel amp someday.

If its a lot of work to modify the doors to hold 6.5s, then I will just get the 5.25s. I just thought I remembered reading somewhere that that was possible.

Edited by will_s95

you are never going to get clean midbass without a sealed enclosure for your midrange.

a sealed 5 will out perform a free air 6. an amp would be a waste of time without a crossover network and sealed enclosures. a high end set of components.

otherwise they will just bottom out and distort. you will not see those frequencies.

Ah so modifying the doors to fit 6.5s means that they would be freeair? I don't want that! Good to know, i'll order the 5.25s then.

And can anyone point me to a good post about removing door panels for my car? Can't really seem to find a good write up searching the appearance/car care section of the forum.

Edited by will_s95

no uh my bad, I was just saying if you want to get any good midbass, you would need a sealed enclosure.

I think all these cars have free air paper speakers. you can throw some good 6's in there though not trying to steer you away from that. I was remembering how I could never get any good mids until I made little pods. however I have another car with the stock 4x6 paper cones that I like the sound of along with my subwoofer to help them out.

sorry if I am just creating more confusion. I'm not sure about the door panel screws, I have had them off plenty of times on the 88-90 cars and it wasn't too bad finding all the screws if you got plenty of light and take your time.