'92 GTP was low on power, now won't start

crazyd

My '92 GTP refused to start after I pulled into a parking lot last night. I'd driven it there with no problems other than it being low on power and getting the "chuggles" if I tried to get more out of it, but only between 2000-4000rpm. Once past that point, though it didn't feel like it was all there, it did pull smoothly. I first noticed it on Sunday, and had decided it was probably just a clogged fuel filter (which I haven't changed for about 30k miles). Planned to do it today, but I tested the fuel pressure and it was at 41psi and holding, so I didn't think it was urgent.

The only other symptom is it sounds really odd when I'm cranking it, a little slower than usual and without the normal tun-tun-tun sound, which deteriorates into this continuous swishing sound the longer I crank it. I can't accurately describe it so I've uploaded a youtube vid here.

[video=youtube;KxKgITAJd3Q]

This also started several days ago before it completely refused to start, so I don't think anything catastrophic has failed.

Here's what else I've checked:

• Suspected TPS, so I pulled codes. 6 #12's and nothing else, so the ECM seems to think everything's hunky-dory.
  • Inspected vacuum lines. Did this while the engine was running and no disconnections or hissing noises noted.
  • Pulled timing belt inspection cover, belt is tight and like new (replaced about 20k miles ago), appears clean inside, no "hairs"
  • Inspected plug wires and ensured they are all seated properly
  • Oil is clean, 10W-30 synthetic, no coolant contamination
  • Exhaust is clean, no smoke or funny odor; cat replaced about 10k miles ago
  • Replaced ignition coils & ICM

I don't think that the timing chain broke, I think I replaced it at the last rebuild about 20k miles ago and it wouldn't break just from shutting the car off.

I have a fuel pump activation switch on the dash, and I know the fuel pump is running and pressurizing to 41psi at the injector rail.

Anybody got any other ideas?

Edited by crazyd

I figured by replacing the ICM and all three ignition coils that I would be factoring spark out of the equation...

But the CPS is an interesting possible culprit. How would I check it?

Checking for spark as mentioned is the best way to start.

make sure you have spark and injector pulse.

ediiit.... Actually after watching that video I would verify that the cams are being turned, sounds like it could be a failed belt or chain,

Edited by White93z34

On my LQ1, the failure wasn't the tensioner, but one of the idler pulley bearings. It got hot, and melted the plastic idler pulley...

You might want to consider replacing them while you have things apart...when I did my last timing belt, I replaced EVERYTHING.

^ always good practice to replace it all. Its more expensive but common sense IMO. The tensioner actuator is something often overlooked since not a single belt kit comes with it... dealer only item

True...I think I paid $125.00 for a new actuator...the hard part was getting a replacement mounting plate for the tensioner..not many left, but I figured it made sense, since I didn't know the history of the car to start out all new. The plate was I think less than $7.00.

I saved all the old parts, just in case.

Got the car back on the road last night. No idea why the belt lost tension, the actuator seemed to work just fine though it had no oil in it. Replaced it anyway. Pulley bearings were all tight as a nun's butt.

post-2941-143689084362_thumb.jpg

Edited by crazyd
Added picture