AlexVey

Hi everyone,

I'm a sales representative for Combined Insurance in Newfound and use a Buick Century for all my travel business. In general, I am pleased with the performance and ride of the car. However, I do have a few issues that concern me.

The "Service engine soon" like and the "Change oil soon" lights in the instrument cluster come on when the car is started. The change oil light goes out after a ew minutes. The service engine light only started staying on about a week ago, but it remains on all the time now.

Also, when I drive at night with the lights on high beam, I dim the lights to low beam when I meet an oncoming vehicle. Sometimes, when I tyry to din the lights, the switch will not workand sometimes when it does work and I use the switch to return to high, the lioghts go completely out. Where I live and drive at night, traffic can be very light and when the car's lights go out it gets very, very dark suddenly. This is scary enough when I am driving on a straight stretch of road but when it happens on a curve, it's downright terrifying.

I've talked to some other 2005 Century owners and have been told that that is a common problem. I see that problem (lights going out on a dark highway) as a safety issue and have tried to find out if there has been a recall by Buick to correct the problem.

If anyone have any info that might help me, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks

I am unsure of why the change oil light does not go off immediately after the car is started. The light may need to be reset at your next oil change. That process may be in the manual, or someone here might be able to advise you on how to reset it.

I do not know if this is available in Canada, but here in the US, some major auto parts chains (Canadian Tire may have this service) will offer to read the Diagnostic Trouble Codes for free. They will sometimes even give you a printout of the codes and the reasons your computer have set them. If the car is still running and driving normally, it's likely not a serious problem, and could be something as simple as a failed/failing sensor.

The dimmer switch is indeed a common problem, and is a bit of an intensive fix if you're not used to working on your own vehicles. It requires the removal of the airbag and the steering wheel. Your best bet is going to be to find a reputable mechanic, and have him/her replace the switch. It may cost you a few dollars, but it's definitely worth it for something that serious.

Good luck!

Welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:

The change oil soon light needs to be reset when the oil is changed. With the key "on," slowly press and release the gas pedal 3 times in 5 seconds. It should blink and go out.

The service engine soon light is a common occurrence in the Century. Its often caused by some chaffed wires near the egr valve (i think). There is no free program in Canada where you can get a loan of a code reader unfortunately. Your bet bet is to take it to a shop (even Canadian Tire), and they'll scan it at a charge. Probably $30 or so.

Your problem with your lights is more than likely in the dimmer (multifunction) switch. When I bought my 2002 Century, the low beams wouldn't work at all, so I brought it to the garage I got it from, and they replaced the dimmer switch, and it's been fine since. I know what you mean about it being scary, my dad has a 2004 Century that has the same problem. One night I was driving it, they went out and almost gave me a panic attack. haha