"Stage 2" ZZP axles: A..."mild"...quality issue.

RareGMFan

So some of you may have read about my streak of good luck this week in this thread...

http://www.w-body.com/showthread.php/51671-Life-just-threw-a-couple-mean-jabs-%28l

Well....I got the car over to the shop my sister's boyfriend works at yesterday to find out what happened. I was thinking maybe motor mount or trans mount, but as we look on the passenger side, I see grease splattered EVERYwhere. I thought, "man....that's an awful lot of grease for a motor mou--OH MY GOD!!" I looked over to see the inner boot on the CV axle ripped wide open, and upon closer inspection, I see pieces from the internals missing. This would explain why the car was vibrating like a 9.0 earthquake just hit it + struggled to move forward when it first happened (and intermittently in between then and when I got it into the shop). When we removed it, the only thing holding the shaft together on the trans end was the little bit of boot left that hadn't torn. The center shaft and internals just fell out of the base. What you see in the pictures is literally all that was left of the internals.

ZZPAxle1.jpg

ZZPAxle3.jpg

ZZPAxle2.jpg

ZZPAxle4.jpg

I had no choice but to go with a Carquest replacement for now since it had to be done immediately, and that's where his shop orders stuff from, but needless to say I was not happy. I bought these because I thought they would be as good, if not BETTER than stock. According to the site:

By using only GM cores we start with a strong center shaft and durable splines. That is the main difference between our product and anything you buy from another source (or your local store). We have experimented with other "lifetime guaranteed" axles only to be stranded at the track less than 24hrs after installing them. The shafts made from China metal will twist right in half when using slicks and launching hard! The ZZP stage 2 axles will withstand neck snapping launches without missing a beat. We recommend them for anyone who plans on seeing track time with their car.

.....I've never been to a track in my life PERIOD, much less done it in this car. The car is also bone stock and the axles were only on for around 1 1/2 years. To their credit, they were right about the center shaft being strong, and not twisting. It's just the internals, which THEY "beefed up", that let loose. :roll: I had been warned numerous times about ZZP parts. Guess I should have listened. :(

Looks like a manufacturing defect to me....

I've launched several w's running stock axles pretty hard and never broken a stock axle... you sure as shit shouldn't have broken a "Stage 2" axle.

Looks like a manufacturing defect to me....

I've launched several w's running stock axles pretty hard and never broken a stock axle... you sure as shit shouldn't have broken a "Stage 2" axle.

I agree! I've made at LEAST 20-30 passes in my car and haven't had a issue with stock axles, I sure as shit don't think your aftermarket "STAGE 2" parts should break from just street use.

it is a stock axle from GM is what that says. that has been rebuilt with used parts. well the shaft may be stronger than chinese but obviously that was not the issue here. the middle was wollered out and should not have been re used. they should have sold it as a stage 1/2.