A few interior repair questions

biddieboi

I was wondering guys is it possible to change the gauge custer that's in my chevy lumina 1996 for a gauge cluster that includes the tachometer. I tried removing a sticker from the plastic gauge cluster with some sticker remover an it completely clouded up the cluster. Then a budy of mine said to use fine grit sandpaper an it will come rigt off but it didn't. It got worse. So I just wanna replace it an upgrade it if I can so please help. Is it possible? An also I was wondering how to replace the gauge cluster ligts because mine are very dim an low an I wanna brigten things up a bit. Is there a specific led bulb to use or no an what colors would look good an burn bright? Oh an I guess a previous owner tried getting into the dash an messed something up an my knobs for ac or heat doesn't light up or turn properly. Is there a cable behind there that can be adjusted? Or would I need to go into there or something? I also put freeon in my ac system an it leaked all out in 1 an a half days. What can I do to fix that? An when I turn my ac or heat on the motor is loud like a deep droning noise when it's operating. Is that normal or should I replace the motor? I am sorry for the questions just want things right. Thanks for the help in advanced.

Edited by biddieboi
change title

The cluster should be plug and play if i remember correctly... Is your dimmer switch set to the max brightness? I always thought the interiors were lit pretty well... Maybe a new hvac unit from the junkyard will solve the lighting and moving the knobs problems... As for the AC, youll have to find out where its leaking to be able to fix it

My A/C panel doesn't light up any more either, it's pretty easy to change though. It's held in by 2 bolts you could swap it over while you're doing the cluster.

As far as the dim lighting, I'm with you on that. It always seems like unless it's PITCH black out you can't even tell it's lit. Unfortunately there's probably not much you can do about it, the bulbs are pretty specific and have a special base that fits in the cluster. I know some people have soldered LED's to the cluster though, not sure how well it works.

If you decide that you want to still try and fix your hazed gauges, try using a headlight lense restoring kit on it. or if you don't want to spend the money on one try rubbing Toothpaste into it. you might laugh but the toothpaste will fill in the scratches and clean the lense.