3800 swap questions

Shade

Thread cleaned up and reopened. Please keep this tech only, and let the person who is spending money on his own car decide what engine he puts in it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shade

• Dark Ride

• BXX

• xtremerevolution

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A 96 GP interior harness would probably be closer, but I would still be studying wiring schematics, since they may not be the same, plus there may be differences inside the interior harness, such as the C202 at the Steering Column. OBD II also had A LOT more fuses, and they switched to mini fuses, so you would have to swap that. Like I said, it WILL be difficult, but doing the research ahead of time will save you numerous headaches.

Yeah, I'm not going to be able to use the 96 GP harness now, I'll have to make the 92 harness work. I was thinking about calling a dealer and see if I could get some vin specific pin-outs and diagrams. But where do you go abut finding those shop manuals you were talking about, would the Haynes ones work?

Please keep going on this thread, this is a great way for guys like me to learn. I'm still thinking about doing this to the cheapy we're buying this week and I have no clue where to start.

Will do, man! And a great way to start is to pick out a motor, that really gives you a big kick in the ass to get started.

best bet is to get the factory service manuals for your car plus the car you are using the engine harness from. ebay is where i've gotten all of mine,

Yeah, I'm not going to be able to use the 96 GP harness now, I'll have to make the 92 harness work. I was thinking about calling a dealer and see if I could get some vin specific pin-outs and diagrams. But where do you go abut finding those shop manuals you were talking about, would the Haynes ones work?

I doubt a dealer would have specific pinouts like you need. Try one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-CHEVROLET-LUMINA-SHOP-SERVICE-MANUAL-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2562bbec9bQQitemZ160570272923QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

(Note that is the second of the two book set)

They are thick but should have everything you could possibly need to know. Haynes manuals are pretty generic since they cover many different models and years and they generally don't cover a lot of specific options. For how cheap they can be had, I prefer shop manuals.

I doubt a dealer would have specific pinouts like you need. Try one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/92-CHEVROLET-LUMINA-SHOP-SERVICE-MANUAL-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2562bbec9bQQitemZ160570272923QQptZMotorsQ5fManualsQ5fLiterature

(Note that is the second of the two book set)

They are thick but should have everything you could possibly need to know. Haynes manuals are pretty generic since they cover many different models and years and they generally don't cover a lot of specific options. For how cheap they can be had, I prefer shop manuals.

Oh hell yeah! Thanks a lot for that! :high5: I'll go ahead and pick that up when I can. Hell, for that price I can't go wrong!

Edited by Shade

• 4 weeks later...

PROGRESS!! The LQ1 is out and I've got the shop manuals (thank you Dark ride and White92z34). I've taken a quick look at the pin outs for the c100 and cross referencing them with the 99 monte harness I got. Damn, so far I only see one wire that both harnesses share... the fuel pump feed. If any one has any hints on re-pinning the harness that would be greatly appreciated!

I just paid Brianteel to do the wiring. for me it was just easier. If you have the harness I think he charges 200-250 to to repin. It may be worth it for you, I don't know :think:

I just paid Brianteel to do the wiring. for me it was just easier. If you have the harness I think he charges 200-250 to to repin. It may be worth it for you, I don't know :think:

I'm sure Bob (BXX) on here would do the same for much less than that.

True, I forgot that Bob might do it. either way I was just mentioning there are people who will do the wiring for him for a price if he doesn't want to tackle it himself.

I just paid Brianteel to do the wiring. for me it was just easier. If you have the harness I think he charges 200-250 to to repin. It may be worth it for you, I don't know :thinking:

Thanks for that guys, I'll keep them in mined, but I would defiantly rather do it myself. I'm no stranger to wiring but I'm 150 miles away form the hose were the books are so that's making it hard to do research. :lol: But I figured I would update the thread so ya didn't think I had given up.

Keep looking there should be more in common between those two harness than just fuel pump feed, IIRC all the cluster info wires were the same. There were others too, I'd have to look

Oh I will. I'll figure something out. But how much do you know about cluster harnesses? I found another 96 GP dash at a local yard but I can't get the harness, so I was wondering if I could wire a pigtail for the new cluster for the old harness.

Yeah, someone supplies me with a harness, I can do it for $100 to $150 depending on year of car.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question, guys. On the 99 Monte Z34 harness it has a 5 volt reference wire coming through the c100 but it don't say witch way it going. What is that for? The 92 didn't have it...

Quick question, guys. On the 99 Monte Z34 harness it has a 5 volt reference wire coming through the c100 but it don't say witch way it going. What is that for? The 92 didn't have it...

That should go to the fuel tank pressure sensor mounted on the fuel tank sending unit. I removed that wire entirely from the engine harness and PCM connector.

That's the gray wire on Pin C2 of the C100. Pin A3 goes to the fuel tank pressure sensor too and can be removed, its a dark green wire.

Edited by BXX

What bout the B2 pcm sensor ground, should I just ground it?

Thats circuit 808 PCM ground. Thats just the common ground wire for the PCM sensors. You can remove it as well. It should splice somewhere inside the engine harness, just snip off that leg and tape it all off. I think I resoldered them together once I removed that one.

Remember, just snip and remove that lead that goes to C2. Leave the others that are spliced together with it inside the harness alone. IIRC there were 4 or 5 common spliced together.

Thats circuit 808 PCM ground. Thats just the common ground wire for the PCM sensors. You can remove it as well. It should splice somewhere inside the engine harness, just snip off that leg and tape it all off. I think I resoldered them together once I removed that one.

Remember, just snip and remove that lead that goes to C2. Leave the others that are spliced together with it inside the harness alone. IIRC there were 4 or 5 common spliced together.

Awesome! Thanks alot dude! :thumbsup:

No problem, having Alldata 9.9 on my netbook makes pulling up a diagram easy.

Any other questions, i'll try to help as much as I can.

I got 2 more for you and then I'll stop bothering you for a wile! :lol: Pin c3 a/c switch output. Is that the output from the controls to the harness or from the harness to somewhere? And the cruse control. All of the cruse wiring comes through the c100 on the new harness but none of it through the old, so could I just use my old cruse module? It's the electronic servo style.

A/c output is the A/C request wire from the controls to the PCM. If your cruise control is the electronic style then I would continue to use it, may have to splice into the new harness for Speed signal, but I'm not sure on your application.

A/c output is the A/C request wire from the controls to the PCM. If your cruise control is the electronic style then I would continue to use it, may have to splice into the new harness for Speed signal, but I'm not sure on your application.

Awesome! I'll do some checking, thanks, man!

More question! I need to know what these two ports are for. And I also need one of those U-shaped front engine mount brackets, does anyone know where to get one or a part number?

post-6121-14368907592_thumb.jpg

post-6121-143689075931_thumb.jpg