95-99 Monte Carlo Z34 Manual 5-Speed Swap Page

Danspeed1

My goal is to do this swap next weekend, 8/7/2010. I am awaiting some parts and still have to order a clutch, but if all goes well everything will be here on Friday, hopefully it will all be in good shape. Tomorrow I will start taking pictures of the car and parts. For now here is a teaser.

C3SharkForSale017.jpg

C3SharkForSale014.jpg

Here is the lab rat. Its a 1995 Chevy Monte Carlo Z34 with/ 220,000 miles. Don't let the pictures fool you, the car is a mess, however I have had it since 2006, and i rather put the work into it than scrap it. It needs everything, but its a good car. 220,000 miles, it should be interesting to see what this car is willing to take. The goal is a 5 speed + turbo setup. Its taken me since 2006 to get the 284 parts together so you may wait a while to see the turbo setup come together but for the time being this is something different.

I've been told this has never been done. This is my daily drive and its very hard for me to lay it up for extended periods of time. I work a lot of hours and have very little $$ so its important I get this right the first time. I don't mind documenting the swap, from start to finish with detailed pictures, but I ask that any of you that have any tid bits of information PLEASE POST. Anything that will make this swap any easier would be greatly appreciated and will help myself; and others in the future.

P.S. Still looking for an "affordable clutch" if someone wants to chime in....

Stay tuned,

DG

Clutch-1.jpg

Ive been told this is the "stock" clutch for the getrag 284, can anyone confirm this?

I am also considering...

EXEDY 04127 OEM Replacement Clutch Kit

Which one would you choose?

DG

Edited by Danspeed1

i wanted to 284 swap my old 95 Z34..... but moving to Florida 2 years ago kinda convinced me to sell the Z34...since I didnt need a summer (GTP) & winter car (Z34) in Florida. I'm kicking myself in the ass for making that decision now..... but more power to ya for making the decision and I hope all goes well for ya during the swap!!

calling the noob out, since no one else will do it. I will give you 10 days, it wont be done by then, in fact I will go one step further its never getting done. Enjoy the pipe dreams noob and sleep tight!

Wow, I really hope there aren't this many losers on this site...

Here I am asking for the additional support so I can actually achieve this goal... and the first post is downright negative. Go find so other thread to trash.

DG

i wanted to 284 swap my old 95 Z34..... but moving to Florida 2 years ago kinda convinced me to sell the Z34...since I didnt need a summer (GTP) & winter car (Z34) in Florida. I'm kicking myself in the ass for making that decision now..... but more power to ya for making the decision and I hope all goes well for ya during the swap!!

Thank you, I have been researching this for a while now, and it seems like it should fit. I just hope I have all the parts I need.

DG

Rob is speaking the truth.... out of every hundred or so new members PROMISING they were gonna swap in a 5 speed or some outrageous swap(northstar), only 1 or 2 actually went through with it, the rest just drop off of the forum completely.

as much as i'd like to see you succeed here, the odds are against you, please prove us wrong, i love me some badass 5th gen MCs.

But isn't that all the more reason to be encouraging? Instead of "STFU NOOB" shouldn't we be more inclined to say something like "I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with this! Good luck!" ?

depends on the person IMO.... some people are motivated by encouragement, some by being told it can't/won't be done(i'm one of these actually), which is why i avoided it altogether, just stated facts.

The facts can be stated without being demeaning or disrespectful. You guys could also try being positive and offering advice on his project instead of telling him that it won't happen.

Good luck with your project, post plenty of pictures of the progress or of the finished project!

For those of you who gave your support, thank you very much.

I am a new member here, but until today I felt more at home here than I did on 60degreev6 which if I remember correctly I have been a member of since 2005 or 2006. I don't usually post all that much because I really don't have much to say. I am one of those people who rather watch and learn then come on here and preach when I really don't know all that much about w-body's specifically. I didn't realize it was so important to gain thread count status on here to be taken seriously, but I will try and post as much garbage in as many threads as possible to raise my thread count so I an no longer a Noob (like many of you haters do). I am an automotive technician by trade. I don't know if its all going to fit and to be honest I work primarily on RWD vehicle so this is new to me, but I am up for a challenge, I have purchased 99% of the parts, and I am not on here to flaunt that I have a 284 or pedals and so on, and never install any of it. It will all make its way into the car, eventually.

For those of you who have something to offer as I said before your help will be emmencely appreciated. For those of you who are jeleous, have an attitude problem, or think you are gods gift to the w-body scene... please step out.

I will continue to post on here for the time being but If this thread just turns into a mess...... I will disapper like so many others have.... (And you wonder why that happens).

DG

P.S. saw the lumina 5speed swap and it was very helpful, however I am worried there will be differences between the two cars even though they are basically the same... we will see.

The facts can be stated without being demeaning or disrespectful. You guys could also try being positive and offering advice on his project instead of telling him that it won't happen.

Good luck with your project, post plenty of pictures of the progress or of the finished project!

Agreed.

Danspeed............what part of NY are you from...I noticed the Tag on the car.

I will help as much as I can but I havent done a complete swap before... I replaced the motor in my 91 and it was a 5 speed car and also put a clutch in it too... Ill try to remember what I can whenever you ask a question

You sure as hell won't get it done in a weekend. That's all I know for sure.

i could do it!

on a side note, be prepared with a welder and some fabrication for the pedal assembly, also you have a 4t60e so your subframe mount will have to be cut, the whole dash comes out, carpet, seats ect

My goal is to get everything disassembled, or loosed on Friday. Drop the motor and Trans on Saturday. Reinstall the new trans and motor Sunday... and do the miscellaneous, shifter, wires, and so on during the week.

So I really have to take the whole dash out huh? No way around that?

I have a brand new welder I can't wait to use.... and a compressor and cut off wheel. Hopefully my father and friends with pitch in too.

DG

I don't see why his subframe mount will need to be cut, but rather unbolted and thrown in a scrap pile.

its a 95, it should have the welld on style by then... most 94s ive seen are already welded design, no big deal though