Fancy Rear view mirror questions

cubsfan24

I'm not aware of the Intrigue mirror battery drain issue, but the Park Ave mirror never drained the battery at at all.

Here is a post from GnatGoSplat in 2006

"Intrigue didn't have temp, it was compass and LED domelights only. The Intrigues displayed outside temp in the climate control so it wasn't needed in the mirror. The problem with the Intrigue mirrors is they consume power at all times and will drain your battery after a few days if you don't drive the car. The Intrigue's BCM controlled all the power to the mirror so it was able to cut power after a certain time period of inactivity."

89SupremeCutty That looks cool but I don't think I could get one to even 10% match my maroon headliner. That would be cool if I could get my MPG readings on there but you said my 96 isn't capable of displaying that in your thread :cry:

I'm not aware of the Intrigue mirror battery drain issue, but the Park Ave mirror never drained the battery at at all.

Here is a post from GnatGoSplat in 2006

"Intrigue didn't have temp, it was compass and LED domelights only. The Intrigues displayed outside temp in the climate control so it wasn't needed in the mirror. The problem with the Intrigue mirrors is they consume power at all times and will drain your battery after a few days if you don't drive the car. The Intrigue's BCM controlled all the power to the mirror so it was able to cut power after a certain time period of inactivity."

89SupremeCutty That looks cool but I don't think I could get one to even 10% match my maroon headliner. That would be cool if I could get my MPG readings on there but you said my 96 isn't capable of displaying that in your thread :cry:

i have to o back and look at what i had typed, but the blazers/jimmy's didn't have mpgs built into the consoles yet. they started that in '97 sometime. i don't see a reason why your '96 wouldn't be capable it's obd2 and i believe all the wires in the aldl are there. im gonna go back to my thread and check this.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cubsfan24

• Addicted to eaton

• ManicMechanic

• ToroToro

just wire to a fused power!

Then how would the map lights come on if the car wasn't in run? It doesn't really matter cause I def want one with the temp on it.

Anthonys mirror would have to be wired to the door pin switch, as well as a 12v constant, and an ACC for everything to work I would imagine.

Odd that the SSRs didnt have onstar...

well i went back and i checked my thread and the '96's don't have the UART wire. but they do have the class 1 and class 2 bus wires. i just haven't been able to figure out what wire or wires are used to get the fuel economy information. on the gm minivans they get the info from the fuel level sensor, but as for the consoles from the blazers, i have no clue where the fuel and odometer info comes from. i should go back to the j/y and try to get one.

well i went back and i checked my thread and the '96's don't have the UART wire. but they do have the class 1 and class 2 bus wires. i just haven't been able to figure out what wire or wires are used to get the fuel economy information. on the gm minivans they get the info from the fuel level sensor, but as for the consoles from the blazers, i have no clue where the fuel and odometer info comes from. i should go back to the j/y and try to get one.

Im sure its lost somewhere in their BCMs...

the only bcm on the blazers that i know of is for the headlights. the chryslers use a bcm to give the odo/mpg readouts and the gp's use a bcm for the '97+ DIC.

Looked in the junkyard and didn't see any mirrors with temp. I saw several with just the compass but I would prefer the temp also. On ebay it seems most of the auctions do not include the temp sensor. I found a temp sensor from a Bonneville that I guess had temp in the drivers display. Can this temp sensor be used with a Gentex compass/temp mirror?

On a side note I found a 99 Cadillac Deville with like new leather seats. They were so clean I would have eaten off of them and it didn't smell like smoke like 99% of the cars there. Anyone know if these seats would fit in my 96 Lumina. I would be driving in style with Cadillac seats :lol:

Looked in the junkyard and didn't see any mirrors with temp. I saw several with just the compass but I would prefer the temp also. On ebay it seems most of the auctions do not include the temp sensor. I found a temp sensor from a Bonneville that I guess had temp in the drivers display. Can this temp sensor be used with a Gentex compass/temp mirror?

On a side note I found a 99 Cadillac Deville with like new leather seats. They were so clean I would have eaten off of them and it didn't smell like smoke like 99% of the cars there. Anyone know if these seats would fit in my 96 Lumina. I would be driving in style with Cadillac seats :lol:

i see a lot of caddy's in the j/y near me and the interiors are all pretty nice and i would love to put some caddy seats on the lumi.

*Cracks his knuckles*

Mmkay, first, there are 2 major producers of the "fancy mirrors". Gentex and Donnelly. Gentex makes a far superior mirror in my opinion, as I've never really heard or read of one failing, where as there are plenty of complaints about the Donnellys leaking/breaking.

There are very, very few mirrors from Gentex that feature self dimming AND map lights. Most of the cars they came in had some kind of dome lights if they got a nicer mirror, though as of late, they've produced more and more that DO have map lights. Anthonys mirror is a rare one. I've wanted one of those ever since I found out they released them. Those are Homelink buttons on the bottom, but again, very rarely does that mirror come with map lights on it. That's one of their newer mirrors (maybe 3 or so years old), so you'd be hard pressed to find one in the yard. Otherwise, the Intrigue GLS is the only car I'm aware of to get a Gentex self dimming mirror with map lights. The order of upgrades usually goes: Self-dimming, self-dimming with compass, self-dimming with compass and temp (single display you had to toggle back and forth on with the older mirrors, and larger dual display for the newer ones). There are some variations, like the self-dimming with map lights mirror offered only on the Buick Roadmaster and Chevy Caprice, but as a general rule of thumb, this is the formula.

The Donnellys are much easier to find with map lights, but as I said, they're prone to leaking/malfunctioning, and.....well....they're just plain ugly to me. Their temp and compass displays are usually in the base/frame of the mirror at the bottom, as opposed to inside the mirror itself, save for a few rare exceptions (a handful of newer Chryslers and Lincolns).

There shouldn't be any batter drainage issue except possibly for the Intrigue GLS mirror, which Gnat commented on. I believe he said it's because ordinarily, the mirror runs off the BCM in the intrigue. Without that there to tell it to shut off, it keeps draining a small amount of power continuously. I don't know 100% for sure if this is true, or not.

BTW.....

http://pontiacbonnevilleclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=3269&p=31758&hilit=mirror#p31758 :mrgreen:

Dammit! Well....it was a link to my mirror mania for sale thread. I had one here, too, but it was far back enough that it has been purged from they system. I'll be making another thread here shortly in the for sale section. I have a ridiculous amount of mirrors in all shapes and forms lying around that I need to unload soon.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v379/RareGMFan/Mirrors/

So no one knows if I can use a temp sensor out of a Bonneville on a Gentex two line display compass/temp mirror? Since the auctions that have the temp sensor with them for for about $20 more than ones that don't :willynilly:

Ya but spending $1 for the sensor at a J/Y is a lot better than spending $25 on a new one. Plus I am pretty sure my local GM dealer got cut and is closed down because there are no cars in the lot anymore.

My fault. I thought you were saying it's only $20 more for a mirror with sensor, like it was a good deal. That's why I was pointing out a new one is like $25 at the dealer.

Anyhow, I can't say for sure if the Bonneville sensor would work, or not. I don't know what would be so different about temp sensors that they wouldn't be interchangeable, but I can't say go for it, either. If you're going to wait to find a mirror in the yards, you're best off just waiting and snagging the temp sensor off the same car.

All this talk about these sweet mirrors makes me want one for my Monte and/ or Lumi. Temp and compass would be sweet, as well as autodimming, but map lights I don't really care either way.

You can get aftermarket "fancy mirrors" with a compass, temp display, and "ice" warning for about $100 that don't need too much excessive wiring.

I'd be down with any OEM from a JY as long as it worked. Wiring doesn't bother me in the slightest. Seems like JY is the cheapest route to go.

Ya, I think I am going to get a mirror off of ebay without the sensor and grab that bonneville sensor and if it doesn't work I will have to buy a new one or find a used one somewhere. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Where does everyone recommend running the switched 12v power from? Is the radio the best place or will there be fuses blowing in my future? Also, were is the best place to get the temp sensor through the firewall on my Lumina.

The radio switched power can take some extra load. I've had a Sirius, iphone charger, and my old car phone hooked into that line and never blew a fuse. If you have just the mirror, it shouldn't be a problem. Those things don't draw too much power.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for bumping up this but I bought a Gentex dual display (Compass on top, temp on bottom) 16 pin mirror on ebay which took forever to come. I tried that temp sensor off of the Bonneville and it showed -24F. So I ordered a temp sensor off of ebay for a Gentex mirror and that one now shows -24F also! The Bonneville sensor reads 1k ohms and the gentex sensor reads 10k ohms. Also, when I connect the temp sensor wires on the mirror together the mirror reads -22F. Is the mirror screwed up? Any ideas?

-24° is the default number given when there's something wrong with the temp sensor, or there's no temp sensor reading at all. Are you sure you're using the right pin out?