Fancy Rear view mirror questions

cubsfan24

Got another crazy idea from reading this forum too much :lol:. I was thinking about adding one of those fancy rear view mirrors with a temp display on it to my 96 Lumina. I definitely want the temp but the map lights and compass are optional. So I assume the mirror gets the temp from a sensor that you place on the front of the car or does it get the temp from a sensor in the intake? Also if I get one with a compass does this require any wiring or is the compass self contained in the mirror. The last question is I was reading past threads and I guess some of the mirrors like the ones from the Intrigue will drain your battery in like a week when wired on another car. I would like to find one that won't drain my battery if I don't drive it for a week for whatever reason.

Anyone got a perfect mirror?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• cubsfan24

• Addicted to eaton

• ManicMechanic

• ToroToro

It gets the temp somewhere on the car, Not the one in the intake lol that would show its a Hot SOB out side unless you have a Cold air intake. on the 95 Grand prix's its up in front by the raid. But that’s for a DIC. Basically you put it anywhere you want that it gets outside temp. they will not drain unless there on all the time IIRC, Mine doesnt ;) On my mirror the compass is Where you mount the mirror I can get a pic if you would like. I personally would look for one out of a 2003 Grand prix (im sure other years too Just don’t get one’s the leak fluid!

Ok, so I will have to find the sensor off of the car I get the mirror off of. Also, do most GM's use the same mounting clip on the windshield so I wouldn't have to switch them out? So I am basically looking for any GM with the features I want? Any particular cars?

They all use the same mirror button, some have a set screw some dont. But if your pulling it from a junkyard, dont dick around... just break it off and take the button and mirror all in one go!

The compass only needs a hot in run wire to work, its all built in. I used one off a park ave ultra in my CS. But if you want temp too you'll have to look newer. 1997+ Aurora would be perfect I think. None of them have map lights though so you'll want a nifty GP overhead console to match!

mar7clean004.jpg

Really? They must be pretty damn hard to come by, I remember looking for quite some time! Either way I only mention the Aurora because they are coming to that age finally where I see them all over junkyards. Probobly thanks in part the the N*'s relatively short life expectancy and costly repairs. I'm living that dream now... :willynilly:

Map Lights are not really important to me. I have a dome light and I think I can find the ignition with just the dome light lol. I have never used my map lights other than when they come on to get into the car which I think I could live without. Since I hardly ever get into my car at night and not be in a parking lot with lights. Although that overhead light console is nifty. But my interior is maroon so I don't think they made them that color. Toro, that particular mirror doesn't drain your battery? Or is this battery drain issue only on the Intrigue mirrors?

yup

Imgp3141.jpg

Does that wire dangling there come with the mirror :lol:

If I find one with onstar would the mirror still work fine except for the fact that I would have an onstar button that didn't work? Thanks you guys are being helpful. Now I need to go to the junkyard and look for some mirrors.

yup

Does that wire dangling there come with the mirror :lol:

If I find one with onstar would the mirror still work fine except for the fact that I would have an onstar button that didn't work? Thanks you guys are being helpful. Now I need to go to the junkyard and look for some mirrors.

lol Yeah! Im not sure on that but im almost positive it would. yes, yes it would not that i think about it

I'm not aware of the Intrigue mirror battery drain issue, but the Park Ave mirror never drained the battery at at all. It was only wired hot in run off the radio anyway so there was pretty much no way FOR it to drain.

Anthony, is that still made by gentex or no? It looks different than every other mirror ive seen in a gm...

They all use the same mirror button, some have a set screw some dont. But if your pulling it from a junkyard, dont dick around... just break it off and take the button and mirror all in one go!

The compass only needs a hot in run wire to work, its all built in. I used one off a park ave ultra in my CS. But if you want temp too you'll have to look newer. 1997+ Aurora would be perfect I think. None of them have map lights though so you'll want a nifty GP overhead console to match!

mar7clean004.jpg

or you can do what i did and got a unit out of a '96 blazer. they have console and map lights built in. but that's the complicated route.

PICT0079.jpg

My auto-dim compass mirror was removed without my permission but fortunately Bob is sending me another to replace it.

I'm not aware of the Intrigue mirror battery drain issue, but the Park Ave mirror never drained the battery at at all.

Here is a post from GnatGoSplat in 2006

"Intrigue didn't have temp, it was compass and LED domelights only. The Intrigues displayed outside temp in the climate control so it wasn't needed in the mirror. The problem with the Intrigue mirrors is they consume power at all times and will drain your battery after a few days if you don't drive the car. The Intrigue's BCM controlled all the power to the mirror so it was able to cut power after a certain time period of inactivity."

89SupremeCutty That looks cool but I don't think I could get one to even 10% match my maroon headliner. That would be cool if I could get my MPG readings on there but you said my 96 isn't capable of displaying that in your thread :cry:

just wire to a fused power!

Then how would the map lights come on if the car wasn't in run? It doesn't really matter cause I def want one with the temp on it.