WTF happend to my rear???? -HELP-

GP4U2NV

Ok, guys and gals I need some help.

JFYI, my 1993 has the stock rear shocks in the car. Had a sagging rear suspension due to age and added weight (stereo). I have been getting parts together for the rear suspension coil over upgrade. I am just waiting on what I will do for rear mounts. I will be doing the complete rear from a 2nd gen (hold the strut). For the mean time I just installed the mogg pads for rear end lift.

My concern, I went to Tenn over the the holiday weekend. I was loaded as my wife was with me. The whole way there the rear suspennsion bottomed out and bouced. Now, this is not something that was "normal" for this car. I am sure that the rear shocks are toast. I aslo noted that I am sitting lower than before!!!!!!

Now, before anyone says the rear shocks do not provide ride hieght......I know that the shocks/struts on vehicles are desiged to just stop spring ossolation(sp). My only wonder is how did I get so low so fast. I mean in a 500 mile trip I am 2 inchs-ish lower in the rear.

I have new rear shocks. I have to have the car at the Pontiac Covention the first week July. I also want to take the car to the Dayton meet next week. Should I just install the rear shocks?

HELP

It sounds like a issue of really blown out shocks, however inspect your swaybar brackets, and make sure the leaf spring is not cracked

What would sway bar brackets have to do with it? :confused?:

I would definitely say the shocks are just toast.. but take a peek in your trunk, make sure they didn't punch through the top of the mounts.

as per the way it is designed... the shocks/struts do contribute to ride height, as they actually are trying to push the rod up and out. a new KYB or Sensatrack strut will probably make the vehicle sit 1-2" higher than a worn out OEM strut.

as per the way it is designed... the shocks/struts do contribute to ride height, as they actually are trying to push the rod up and out. a new KYB or Sensatrack strut will probably make the vehicle sit 1-2" higher than a worn out OEM strut.

Only gas pressurized ones do... Our OE struts arent gas charged nor at Gabriels.. Unsure of Monroes though and i know KYBs are

And the amount is minimal and temporary until it settles in... Then they return to stock ride height based on the spring..

BTW, Springs sag over time, and the amount they sag is much greater and happens quicker with more weight being supported..

excessive occilations to the extreme will damage the spring very very quickly...

Soo, not only are your STRUTS (not shocks) are toast, your stock spring has been fatigued and is junk..

Problem solved

ride height is all about the spring and (barely) about the struts. Get the leaf spring checked out.

Truth. I've had new gas charged struts lift the back end for maybe a week, then it settles back down.

No idea how long the car has had blown out rear suspension, but it contributes to the overall wear of the spring, It may be cracked or plain worn out.