Audi A4 Sport Rims on w-body - Pics with wheels page 3!!!

xtremerevolution

I have a deal on some stock 2007 17" Audi A4 rims from my boss who is trying to get rid of them. He's willing to give me a great deal for them with practically new tires, and my tires need to be replaced within the next 2000 miles. The problem is, they're the wrong bolt pattern. As if that wasn't enough, I'm not sure if the center hub will fit.

I was able to fit 5x114.3's perfectly fine, but this might be a different story. These are 5x112. Before you say they won't fit, I want to know exactly why and whether or not the bolts will line up. 3mm is really not a whole lot of a difference provided the center hubs match.

Also, does anyone know what the center hub for 1st gen w-bodies is? I measured the center hub on these wheels with a caliper and they came out to 2.25" exactly, or roughly 57mm.

Could I make these fit?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• xtremerevolution

• jake91

• slick

• AL

well i cant tell you if they will fit, but you could always get adapters

http://adaptitusa.com/

If I have to get a adapters, I'll just say screw it and not do it as the adapters will cost me more than the rims themselves.

Here's what they look like:

audi_wheels.jpg?t=1240871593

damn you are getting a good deal then

Yeah, but damn I'm getting screwed since w-bodies need a 70.30mm center bore. I wonder if its even worth it to have a shop bore them out. I'll try to see if they even fit over the bolts.

Why not just borrow one and try to bolt it up?

Yep, I already have one in my car.

You also need to keep in mind that you are thinking 3mm difference between 1 lug to the other. Now, multiply that x5.

Isn't the 112 the distance between the center of the wheel and the center of each bolt hole?

While that may be true, your lugs will not be centered in the actual lug holes themselves. If there is space between the lugs, and the lug holes, then you should be fine. However, if it is a tight fit, your going to cause some serious stress on those lugs.

Losing wheels at highway speeds surely wouldn't be fun!!

No, Its the distance from one lug, crossing center to the lug furthest away (easier to measure when theres 4 or 6 lugs)... Think of the 112 as the diameter of a circle.

So it would be essentially 1.5mm that I'd be off. Not enough for me to be seriously concerned.

While that may be true, your lugs will not be centered in the actual lug holes themselves. If there is space between the lugs, and the lug holes, then you should be fine. However, if it is a tight fit, your going to cause some serious stress on those lugs.

Losing wheels at highway speeds surely wouldn't be fun!!

Agreed. However, isn't it true that the only purpose for the lugnuts is to hold the wheel onto the hub, being that the stock rims are hubcentric?

Well your going to cause alot of stress on your studs as well cause when the lugnuts are on and torqued, it might actually cause the stud to bend

Not if I use lugnuts that aren't tapered at the tip. If I find lugnuts that have a wider surface contact area and aren't tapered, they won't stress the studs at all.

Photo_042709_001.jpg

Photo_042709_002.jpg

Photo_042709_003.jpg

Andrei, what is 1.5 mm's in inches.....that's .039".

A human hair is .003 i'd say 11 human hairs is ok....as long as the hub is snug and the bolt holes are large enough to allow for the slight off-ness. check your calipers and see what 40 thou is and see if you think it is a lot

Agreed. They do look good on the car. It's hard to tell without tires, but do they hang out of the wheel well a bit? If so, I'm not too fond of the rollerskate look :rolleyes:

Tom

they sit just inside the wheel well as is, and keep in mind they're sitting on top of the hub.

adam, I checked the clearance with the calipers earlier and they should clear without a problem.

the last rims I tried were off an 06 rsx-s and those were horribly offset to the point where I needed a 3/8" spacer to make them look halfway decent. these are an inch wider than those at 17x8, so they should fit quite well. i'm thinking of offering $300 cash for the wheels and tires given that i'll need to have some work done to make them fit.

not sure if I already posted this in my red brake caliper thread, but I took one of the rims home and they fit over my studs just fine. The bolt pattern is clearly a bit off, but if I use the nuts i'm planning to with some washers, it shouldn't make a difference. I found a shop here which will bore the center hub of the rims for $10-$15 a wheel depending on what wheel was on the machine before, as long as the tires are off the rims, which they are. I ended up buying the rims for $400. The tires are brand new pirelli fourseasons at 235/45/17. two of the rims are slightly scuffed as they had been dropped at one point, but the other two are in perfect condition.

woot!

The bolt pattern is clearly a bit off

based on that fact alone, there is no way in hell I would mount and drive on the wheels.....sounds like you are just asking for trouble....I hope that everything stays safe for you, I don't know why you just didn't buy wheels/tires with the correct pattern

I can not believe that you'd put wheels that are not the correct bolt pattern on your car. Don't get me wrong, they might "fit" but they WILL be putting stress on that car in areas there should not be stress. I'll second Jeremy and say that I really hope that you never have an issue with them and you stay safe.

They do look very nice on the car from the pics I saw in the other thread.

I can not believe that you'd put wheels that are not the correct bolt pattern on your car. Don't get me wrong, they might "fit" but they WILL be putting stress on that car in areas there should not be stress. I'll second Jeremy and say that I really hope that you never have an issue with them and you stay safe.

They do look very nice on the car from the pics I saw in the other thread.

Alright, I'm pissed. Not at you, but at my mouse. It has a thumb back button and I've written up an explanation with my rationale for this twice and accidentally hit that button, losing everything. Argh.

Anyways...

Not that you implied, assumed, or called me an idiot, but I'm not an idiot. Hear me out.

lugnut.jpg

This is your typical lug nut. Its are tapered for two reasons; first to center the wheel when tightening, and second to allow more surface contact between the nut and the wheel to prevent it from loosening. The first reason is null and void given that these are hubcentric wheels, which (for those of you who don't know) means that the lateral force of the wheel is applied directly to the hub. The lugnuts are used **only** to keep the wheel pressed onto the hub.

Given that, I have two options

The first option is to cut off the tapered part of the lug nut and use that in conjunction with a standard and a lock washer. The use of the standard washer will increase the surface area over which the force is applied when tightening, and the locking washer will help to keep it from loosening. Somehow though, with the torque lug wrench I'm using and how hard I tighten my lugnuts, I highly doubt these will be loosening up. The only other disadvantage to this is that the lugnuts will tighten against less stud thread.

The second option is to use the second lug nut in this picture:

lugnut.jpg

These are available in chrome at your nearest auto zone for $30 or so for all 4 wheels and include washers. Its generally the same concept as the ones described above. I fully understand that this is option is entirely dependent on the lugnut's ability to slide through the holes in the wheels without applying lateral stress to the studs; that they have enough clearance for the thinner part to squeeze through. This would allow me to catch the stud from deeper in and have more thread surface contact with the nut. So long as these fit, I should have absolutely no problems with the 1.5mm difference in the centering of the studs on the wheels. After all, they slid through very easily.

Worst case I can use my dremel to enlarge a very small bit of 1/4 of the wheel's holes in order to allow this style of lugnut to slide through.

As long as I don't apply lateral force to the studs and that the wheel's center hole rests securely on the entire circumference of my hub, I should have absolutely no problems with these rims for the life of the vehicle.

As you can see here, there should be plenty of space for washers.

Photo_042709_002.jpg

Might also be worth mentioning that the tires are the 94H rated tires and sell for $111 on tirerack, which means you aren't getting them cheaper anywhere else.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=P6+Four+Seasons&partnum=345HR7P6&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=6

Considering that he put on the new rims immediately after he got home and that these never saw more than 50 miles of road, I'd say I'm getting a pretty good deal. Can't beat this for $400. That's why I didn't go out and try to find rims that would match my bolt pattern. The rim you see in that picture above has the worst of the scratches/chips from being dropped.

so I decided not to half ass the job. the place I took the rims to is legit, precise heavy machinery and all. they do this for a living. for $25 a wheel, the guy will bore out the center to 70.4mm, drill out the bolt holes to 5x115, and press in inserts for the lug nuts. i'll take pictures when I get them back. he said they should be done either today or some time tomorrow morning.

Wow. This guy did a NICE job. The inserts for the lugnuts look very well done. Overall a VERY impressive job. The bore is not all the way through so I can still modify the audi center caps, and it looks very well machined and polished. I'll post up the pictures when I get a chance. I'd recommend this guy to anyone. Tires are getting mounted and balanced later today, so I'll get pics then as well.