Question about a [gasp] Regal

DropTopOlds

Around town there used to be a dark blue Regal coupe (which I think are attractive in GS trim). It had a full body kit and tasteful rear spoiler. On the side on the ground effects it had the letters GST.

Interestingly enough, there's another one just like it ~75 miles from here.

Has anyone seen what I'm talking about? They are drop dead gorgeous and I've seen only two... and they're exactly alike.

Can anyone share any info?

BTW, don't bother checking at Razzi.com . It's not that body kit. Razzi's body kit is a bit cheesy (or at least their pics are). I've never seen this body kit since.

Guest TurboSedan

oh my god i think i'm gonna be sick! those GFX SCREAM 1989!!! the CS front piece hardly even matches the body lines and there is a half foot between the top of the tire and the wheel well! all those pics need is some tall skinny dude with a mullet posing for his senior picture leaning on the front fender hahaha. seriously, if anyone gets aftermarket GFX, at least look into aeroform. razzi sucks!!! those cars look so miami vice!

joshua

Frankly I think the above Regal ground effects to be too large and heavy looking and find the Razzi quite nice on the gold car, at least in these pictures. http://www.razzi.com/vehicles/buick/gfx/large/regal_8890_2dr_1028_3.jpg

I just purchased a 91 Limited, Midnight Blue, excellent blue interior, high miles, excellent shape, highly maintained original owner car. Best of all 3800 Buick engine. Winter car ? I guess so.

The chrome doesnt flow with the rest of that gold car. At least if it must be there, run it across the whole car (doors) then it would look alright. However the chrome creates a big "dividing" line between the car and the ground effects, which most people don't want. That would make the car out of my consideration. Anyways

Having been around many decades I dont have the chromeafobia that most of the younger guys do. In fact that little touch ads some contrast to the car that the big white one above lacks. These "chrome" moldings that were put on the 80's cars were - to me a throw back to the older wrap around bumpers found on some sports cars. Very refreshing at the time concidering the styling of the previous gen. square, big bumper cars.

Solid body color looks great too. Our LSS has it with just a chrome bumper strip for contrast.

This Regal Limited I bought has a really nice anodized aluminum body molding. Sets the car right off.

How come all these car forums wind up being a few people bashing other peoples tastes on trim levels , paint colors , interior trim , ground effects and so forth ? They start out as a place for people with comon interests in certain model cars and wind up being just a few harshly opionated bashers . If all cars looked the same the auto world would be dull. Most of todays new cars are headed that way. Everybodys got opinions but using them like sledge hammers ? Real disappointing !

want crome buy a honda i dont think any car should have crome on it i am sorry i think crome takes away from a area that had crome plastered everywhere this area i speak of 50-70s V8 rear wheel drive big monsters of power these car deff were flashy with crome then we gett to the area we are in now the pussy lets save the fucking earth move where the flow of the lines is better with crom NO crome should be the FULL bumper or full piece of the beast not a fucking stripe or a piece here and there get a life crome heads!

Bashing? Ok, I have an opinion on the chrome on that buick, you have yours. I dont have chromafobia, I just know that certain cars look good with it (Cars made until 1987, also Full size trucks) and look like absolute ASS on any modern looking car such as a 90+ Pontiac or Oldsmobile. It creates lines and sticks out, that's why I painted over the chrome line going around my car, and I'm about to black out the chrome around the windows. I ***like*** the chrome on the Regals if the ground effects aren't present, with them it looks out of place. THe best way that ground effects look is if you cannot visually see a huge cut line where the ground effects "must have been added". I think that gold regal would look a ton better with the ground effects off, and 15" dish style (solid, or with the round holes, I dont care) alloy wheels with raised white lettered tires.

On another item? Want chrome buy a honda?? I always remember them with bare unpainted rubber bumpers?

Guest TurboSedan
Having been around many decades I dont have the chromeafobia that most of the younger guys do. In fact that little touch ads some contrast to the car that the big white one above lacks. These "chrome" moldings that were put on the 80's cars were - to me a throw back to the older wrap around bumpers found on some sports cars. Very refreshing at the time concidering the styling of the previous gen. square, big bumper cars.

Solid body color looks great too. Our LSS has it with just a chrome bumper strip for contrast.

This Regal Limited I bought has a really nice anodized aluminum body molding. Sets the car right off.

How come all these car forums wind up being a few people bashing other peoples tastes on trim levels , paint colors , interior trim , ground effects and so forth ? They start out as a place for people with comon interests in certain model cars and wind up being just a few harshly opionated bashers . If all cars looked the same the auto world would be dull. Most of todays new cars are headed that way. Everybodys got opinions but using them like sledge hammers ? Real disappointing !

i wouldn't call it bashing, it's more of a reflection of what's *in*. you know, kind of like mullets. back in '89, those ground effects would have been cool....you know...the Testarossa style side moldings. those Razzi GFX are just a little TOO far out in other words. the car might as well have neon pink and green graphics stuck on it along with mirror tint and old ass 14" directional wheels. if you were to see a person with a mullet now, it would be the same thing...."where has that guy been?!?!" otoh, the gold regal looks much better, but the ground effect still aren't subtle enough. gfx that are too far out look like a wild afterthought IMO.

joshua

Well I like em either way. I understand what your talking about but the aluminum on that Regal doesnt destroy the appearence or effect on that car for me. I'm sure its my background of car interest since the 60's. Chrome doesnt stick out to me but I really notice lack of it as well as over use such as some cars from the 50's (awsome but extreme) Bumpers were always chrome so it doesnt look out of place to me. I disliked all excess chrome moldings except letters in the seventies when I was younger and felt only the bumpers should be chrome. So I have changed in my tastes on this. Now I like the little things when done tastefully. The wide chrome door on your Cutlass is not my preference and stands out because of bumper cover and overall width. Like I said about the white Regals huge unbroken white nose. To me it needs a little shave but something to break it up.

On other matters I have no problems with opinions , cheap attitude especially from the safety of a long distance wire has proven very detrimental to rallying interest from many other owners. I thought that cheap attitude was a Ricer thing . Not really . I recognize it for what it is. Many many a good car man is leaving these web sites because of bullshit from the likes of the above poster. I bet he never contributes useful information on problem topics either.

There is such thing as ricers owning domestic cars. Look around here and you'll find at least a half dozen

On the chrome side strips I had. For some reason I had a thing for the Mercury Cougar Elite with the chrome in a nearly identical spot. I went for it, liked it for about 8-10 months, then just went for the 2 tone and the SL moldings

Malibuolds , It was that oh my god I'm going to be sick, yea that was a bit bashy. Then like Brian said its a 1989 era car. I always found mimicking the Ferrari a little sad myself but I also cant stand the flat sided look of a Nascar or oval track racer either. Thats where areodynamics lead you , to dull bubble shaped cars with the least amount of breaks in the sheet skin as possible. Even the Grand Prix cars have lost their identity.

I dont know about the times, I've never been trendy. I see the Eclipse all dressed up and they look great, not for me but I'll not knock em' they have plain ballooned out panels and low round noses with once again Ferrari based air intakes. I dont think this would look good on our cars. I like the gold Razzi car dont like the red Razzi one. The above white one is to heavy and same for the other white one I saw on another topic here. I would love to see them all lined up side by side, then I would like them all just fine :) so long as my car was the gold one 8) . You've got to realize people from different eras are going to have different taste.

Guest TurboSedan

point taken :) of course, i would never slam someones own car on this forum, but i figured since i was commenting on the Razzi car itself then i wouldn't be offending anyone. as far as i know noone has a Regal with those GFX on this forum (and for good reason hehehe)

joshua

Guest TurboSedan

can anyone post a pic of a mullet :) it's the perfect haircut for someone that can't decide if they want to be badass or businessman. short in front, long in back....the type that likes Quiet Riot and Def Lepard but won't admit it. this haircut is reserved for losers that graduated (or should have) around '90, and never left their small town and therefore are stuck working some shit ass job, and are clueless about almost everything that has happened since MTV stopped airing 'Headbangers Ball'.

joshua