LIM Refailure!!! UPDATE, It'll Survive To See Another Day

BXX

yeah, except by drain coolant, I just removed the upper rad hose :lol:

Uhm... Upper? Not lower? Ouch, that obviously drained next to no coolant in the engine since #1 the T-stat is closed, #2 the T-stat housing neck and radiator inlet are higher than the LIM. I can imagine the amount of coolant that fell past the lifter valley.

Yeah, im pretty sure im fine... a quart of coolant in the oil idleing for like 20minutes cant do tooo much damage. There was no metal in the oil at all..

Im still gonna fix the coolant disconnect and recheck/pressure test the system. Something in the back of my mind tells me I undertoruqed the LIM bolts. I dunno why.. Well, it'll be the first LIM gasket job ive done that I have screwed up outta well over a couple dozen..

Well you could always recheck the side LIM bolts you can get to and see if they're undertorqued.

Yeah, after thinking about it, the upper hose didnt drain out much. Imagine how much woulda got dumped in if I hadnt removed the heater bypass pipe too :lol:

I got the new disconnect fiting on, not bad except its a hell of a lot easier if the intake was off. Had Napa bring me one while I was at work, only set me back $7.23

I bled the coolant system.. Damn air pockets.. It holds pressure until my radiator cap decides to bleed it off prematurely.. Its holding about 11psi. It'll work for now, I will replace it when I get a LQ1 radiator put in.. Damn cap is only a year old too :willynilly:

Everything seems peachy right now, I will keep my eye on it though. Im still gonna track down a nice low mileage LX9 though...

drill a small hole in the thermostat. makes bleeding TONS easier.

Yeah, I thought about that, I dont know why I didnt buy a drilled thermostat.. Ive had the one I put in for almost a year new in the box so I was tossing up whether buying the drilled stat would be worth $10 when I have a new one..

I was smart though, made sure I put a good 180 stat in

Hey bob, if you didn't ship them yet, don't!!!

SHIT!! I made sure to get them out no matter what today :willynilly:

Read your PMs LOL!

It's all good.

Thank you!

After you little rant, I think its funny you don't mind plastic LIM gaskets for the 3500. There are no metal options. L67 swap for you.

Yeah, but the 3500s are showing a failure rate anywhere near what the 3100/3400s have..

Its not the gaskets that piss me off, its how crap is bolted to the damn engine.. 3500s got a little more sane, not much, but some...

Ok, i give, what did they change for how crap is bolted to the damn engine?

From what I have seen (mainly the LZEs) are the heater pipe lines and easier to deal with, the coilpack bracket has changed, a few other things.

Its just the littlest things that make the difference.. I know its not much. Its hard for me to describe, but after repairing dozens of LIMs and ripping apart many others, everytime you touch one you get irritated at the same things even though you know exactly how to remove/deal with it..

I dunno.... im starting to think I need to see a shrink again... I know anger management classes are severely needed

drill a small hole in the thermostat. makes bleeding TONS easier.

I did this last sunday when I changed my T-stat... I drilled a 1/16" hole. I've never had a "no bleeding required" T-stat job before on these cars until this time :lol:

Ok, i give, what did they change for how crap is bolted to the damn engine?

From what I have seen (mainly the LZEs) are the heater pipe lines and easier to deal with, the coilpack bracket has changed, a few other things.

Its just the littlest things that make the difference.. I know its not much. Its hard for me to describe, but after repairing dozens of LIMs and ripping apart many others, everytime you touch one you get irritated at the same things even though you know exactly how to remove/deal with it..

I dunno.... im starting to think I need to see a shrink again... I know anger management classes are severely needed

IIRC the LZE doesn't even have coolant passing thru the LIM so that's advantage #1. They have that "U" cooling system circulation using a bypass pipe to connect the path between the heads. Best idea ever, I only wish they had thought of it in 1993.

I take care of the coil packs this way:

I remove all 3 coils an the ICM from the aluminum plate. set them aside so the coils don't get mixed. all you need is a 5.5 mm socket, and you don;t even need to separate the coils from the ICM. they you have more access to the plate.

when you reinstall. put EVERYTHING in place, and then stick on the coils and ICM, that way you get all the vac and wires and stuff in the right place.

btw... they make a tool that allows you to reach the rear bolts on the ICM plate...

**DRUMROLL**

it's called a universal joint.

The 3500 LIM gasket set from GM is different than the ones that came on the leaky 3100's. It should not leak. I had no worries installing the new set on mine when I tore the top end of my 3500 off.

It's your only option anyways :cool:

Oil level has not changes, no engine noises (damn things as quite as its ever been), and coolant system seems to keep pressure fine... Gets heat a bit quicker (warm) and gets pretty damn hot after 15 minutes in 20 degree weather.. Yeah, its been cold around here..

On another note, I still gotta check my fuel trims. Not sure if I have a vacuum leak or that the intakes are able to flow that much better.. I hear a whistle through my CAI while driving under certain questions.. Car idles great, a little higher than it used to, but its actually now correct for what the coolant temp is. Me thinks my 170K coolant temp sensor was showing its age... Ice cold, idle at 1K in gear, and 1200 in P/N and comes down as it warm up..

Now that I got a bit more airflow, I think im gonna enjoy this engine until it blows up.. Gotta retune now!

I rechecked the oil once again today, its all good.. I will need to do another oil change this week though to get any remaining coolant out even though there just seems to be minimal goo left on part of the front valve cover on the inside

Lets see if she will make it until this spring. a L26 3800 is going in once it starts hammering or come spring.

Awesome, sounds good.

Yup... I love my 660s, but for easy of maintenance and reliability on my DD, the S3 3800 fits the bill better..

Speaking of sound. My exhaust note has changed quite a bit. Sounds much much deeper at idle (sounds like a BB Chevy mixed with a WRX) and is a bit deeper and louder as I accelerate. The intake absolutely roars now...

The 3500 LIM gasket set from GM is different than the ones that came on the leaky 3100's. It should not leak. I had no worries installing the new set on mine when I tore the top end of my 3500 off.

Just wanted to jet in to say, I saw the vid you have on google. car sounds amazing! :D

Just wanted to jet in to say, I saw the vid you have on google. car sounds amazing! :D

Link to said video?? I wanna hear it!