LIM Refailure!!! UPDATE, It'll Survive To See Another Day

BXX

FUCK SHIT!!!!

1 of 2 things caused my intake gaskets not want to seal...

Our coolant flush machine overpressurized the system and blew them

Or I somehow misteriously undertorqued the intake manifold, possibly the old torque wrench I used (supposedly dead accurate)

Either way, after running the car for 1/2 hour and doing the coolant flush after installing the new intakes and gaskets, I changed the oil only to have a thin chocolate milkshake pour out :sad:

Im gonna keep the cap off and keep pressure off the system again until this weekend I can pull the plenum and retorque the LIM hoping thats the problem. Im gonna buy a new torque wrench for this.

On the upside, with the 3400 intakes and tb, she fuckin hustles! Noticable difference!

Well, im on the prowl for a 3400 engine now. Im at 170K (stock gaskets just blew) and I want to hit 200K before I rip the engine out, but I dont see how its gonna make it that far now. There was prolly a quart of coolant in the oil when I drained it. Only thing that might have saved it was the car remained at idle the entire time, but coolant isnt forgiving at all on bearings.

Im gonna retorque the plenum and drive it until a rod shoots through the block. In the meantime, 3400 here we come

Nothing really WEWT about it.. Its not really good. Kinda pisses me off for the simple fact I coulda kept driving it around how it was keeping the cooling system from pressurizing because the gasket failed externally, not internally.

Hmm, my other thought is that when I lifter the LIM off, it poured a bunch of coolant in the valley. I did notice an amount, but didnt pay attention to how much...

Leaving the shop, I drove like 5 hard miles and stop and go and got home and rechecked the oil, the level was dead on... I figure with the LIM refailing and dumping a lot of coolant in, the level woulda increased :question:

the gasket didn't slip any, right?

Yes a decent amount of coolant will enter the crankcase upon removing the LIM unless you do something fancy (I've blown shop air thru the system, it reduced it a lot).

When did you change the oil? Please tell me it was immediately after the gasket change?

If you used the metal gasket kit, then it shouldn't leak unless the manifold or head is warped. I would suspect those before a coolant flush machine blows them out. The system is designed for 15psi. Do a pressure test and be sure its blown and not just coolant getting into the crankcase after a swap.

Yes a decent amount of coolant will enter the crankcase upon removing the LIM unless you do something fancy (I've blown shop air thru the system, it reduced it a lot).

When did you change the oil? Please tell me it was immediately after the gasket change?

Its was after I flushed the coolant and bled the system. I only change the oil immediately if the LIM leaked into it prior, mine was purely external somehow for 170K.. and yes, they sure were original GM intake gaskets :lol:

I gotta fix a small coolant leak (damn heater core pipe off the LIM, I didnt get it seated all the way) I woulda done it when I got home and popped it in a bit more, but the pipe was hot as hell :lol: Go figure.

If you used the metal gasket kit, then it shouldn't leak unless the manifold or head is warped. I would suspect those before a coolant flush machine blows them out. The system is designed for 15psi. Do a pressure test and be sure its blown and not just coolant getting into the crankcase after a swap.

I didnt use the metal gaskets, I used the plasted GM revisioned ones. Only needed to last 30K more, not a lifetime. I only used the metal gaskets if I need them to last over 50K. Plastic ones never fail under a maintained 30K. Note 'maintained'

Now that I keep thinking about it, the more i think when I lifted the LIM off more coolant poured in than im used to. You would have to seriously undertorque the LIM bolts for it to blow immediately.

I will pressure test it tomorrow...

Hmm. I must be an idiot then. I didn't change my oil after my LIM gasket job on the regal (3800 Series 1, L27), and its been 1000 miles now. Oil looks fine, though its dark since I haven't changed it for 4,000 miles. I'll be changing it this weekend. This will be the first time in 80,000 miles that the car won't be getting fully synthetic. Like hell if I can afford that anymore.

You can't afford an extra few dollars?

Who, me??

And if anyone pops up with 'you used the plastic gaskets that why its leaking again' is an idiot. Any of the plastic gaskets work great for a minimum of 30K if maintained right (i.e coolant flushed and no overheating or hot running)

I got the plastic gaskets for like $30, so it was stupid to spend another $50 for ones that will last 10 times longer than I need them to :lol:

Im gonna hope for the best, but in the meantime, Im gonna try to salvage it if it is indeed not sealed completely. Gonna pick up a cherry picker, engine stand, and a 3400 from pull a part. They have a nice 80K Grand Am with a uber clean 3400 in it..

Not that I am aware of...

Oh yeah, for the record, I installed 3400 large port intakes and TB from a 97 Venture... Almost sounds like I have a vacuum leak of sorts. Idles great, runs perfect though and fuel trims are in spec. Could just be the newfoudn airflow :lol:

Hell, I dont know at this point, im tired and kinda pissed. I want to hit 200K on this engine dammit

Those are the worst large ports to use, but I am guessing you won't use minivan manifolds for your 3400 build that you plan.

Why are they the worst??? Kinda looks pretty identical to others. I matched it up with one from a 01 Alero. Aside from the obvious EGR and lettering differences, I couldnt tell a difference??

I mainly used the minivan manifolds since it has a smooth top and the EGR setup, which now means nothing since I installed the EGR delete kit from WOT-tech :lol:

I was talking to Andrei

Its more of the lazy factor of changing your oil before you really need to.

Car's been running fine though, and I didn't get any coolant in there either when i took the LIM off, so the oil stayed clear.

http://wot-tech.com/Manifolds/manifoldselection.html

That is mostly the upper, but on lowers without a date stamp, the injector boss setup absolutely destroys flow. Its better than small port but certainly the worst of all the large ports. I have a ported lower without the date stamp here that I boost ported and it was in the 180s max for cfm. I have over 200 on other setups.

After looking at your description, you did the job in this order:

Drain coolant->swap manifolds->reassemble->start/run car->flushed/bled cooling system->change oil->notice milky oil.

I think you're fine. You just likely had a lot of coolant fall out of the heads and lower intake.

After looking at your description, you did the job in this order:

Drain coolant->swap manifolds->reassemble->start/run car->flushed/bled cooling system->change oil->notice milky oil.

I think you're fine. You just likely had a lot of coolant fall out of the heads and lower intake.

yeah, except by drain coolant, I just removed the upper rad hose :lol:

Yeah, im pretty sure im fine... a quart of coolant in the oil idleing for like 20minutes cant do tooo much damage. There was no metal in the oil at all..

Im still gonna fix the coolant disconnect and recheck/pressure test the system. Something in the back of my mind tells me I undertoruqed the LIM bolts. I dunno why.. Well, it'll be the first LIM gasket job ive done that I have screwed up outta well over a couple dozen..

yeah, except by drain coolant, I just removed the upper rad hose :lol:

Uhm... Upper? Not lower? Ouch, that obviously drained next to no coolant in the engine since #1 the T-stat is closed, #2 the T-stat housing neck and radiator inlet are higher than the LIM. I can imagine the amount of coolant that fell past the lifter valley.

Yeah, im pretty sure im fine... a quart of coolant in the oil idleing for like 20minutes cant do tooo much damage. There was no metal in the oil at all..

Im still gonna fix the coolant disconnect and recheck/pressure test the system. Something in the back of my mind tells me I undertoruqed the LIM bolts. I dunno why.. Well, it'll be the first LIM gasket job ive done that I have screwed up outta well over a couple dozen..

Well you could always recheck the side LIM bolts you can get to and see if they're undertorqued.

Sounds like it isnt a blown gasket at all. Sounds like he just had coolant in the system from doing the LIM. Do a couple more oil changes in the next 1000 miles, and see if you are loosing coolant at all. My hunch tells me you arent going to be loosing any coolant.

to be correct... I pull the drain plug, let any coolant at the bottom of the engine drain, then stick it back in when oil starts to come out, check the oil level, and run the car till warm, following it up with an oil change.

Sounds like it isnt a blown gasket at all. Sounds like he just had coolant in the system from doing the LIM. Do a couple more oil changes in the next 1000 miles, and see if you are loosing coolant at all. My hunch tells me you arent going to be loosing any coolant.

Yup, thats what it apprears to be.. I cant belive how much got in there. Never been anywhere near that much on the past ones Ive done, although I lifted the LIM off at an angle this time..

Got the new coolant fitting, gotta put it on, rebleed the system and pressure check it..