My new Semi High Performance na 3.1 Build -!Engine Done- Car is running!

Mach 5

when you guys mention a 3400 topend, are you talking about the DOHC?

For a cam, I believe most of the turbo guys are using the Crane H260. Good luck on the build.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mach 5

• Brian P

• gp90se

• slick

Top Posters In This Topic

Yarr.

Don't forget you'll also need to be able to adjust your valvetrain with most aftermarket cams. You can keep your existing rocker arms, but use the adjustable rocker arm STUDS and nuts meant for the older 2.8/3.1 iron headed motors ('80s Camaros, Cavvy's, etc). This allows you to set the proper pre-load for the lifters. The other option (and the only option if using roller rockers on 3100/3400 heads) is getting a set of custom made pushrods for the correct length you'll need, but you have to get this measured precisely.

Get input guys. Well, Im still waiting for the engine as the guy at the junk yard forgot to pull the engine. He said that they shipped it to my house but it never came-at least to my house- and it was a totally different V6. So after a fine discusion with the man, he finally found my engine and sent the parts puller to get the engine out of the car. So I should have this by tomorrow around 10:30AM or at least I hope.

As for the intake manifold, Im searching on 60degreev6.com right now to find out the differences.

Jarek

Is there any pics? If so, whats the link for them? Thanks

Jarek

Jarek, I believe Jeff used to have pictures somewhere on his site --> http://www.turbograndprix.com . I looked real quick and could not find them there anymore though. I'm pretty sure I have a picture of two saved, I'll look for them soon.

I am interested in seeing how this turns out, since I am thinking about sprucing up my own 3.1 in my 91 Cutlass.

Just what is it that makes the intakes on the 2.8/3.1 so terrible? I am afraid of doing a search with all the hits that would bring up. Is it a really bad design, or is it something that could be improved with some porting and polishing? I'd prefer not to do a head and / or intake swap, since this is my daily driver and I can only have it out of commission for short periods. I am just wondering if it would be worthwhile to get an extra set of 3.1 intakes and spend some time machining them a bit.

It's not going to be worthwhile unless you have them extruned honed. Even then, your only going to gain about 15-20 hp, and at the cost to have them done, that may or may not be worth it.

P&P, on what is probably a stock engine, will probably get you a few ponies.

Really, the 2.8/3.1 intakes are very very restrictive.

They are designed for off-the-line power. Thin, long intake runners. You can port them all day long, but they'd never flow as much as 3400 manifolds. That's why I see those motors as something you modify to be even more powerful and torquey below 5500 rpm, forget about going any further in the range.

Crane PowerMax H-260-2: Good idle, daily usage and off-road, towing, economy, also mild turbo-charged, 2200-3000 cruise RPM, 8.0 to 9.5 compression ratio advised. Basic RPM 1500-4500.

Crane PowerMax H-272-2: Good idle, daily usage, and off-road, towing, performance, and fuel efficiency. Increased compression and gearing advised. 2600-3000 cruise RPM, 8.75-10.5 compression ratio advised. Basic RPM 2000-5000.

The H-260 is a good all-around cam. If you're going as far as having the pistons replaced, I may suggest looking into installing 3100 pistons. This would bump your compression ratio from 8.8:1 to 9.6:1. The one I built was somewhere around 11.5:1 (using pistons meant for a gen-1 3.1) which I think was excessive given the application.

Some more:

I actually have it done to the heads. There aren't any cracks and it looks to have low mileage. I just have to figure out how to get the exhaust manifold nuts off the head. The ones for the heat shield are stripped.

Jarek

[attachment deleted by admin] Removed to free up storage space.

Some more:

Sorry for double posting.

I actually have it done to the heads. There aren't any cracks and it looks to have low mileage. I just have to figure out how to get the exhaust manifold nuts off the head. The ones for the heat shield are stripped.

Jarek

try welding another nut to the bolt and then use it to get the bolt out.

I want to see where this build goes and how it does power wise. :razz:

so you had the 260 in yours?

I used the 272 with 1.6 ratio rockers, which brings the lift to .484/.512. Wouldn't recommend it for your application, that was extreme.

Did you have vacuum problems? What did you use for a chip? Do you need pushrods for that cam and stock 1.52 ratio rockers? Did you change your intake?

I appreciate the help I am being given.

As for more work done. Since I am waiting for my check from work, I am short cash. So for now I am doing some touching up. Here is a pic of the almost polished valve cover. It was hit with 100grit then 200, then 1500. It took 2hrs. I still got more polishing, not just on the cover, but on the plenum too. I have decided to go with the 3.1 intake as I love the look and I would like to be a bit different. Im sure it doesn't flow though. Oh... and the non polished section will be painted red.

Thanks again.

Jarek

Did you have vacuum problems?

Not nearly as bad as I thought I'd have. But again the high compression pistons change the engine characteristics that much. When I wasn't running the 1.6 rockers, I was getting too much detonation.

What did you use for a chip?

The best I had at the time was a generic up-tune from Ben. Tuning is going to be one of the biggest tools you'll have to get the motor to its potential. I was going to go as far as drive to Indiana and pay Ben to tune it, but I didn't get that far. You're more than likely going to run rich at idle with the cam.

Do you need pushrods for that cam and stock 1.52 ratio rockers?

Technically yes you should, but using the adjustable rocker studs is the next best (and easier) thing to adjust the valvetrain properly. This is the method I used.

Did you change your intake?

Nay.

Good luck with everything, hope progress happens soon!

Hey man I've been in contact with zoomer at zz preformance and was informed that there shift kit for the 4t65e they sell with work with the older 4t60 transmission's just some food for thought maybe you'll need a shift kit after the build is done..

What do you mean by a shifter kit? Is it like a high stall converter and a bunch of shift point springs or something? Im interested.

As for the valve covers and the cross over:

Here are the pics. I just got to heat treat the paint.

As for the cross over, I might change the flex joint to a smoother flowing one.

Oh, and the Xhaust Manifolds are off. I cut the nuts so I could pull the shield off. the bolts underneath were fine and came right out.

Jarek

What do you mean by a shifter kit? Is it like a high stall converter and a bunch of shift point springs or something? Im interested.

Its probably the accumulator spacers. i have this shift kit installed. pretty decent and easy to install, though i have heard bad things about these style of shift kits.

http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/products1.php?id=570&catid=105

So it holds the clutches inside harder to prevent slippage? What have you heard about these kits?

I have seen something like this installed on horsepower tv and they liked it so it might be something for me to look for in the future.

As of my next mod... I am porting the Exhaust Manifolds and the Intake Manifolds. I am also porting the intake and exhaust on the cylinder heads. I am only removing the material that is not covered by the gasket. It seems that the gaskets are of a bigger size than the ports.

I am sure that the Xhaust will not be much better, but it will be something. This is what I get for being on a low budget and not being able to buy headers.

Here are the ported cylinder heads. The one on the top is ported and the one on the bottom is not. I used a Dremel to cut the ports.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I have finally got it down to the block. Cylinders are honed and pistons are cleaned. I didn't see sludge or grooves in the bearings and journals so I guess everything was taken care of or it is a low mileage engine. I couldn't even feel a taper at the top of the wall. Now I just got to order the stuff. Im ordering new rings, bearings, Comp Cams .440 cam, and gaskets. The .440 cam comes with springs, retainers, locks, and lifters, as well as a double non roller timing chain. I assume that it will all fit. I hope I get the performance I am looking for with this cam. Again I wanted to be different and go with Comp since most people go with Crane Cams according to 60degreev6. I thought about it but it seems to be too much money and puts me out of my budget by a little over $100 bucks. I need what is left over for the valve job. Input is appreciated.

Here is the cam- http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=CCA-K16-233-4

Comp Cams website lists as, "Good performance cam for 2.8L engine. Lope at idle with extremely good top end power." I sure hope this is the one.

Thanks

Jarek