My new Semi High Performance na 3.1 Build -!Engine Done- Car is running!

Mach 5

My new Semi High Performance na 3.1 Build

Thats right. Its all going down in the next couple months. Im actually just waiting for the "new" engine to arrive so I can start to take it apart and build it.

Im sending the heads and intake manifolds to Scorpian Racer Engines to have them machined and ported. The rings and bearings all also coming out and a new high lift cam is going in. I can't wait. Engine is coming on Tuesday, June 19. I will have plenty of pics so be ready.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mach 5

• Brian P

• gp90se

• slick

Top Posters In This Topic

u/d pully

motor mounts

fender-well intake(dohcV6)

60*v6.com chip

180* t-stat

MSD

Keep us informed, i've been waiting for a good 3.1 NA build for a little while. :high5:

180 t-stat and MSD will do nothing.

If its the 3.1 heads and intakes, youll see a little bit of a gain, but if you went with a 3x00 top end, youll get alot more power for the work thats being done.

suggestion bolt 7/8" chain to bellhousing bolt, bolt the other side of the chain to a boat, drop the engine into a body of water...enjoy not drifting away in the current.

As of right now parts I have are

-FFP- UD pulley and dogbones

-tayloy 8.2mm wires

-ngk iridiums

-new icm

-new coils

-new alternator

-new injectors

-180 T-stat

-custom cold air intake

-Big 5 0 guage

-and some other items

-its all on my current engine right now

so all this and

The new block is going to be:

-boared out .010

-new sealed power rings

-3 angle perfomance valve job w/ higher rate springs (I may do 3400 heads)

-high lift cam - still deciding

-cam, crank, and rod bearings all with performance oil groove

-maybe new sealed power pistons

Thats pretty much it for now

I would definately consider the 3400 top end on this engine. You would be wasting lots of potential without doing it. Engine doing just a 3100 top end would help greatly over the 2.8/3.1 topend.

I'm pretty sure Jay(19cutlass94) is selling a top end for a very very good price.

i will consider that but I love the look of the plenum on the 3.1's. So I might do the heads from the 3400 and keep the intake from the 3.1. Or I will keep the 3.1 heads and intake. I don't know yet. Still deciding.

Problem is you can't interchange the heads (IIRC) without changing the intake manifolds. Definetly the exhaust manifolds can't be changed.

I like what you're doing! Keep in mind whatever you build, it's going to want to shine between 1800 rpm and 5000 rpm, so be sure everything corresponds to that (heads, cam etc)

Also get a set of early 3100 rocker arms ('94-95) they're a direct replacement, and give you a 1.6 ratio vs stock 1.5.

won't I have to worry about the pistons hitting the valves with this setup.(1.6 rockers) But I guess it depends on the cam profile.

By the way guys and gals, I like the input. Its greatly appreciated!

Jarek

Good luck getting the 3.1 plenum/intake to work if you plan on using 3X00 heads. There's only one person that has ever accomplished THAT(Jeff M.)..it took a lot of work(cutting & welding)to get it done. :wink:

won't I have to worry about the pistons hitting the valves with this setup.(1.6 rockers) But I guess it depends on the cam profile.

By the way guys and gals, I like the input. Its greatly appreciated!

Jarek

Some years back, I built up a 3.1 with high compression pistons, ported heads, manifolds, TB, used a Crane H-272 cam along with the 1.6 ratio rockers. Exhaust valve lift was somewhere around 0.515" and I had no threat of interference.

well I see you directly doing nothing to contribute to this thread, so do us a favor and quit posting BS. You're the only one here trying to derail it.

BTW 190 hp is a generous figure...

Says you, but I never did get the chance to tune, let alone dyno the car. So neither one of us can say what the number is. I did get the car quicker in the quarter by almost 2 seconds however.

Yeah, the BS postings in the powertrain section. Save it for the section that's made for it. I'd like to actually see a thread stay on topic in here for a change.

The 3.1 when healthy or modified has enough off the line power to pull a friggin ferry :lol: high revving is really not achievable without extensive manifold work (custom plenum, exhaust manifolds, etc) or switching to the 3100/3400 manifolds as a minimum. You'll have to swap out the accelerator cable, and a lot of accessory mounts, brackets, etc to change to those manifolds however.