GP1138's Z34 Thread: NOW HAVE VENTS, and not leaking!!(?)

GP1138

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GP1138

• 5speedz34

• White93z34

• slick

if you are doing the belt, and want to replace the associated parts, i went w/gm parts direct. doesn't hurt to at least get pricings on the parts to compare. Ben & Jon(Pocket Rocket) did do the timing 3 years ago(130k-150k miles at that time).

if you are doing the belt, and want to replace the associated parts, i went w/gm parts direct. doesn't hurt to at least get pricings on the parts to compare. Ben & Jon(Pocket Rocket) did do the timing 3 years ago(130k-150k miles at that time).

So it has the retard?

I would leave it then if the miles aren't racked up to much.

So it has the retard?

over 210,000 right now if i remeber right.

So it has the retard?

over 210,000 right now if i remeber right.

Correct. I've also put 600 miles on it since I've had it. :lol:

More valve cover action:

DSC05553.jpg

DSC05547.jpg

DSC05545.jpg

DSC05544.jpg

Not encountered too many problems so far. I wish I could find a newer style plenum, but I'm not sure of the benefits of that.

This engine doesn't need any more low end loss. If I floor it it surges right around 4k RPM and doesn't stop pulling until redline.

The plenum was easy, it seemed to hang up right around the EGR, but I finagled it a little, and it was really not that hard. I didn't lose any coolant, either. If I do the intake gaskets, I think I'll lose some.

You should be fine. I didn't lose any when I pulled the lower.

Once you pull both intakes once, if you ever have to do intake gaskets again, it's less than a 1 hour job. Super easy on the 3.4's.

I had the same hangup on the egr as well, it's a bit more fun putting it back on.

You have such low end loss from the 13* mod. If you do the 6 and 6, I don't think there is any loss.

Oh... and from reading something in the past, the 91-93 cams were the most agressive. Doing the 6 and 6 on that with the 96-97 intakes would be nice.

I've always heard the 96 intakes aren't worth it for the autos since they can't rev that high.

You should see really any coolant, except for when you pull the upper rad. hose.

PS-If your due for a tbelt then I would do it.

My problem was the stupid hose that goes to the TB.

Remember, if you do the lower intake manifold gaskets you need to get the 2 bolts that go through the LIM to the engine to pull the LIM down. So it's easier to start the main bolts for the intake. You can start the bolts for the LIM w/o this, but it's a PITA sometimes.

The 96+ intakes would probably suck with an automatic. With a manual, they are definitely FTW.

My '96 revs higher and faster than the Z34. Would it be worth the 6 and 6 timing on my '96 DOHC?

well, the only way i know to check the timing is to pull the valve covers, and rotate the engine by hand, when the front cam flats are facing straight up the back ones should be 180 degrees of it. and vice versa.

How to you tell what the timing is in the first place?

Only reason I know it's timed funny is the weird idle and that he told me in the first place.

Funny this was bumped, I just picked up valve cover gaskets today! It's too $#%$#%#@ cold to do it today, but first warm day I have free, that will be what I do.

wow your engine is a little dirty under the valve covers.... how many miles on it?

I remember at Uncle Ed's Oil Shoppe they have this machine called a Bilestein, it hooks to the oil filter port, and the drain plug, and agitates a heated, petroleum based solution thru the block to dissolve and remove sludge like that.

But then again, maybe all 3.4's look like that, I've only seen inside a few and they were all higher mileage engines.

wow your engine is a little dirty under the valve covers.... how many miles on it?

I remember at Uncle Ed's Oil Shoppe they have this machine called a Bilestein, it hooks to the oil filter port, and the drain plug, and agitates a heated, petroleum based solution thru the block to dissolve and remove sludge like that.

But then again, maybe all 3.4's look like that, I've only seen inside a few and they were all higher mileage engines.

210k, and the plugs were absolutely filthy, just disgusting. One was covered in oil.

Purchased yesterday: FelPro valve cover gaskets, six ACD plain jane spark plugs.

Ok. So I put everything back together today, and I started everything up, and I'm hemorrhaging fuel??? The schraeder valve on the fuel rail is pissing fuel, does the cap have to be on? I thought it was just push it and otherwise it will block itself...

It's missing a little, too, I think. I didn't get much time to fuck with it after I started it the first time, but I'll have more time tomorrow, I think.