Installing GMPP Trailing Arms Problems. Update. INSTALLED! Pics on page 5

Q-Ball

Ok, does anyone know the size of the bolt and nut to take them off? My multi kit doesnt have a big enough size for the part that attatches to the rear wheel. The bolts are pretty rusty and I sprayed it down with a rust penatrator. Whacked it a few times and it still doesnt seem to help. As of right now I'm only using a adjustable wrench and vise grips to try and get them off. I'm also thinking once I get them off, I would like to replace those bolt and nuts. Any idea where I can these from?

Thanks guys and gals.

Update. Angle Grinder FTW!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Q-Ball

• 19Cutlass94

• BXX

• terryk2003

don't remember the sizes....but i know on the body mount bolts (front) ones, i had to torch off the T/A to get it off....lol

i didn't heat up the body mount though...don't want to weaken it....

When I replaced mine, I believe it was an 18mm for the larger bolt and a 15mm for the smaller one. It took a lot of WD-40 and screaming and hammering, but I finally broke them loose. I just ended up using the original bolts to install the new ones, but you could probably check an auto parts store for new bolts or even the dealer (be sure to bring some K-Y if you plan on going to the dealer)

don't remember the sizes....but i know on the body mount bolts (front) ones, i had to torch off the T/A to get it off....lol

i didn't heat up the body mount though...don't want to weaken it....

No torch. Hopefully lots of hammering will work.

When I replaced mine, I believe it was an 18mm for the larger bolt and a 15mm for the smaller one. It took a lot of WD-40 and screaming and hammering, but I finally broke them loose. I just ended up using the original bolts to install the new ones, but you could probably check an auto parts store for new bolts or even the dealer (be sure to bring some K-Y if you plan on going to the dealer)

Haha, But mine are definitly bigger than 22mm. Well, I guess I'll see how the nuts and bolts look when/if I get them off. I probably will end up replacing them though. I'm gonna call up a few auto shops now.

Thanks guys.

I just got done doing mine.

Where it mounts to the body:

15mm bolt

18mm nut

Where it mounts to the knuckle

15\16" bolt

and I believe either a 15/16 nut or a 13/16 nut I cant remember which one it is off hand

Well, it looks like I'm gonna have to find someone with bigger tools. I also ordered the bolts and nuts from a Dealer, no one else stocks them. Just over 10 bucks per bolt. :willynilly:

I'll see how nicely the old ones are, cause I dont feel like spending 40 bucks on some minor hardware.

Oh, since I couldnt do the trailing arms today, I thought about the rear sway bar. Sure enough its the same size as the trailing arms use where it connects to the knuckle. Only if i had that size socket! :cry:

I would cut off the original bolts and replace with new ones.

OMG why?

We did mine tonight. I took each bolt to the wire wheel and cleaned them until they looked new. Then some anti-seize and chabang!

We had a hard time getting the bolts out on mine.

I would cut off the original bolts and replace with new ones.

OMG why?

We did mine tonight. I took each bolt to the wire wheel and cleaned them until they looked new. Then some anti-seize and chabang!

We had a hard time getting the bolts out on mine.

Did you replace the trailering arms?

What I would do is cut them and replace the bolts. It cuts the time in half and you have new non-rusted bolts.

Wow guys, mine were on there tight but they werent that bad. I just used alot of muscle, a squirt of PB blaster and they broke loose. and i used a 10" and 12" crescent cuz i didnt have that big of sockets either!

Well, I borrowed some bigger tools. I got a 22mm socket as well a 15/16 Wrench. Hopefully, I can bust them off. I'm gonna buy the new bolts first and if I dont need them, I'll just return them. Since I only have 1 car to drive.

Impacts are for the weak!!!! :lol: Actually, i've had several impacts fail to bust something loose, where as my breaker bar and 4 foot cheater bar have never failer me...

pfffft....sounds like you need a better impact wrench!...:lol: ...but, seriously, impacts work great on the trailing arms...especially if the bolts are rusted...i'd also recommend spraying some PB Blaster or equivalent on them a few days prior to trying to take them off...let that shit soak good!

Impacts are for the weak!!!! :lol: Actually, i've had several impacts fail to bust something loose, where as my breaker bar and 4 foot cheater bar have never failer me...

pfffft....sounds like you need a better impact wrench!...:lol: ...but, seriously, impacts work great on the trailing arms...especially if the bolts are rusted...i'd also recommend spraying some PB Blaster or equivalent on them a few days prior to trying to take them off...let that shit soak good!

Haha, wasn't mine... 600ftlb Snap-On.... But nothing can replace sheer leverage and my 240lb fat ass... :lol:

PB Blaster FTW!!!!!!!!! Nothing works better, everything else might as well be water...

Haha, wasn't mine... 600ftlb Snap-On.... But nothing can replace sheer leverage and my 240lb fat ass... :lol:

PB Blaster FTW!!!!!!!!! Nothing works better, everything else might as well be water...

Snap-On impacts are pieces of shit!...my dad has one...my uncles cheap ass impact from tractor supply worked better!...:lol: