Looking for fibreglass information...

CSI_MuNkY

Hey,

Dunno if this is in the right spot, if not feel free to move it.

I'm thinking about building a fibreglass center console for my GP, the new console will look close to stock (still use the same top peices) but will go all the way from the front to the rear between my newly installed rear bucket seats.

I've been playing with different layouts of what I would like it to look like using peices of other consoles I picked up at the wreckers. I feel like I've gotten it just the way I want but the amount of gaps that would have to be filled are just too big to do with body filler or even glue (had 2 peices glued together real good but they broke apart).

I know people make custom fiberglass sub enclosures by stapling nylon over a wooden frame, but in my case I have a plastic "base" to use (the old consoles), I'm not interested in completely building a 100% custom console using a wooden frame and everything. (although I thought about doing that and moving the e-brake to be a lever type instead of a pedal, but thats now out of the question) If I got it all where I want it, could I use the same meathod and staple the fabric to the plastic parts? my concern is the staples coming out half way through and ruining the job...

I read a how to saying that you lay the fabric over your frame then add the fibreglass peices to the back and use body filler on the front, can I just use the fibreglass peices on the outside if I don't mind the sanding?

Finally how well with the fiberglass stick to the plastic peices? I'm just thinking if I don't fibreglass all the way to the front there will be a threshold between fibreglass and plastic that I don't want cracking down the road, if thats a risk I will just glass the entire length of the part.

*edit*

The reason for doing this is because I have a 94-96 interior and the older rear console doesn't look right against the rest of the interior, I now have a front console cut up in the back with the same armrest as the front. Having no console back there isn't an option either because you can see where the floor carpet (dark grey) runs into the carpet on the back wall (black) and I think it looks like ass...

Thanx

Jamie

Ok, so basically you want to create a center console for the rear, correct? I didn't read through that, because well, it was one long ass read. You would like it to be similar to the front center console?

Well, you could do this a few different ways.

1)Find a front center console, cut out what you don't need(shifter plate, etc...), and fiberglass the two pieces back together.

or the really fun way

2)Make an MDF frame, wrap in cloth, and start fiberglassing.

Obviously with the second route, your imagination can run wild with whatever design you would like it to look like.

Ok, so basically you want to create a center console for the rear, correct? I didn't read through that, because well, it was one long ass read. You would like it to be similar to the front center console?

Well, you could do this a few different ways.

1)Find a front center console, cut out what you don't need(shifter plate, etc...), and fiberglass the two pieces back together.

or the really fun way

2)Make an MDF frame, wrap in cloth, and start fiberglassing.

Obviously with the second route, your imagination can run wild with whatever design you would like it to look like.

Option one is what I want to do... I'm just wondering how well the fiberglass will stick to the plastic. And if I do fiberglass over the plastic, I don't want to make cup holders and such narrower, so will the transition from fiberglass to plastic crack after all is said and done...

Jamie you need to post a pic of how it sits right now with the 2 consoles... that will give people the idea of what you are doing.

Talk to Jason, he has my computer with all the pics on it, I would go out and take another pic except I spent the day putting my interior back together so I can take it to the mechanic on thursday, way too much hassle pulling it and then putting it back inbetween now and then cause I work all day tomorrow and the car leaves my driveway bright and early thursday morning...

Jason, if you read this, the pics are in the "my pictures" folder I asked you to save, if you can find the mock up of the console and post it that would be great, or, better yet, just get me my computer back, Sheenas laptop is killing me here... peice of crap... comp26.gif

Jamie

The fiberglass will stick to plastic fine, if thats all your worried about.

So, basically your going to take a center console, cut out a big section in the center, then mold them back together correct? If so, that shouldn't be to hard at all.

What I would do, is once you have them cut up, and ready to put them back together, is put them how you want them to be. Then, make a sort of jig or stand so that they will not move when you are applying your fiberglass.

It's kinda hard to explain, and I wish I were closer, so I could help you out some.

I actually understand what your saying, makes perfect sense to make a jig, what I was considering doing was laying down a bunch of thin plastic over the carpet in the car and getting them all into place and doing the work in the car, letting it dry and pull it out to do all the sanding and crap..

If it will stick to plastic good that great too!

as I remembered the other day the arm rest comes out by spliting the lower console into to halfs, I'd need to keep that as an option I think... we'll see

thanks for your help :thumb:

Jamie

You won't want to fiberglass in the car, unless you don't plan on driving it for a few days. The fiberglass will not dry as quick, and your car will reek of fumes for weeks.

moving the e-brake to be a lever type instead of a pedal

ok that is all i read... why not pull one from a beretta and plop it in grab the cable and wire it up

see the problem there being that I like the look of the console lid I have no... I knwo I'm impossible to please but when/if I do that mod it will end up being a completely custom console

You won't want to fiberglass in the car, unless you don't plan on driving it for a few days. The fiberglass will not dry as quick, and your car will reek of fumes for weeks.

thats true... I suppose I could fasten it together somehow as one solid peice then pull it out of the car and do it in the back yard...

Jamie

thats true... I suppose I could fasten it together somehow as one solid peice then pull it out of the car and do it in the back yard...

Jamie

Hell, if anything, get the two pieces of the center console sitting in your car how you would want them to sit, take some small dowl rods or pieces of wood and run those back and forth across the two while taping them down to the console pieces. That should provide enough of a structure to keep them together so you can pull it out, turn it over, and start glassing on the inside.

BTW, when you do glass the plastic, be sure to scuff it up with some heavy grit sandpaper. The heavier the grit, the more it scruff's it up, and the more adhesion the glass will have to the plastic.

If the console is made of a hard plastic material. I would just plastic weld it.

Way better and stronger than any glue/fiberglass. IMHO.

You would need a plastic welder though. [of course. ;) ]

Then you could do everything in the car & know it will fit after. Less messy to.

There are to kinds of welders. Hot air, alittle tricky to use. Or the other looks like a glorified soldering iron with a fancey temp dial and a horse shoe shaped end with a hole in the middle to feed plastic rod into.

Ussualy I just steel a piece of the parent material from some inconspicios place of the part no one sees, or have some spare plastic pieces from other finished projects kicking around , so i know it's the same plastic. That's the big trick it must be the same type of plastic that you are going to weld. Trial and error works to. If it's the wrong plastic it won't stick to what you are welding.

This will only work on rigid or semi rigid plastics. I wouldn't try it on say a arm rest or something like that.

Once you weld it up, alittle sanding/bodyfiller & done.

I always try to weld plastic repairs. Less time and way better final product