Front Cradle Bolt/Bracket Recall

95oldsVan

Sometime back,I recieved a paper in the mail stating there was a recall campaign on replacing these cradle parts due to corrosion.I took it to the local dealer and they fixed it free.My old parts werent bad because I didnt have the car up North that long,and the campaign was targeted for people living where it snows and road salt is heavily used.

I was just wondering if corrosion problem was ever a serious problem on the older W cars and if so,if you ever had yours checked and replaced?

Supposedly the corrosion was bad enough to allow the front cradle to fall out from under the car or something.

Just wanted to pass this info along.If you live in the rust belt,have yours checked out by having the dealer run the VIN to see if it was ever done.

What suxs for me,the rear trailing arms and suspension parts have the most rusts.The front cradle bolts and bracket had hardly anything.

But they wouldnt offer to replace the rear parts for me.Heh...

:shock: :)

Don't even go there. I lost my first W because GM wouldn't honor that recall when my cradle bolt broke.

Oh man that sucks...Hope it doesnt happen to anyone else.I didnt know if this was a real problem or just a precaution they took "in case" it does.

Sorry to hear it happened to ya.

:(

It's happened to a couple people on here I believe. My cradle isn't in all that great shape either.....but I'll drive it till the engine falls out I guess

What happenes is the intermediate sterring shaft will seperate and you could lose steering control...I think this is what happens

Don't even go there. I lost my first W because GM wouldn't honor that recall when my cradle bolt broke.
You still got that pic of your engine bay after the cradle bolts broke?

You still got that pic of your engine bay after the cradle bolts broke?

Yes, I wanna see that, and how about any of the break itself?

Here you go:

DSCN0377.jpg

Note how the dogbones are pointing down.

DSCN0375.jpg

The airbox here is priceless.

DSCN0365.jpg

In my case, the cradle bolt retainer pulled clear through the cradle arm, and on the other side, the bolt snapped in the retainer.

DSCN0373.jpg

Note the steering shaft's 60* angle here. :lol:

Thanks GM. :cry:

DAMNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN! Seeing those pics,I said OH SHITTT!

Man that really sucks.Was there any warning,like a rattle or banging for a day or two,or let me guess,with GM's magic,it just said "CRACK" and broke?

:(

Well, the first one wasn't my fault. It broke, I heard the clunk and my steering changed. Well, I didn't have another car, so I just drove on the damn thing. A couple of months later, I was backing up to a gas pump, and just CLUNK and my steering wheel could spin freely and my engine was almost on the ground. If I had gotten it fixed, I could possibly have still had it today. I just didn't have the money or the time.

I took it to dealers several times, and they all told me to go fuck myself despite my obviously not having a car exempt from the recall. Fuck their computers.

Happened to me about 3 months ago. The driver side rear bolt had pulled through. Had the cradle all rewelded up and fixed. Now the rest of it is rusting up. But i can get a like new cradle around here at the JY's for around $50-$100

Hell, the dealers I took it to here wouldn't even try to track down my VIN for me. They said that their computers only hold data for 5 years, and even though I showed them the official NHSTA printouts for the recall, they said they can't help me.

And GM wonders why their customer service sucks...

Hell, the dealers I took it to here wouldn't even try to track down my VIN for me. They said that their computers only hold data for 5 years, and even though I showed them the official NHSTA printouts for the recall, they said they can't help me.

I would raise some Hell and call the GM hotline.Should not matter how old the car is or how long their computer stores info.Its not like youre trying to get anew transmission or something very expensive!!!

I would raise some Hell and call the GM hotline.Should not matter how old the car is or how long their computer stores info.Its not like youre trying to get anew transmission or something very expensive!!!

Yea, I tried that. I called GM's hotline, complained about said dealerships, and asked them to run my VIN. They said the computer tells them that my car shows no recalls ever being listed for it. WTF!?

Yea, I tried that. I called GM's hotline, complained about said dealerships, and asked them to run my VIN. They said the computer tells them that my car shows no recalls ever being listed for it. WTF!?

That truly sucks...do you have any idea where your car originally was sold?GM had this recall for only certain states and areas that were suspect to road salt and Harsh winters.

If your car was originally sold as a southern car,that can be why theres no listing for it,unless theyre just yanking your chain and dont want to help anymore.

Question.... what do they actually replace with this recall?

It is the bolt and lower body mounts cap? And can I get one from oh... like a 95 lumina and replace the old ones?????

That truly sucks...do you have any idea where your car originally was sold?GM had this recall for only certain states and areas that were suspect to road salt and Harsh winters.

If your car was originally sold as a southern car,that can be why theres no listing for it,unless theyre just yanking your chain and dont want to help anymore.

My car was originally sold at Bryan Chevrolet in New Orleans, LA.

Now, maybe they didn't issue any recalls for cradle bolts for southern cars, but the NHSTA list of recalls for Luminas is fairly long, and I highly doubt that southern cars were exempt from all of them... :?

Heres what I found on the net...and its very similar to the recall papers I got for my 91...notice the states they list to only cover those around there...

1990 Chevrolet Lumina Base Recall ID from NHTSA: 00V189000

Recall Date: 07/11/2000

Component: STRUCTURE

Potential Units Affected: 713435

Summary: VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES ORIGINALLY SOLD OR CURRENTLY REGISTERED IN THE STATES OF CONNECTICUT, DELAWARE, ILLINOIS, INDIANA, IOWA, MAINE, MARYLAND, MASSACHUSETTS, MICHIGAN, MINNESOTA, MISSOURI, NEW HAMPSHIRE, NEW JERSEY, NEW YORK, OHIO, PENNSYLVANIA, RHODE ISLAND, VERMONT, WEST VIRGINIA, WISCONSIN, AND THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA, WHERE ROAD SALT USE IS HEAVY. A CONDITION WHERE ONE OR BOTH FRONT ENGINE CRADLE BOLTS CAN PULL THROUGH THE RETAINERS DUE TO CORROSION OF THE RETAINERS.

Defect Consequence: IF BOTH BOLTS PULL THROUGH, THE FRONT OF THE CRADLE WOULD NO LONGER BE SUPPORTED AT THE MOUNTING LOCATIONS AND THE STEERING INTERMEDIATE SHAFT COULD SEPARATE FROM THE STEERING GEAR.

Remedy: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE FRONT AND REAR FRAME/CRADLE BOLTS AND RETAINERS.

Notes: GENERAL MOTORS CORP., 00061/00065

Forgot to add,My car was from Indiana.But the recall I got,they only replaced the rear bolts,not the fronts!! The info I listed was for a 90,not a 91 so they may have made some changes.Lucky for me,I took the car to a local dealer in KY and they still honored the recall for mine.I forget when I had it done but it was about 2-3 years ago.Maybe extinct now for other cars.

I think they should cover all cars.They never took in the fact that some cars change states and some cars are driven in the snow belts for trips.

Oh well!

:roll: