3.8 Series 1 5-Speed regal

SuperBuick

I will be purchasing a Getrag 282 soon to install into my 1990 regal with the series 1 3.8 Aside from the fact that I will need a different flywheel (thank you fiero dudes!!!), what other hiccups could appear in this conversion. I know people with auto 3.1s have done manual 3.1 conversions (mr. malibuolds) succesfully, and I would assume that, with the exception of the need for a special flywheel since there never was a manual 3.8, it should just be like hooking it up to a more powerful 3.1 (albeit 90 degrees instead of 60 and all those other differences, but you get the gist). My 3.4 manual car has sonething called an AIR system that I have no idea what it does but I know that auto 3.4s dont have it so its necessary for the 5 speed, and the AIR connects into the front exhaust manifold. To those of you who have swapped the 5sp into your 3.1 auto cars, did you have to get involved with any type of AIR system or different manifolds? I would really like this project to be a success, so all information that can be shared would be appreciated, and if you wouldn't mind, to those who have done it, would I be able to call you up with questions? Also, what about computer codes, etc. the car has a 4t60 now, NON electronic, so I wouldn't think it would be a problem, am I correct in assuming this? In addition, and I think you might know this shawn, can I assume that the regal floorpan has the required stampings for a clutch, since I believe all W-Bodies have an identical floorpan. I'm worried that since they never had a 5sp option, it isn't there, but the car is 20 miles away from me right now so I can't exactly take a peek. Thanks fellas - Tom

Floorpans are the same. What MIGHT be different is the framework that holds the steering column and pedals in. I know 94+ cars have a different framework that does NOT have a place for the clutch pedal. Your car being older, PROBABLY has the place for the clutch pedal.

All gen 1 W-bodies have the clutch pedal linkage hole. Even my friend's 95 Monte Z34 had the hole, and they never put the 5-speed in that body style!

I currently have a column shifter, so I assume that hole would be there. Also, what other holes are needed. Where do the shift cables go? And should I be looking for a hole next to the brake pedal for where the clutch goes? Or is there like a bump in the firewall. also, what about the computer, can it handle the 5sp, do I need to modify the brakes in any way? - Tom

For pics of the swap and info, you can go to my site and go to the NEWS area, and look for the link to the swap info. Everyone pretty much gave you all the info you need, though. As for the ECM, it won't know the auto isn't there. But, it will think it's there as for a fuel/timing tables go, so the car won't run right. It will run, and probably good enough for normal driving, but it will be a little off in the areas of idle, timing, fuel curves, other various things. You really should look in to getting a chip for a manual. Maybe the Fiero guys can help here?

Jason