Dammit! Cutlass fender got crunched. Fender Q's? PICS!

GnatGoSplat

I pulled into my work's parking lot and a guy in a Ford Ranger pulled into a space and I guess he pulled in crooked, because he backed right out of it again and right into my 89 Cutlass's left front fender. I took a pic with my camera phone and will post when I get home.

Anyway, the vacuum ball fell out. What is that thing attached to? I don't think the car will need any framework or welding, but it might depending on what that vacuum ball was attached to.

Man, this sucks. Nothing sticks better than perfect factory paint. Now that fender is going to be some repaint. :cry: My day is not going off to a very good start. I'm very bummed. :cry:

Not to mention my car sounds like a jet plane when I drive. My wheel might be bent too. I wish I could have been quicker on the horn. Damn my shitty ass reflexes. :evil:

UPDATE: PICS

Crunch!

Picture3_5_.jpg

Poor car. Goodbye nearly flawless factory paint, I'll miss you. :cry: That was the good fender too, the other side has a ding.

The perp.

Picture5_2_.jpg

Doesn't look like that space needed 2 passes to get into to me...

Barely a scratch on his big chrome bumper.

Looks a little better...

IMG_1085.jpg

I had to pull the fender out in order to be able to drive straight without the tire tread rubbing on the warped fender liner. That was the cause of the jet-engine sound when driving. Still can't make right turns without a terrible rubbing sound though.

Another angle.

IMG_1086.jpg

Signal light is smashed. That was the good one, too (pass side one has chrome delaminating).

Yet another angle.

IMG_1087.jpg

The corner of the hood hits the headlight now. The right side of the headlight is pushed up a bit, and the bottom of the header panel is unusually close to the bumper. I guess the header panel is damaged too?

Last angle.

IMG_1088.jpg

Vacuum ball.

IMG_1089.jpg

I found it rolling around on the ground. Its mounts are broken, it will never see vacuum again.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GnatGoSplat

• 5speedz34

• cutlsp

• GP1138

that sucks!

could be worse i supose, coulda got the rad support bent.

as far as the vaccum ball, i believe its just attatched to the fender. see if you can find a NOS fender if you can. don't let the ins co. go with a crumby aftermarket one.

Yeah, his insurance is going to pay. They'd better, or I'll waste big bucks and hire an attorney if I have to. Well, my friend's dad is an attorney and maybe he'd fire off some nasty sounding letters for cheap. Those should hopefully be enough to scare the right people into submission if necessary.

Yeah, I don't want an aftermarket fender. All of those I've seen are crap. I'd rather get a junkyard fender painted to match than an aftermarket one.

My condolences go out to you and your car. I cannot imagine the pain you are going through :bawl:

Sue his ass for all he is worth. Sue for anxiety, stress, lost wages because you were to sick to go to work because of the fact your baby got crunched.

Hit the guy with the book mang!

Thanks for the support, guys.

You have the best looking car on here.

Wow, thanks! :mrgreen:

One question for those who have experience...

What's the difference between an 88-91 and 92-97 coupe front fender? I know for sure the signal light mounting is different, but can that part be removed from an 88-91 fender and put on a 92-97 fender? I just ask because I found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7964866040&category=33644

Yeah, that 92-97 fender on Ebay is Genuine GM which is why I'm interested in it. It's pretty cheap for $100. I'm too OCD to settle for aftermarket, I put an aftermarket on my mom's Taurus once, and the fit at the edges was crap. A NOS fender will be $300+ if they're still around (I'll have to run the p/n and see).

I don't really want a junkyard fender if I can avoid it. They'll probably have dings and things that need fixed. Although I guess a new one could get dinged up in shipping too.

I'm already thinking I'll pocket the insurance money and fix this thing myself to save labor. That way I can use the extra to get some other paintwork done.

Hmm.. I'm calling BS on this until I see pics...

Man, don't I wish. If this were an April Fool's joke, the jokes on me! I've been bummed all day, and the guy's insurance agent never returned my call.

The guy better not claim any part of it was my fault or else there'll be hell to pay.

Hmm.. I'm calling BS on this until I see pics...

Man, don't I wish. If this were an April Fool's joke, the jokes on me! I've been bummed all day, and the guy's insurance agent never returned my call.

The guy better not claim any part of it was my fault or else there'll be hell to pay.

If this isn't an April Fool's joke then I feel bad for you. I agree with Sean, you've got the nicest car on here, and that car obviously means a lot to you. Hope you get her fixed back up real nice.

Shawn, the light is COMPLETELY different on a newer coupe if I remember right. The lights shaped different, is thinner, and is longer on a newer one.

shawn HE backed into your car it is ALL his fault trust me on this his insurance company will find in your favor. they did when a 19 year old idiot backed into my suburban and clamed he didn't see it :roll: . how the fuck you don't see a suburban i don't know but i got 1900 out of it which i pocketed :lol: . i wish i could help you but both of my parts car's drivers fenders are in shitty shape :(

Tht sucks. If he claims any part of it was you, sue him for anxiety and depression for your car. It'll work. Nowadays you can sue anybody for anything and get money. :roll:

Anyway, I hope this gets better quickly.

First post has been updated with pics!

It's the April Fools joke that keeps on giving. :cry:

Hmmm, I thought the signal lights were shaped the same and the same length, just the 92-97 were half the height, the other half being taken up by the bumper. I'll probably head on out to the garage later and see what I can figure out.

Well, I'd probably get the correct year fender just to be on the safe side.

Oh well, could be worse, at least I didn't get hurt and the car's not totalled.

Or is it? I gotta wonder, Edmunds says it's worth $530 and KBB says it's worth $1053. Either way, it's not worth much!