Another ABS Problem. What a Surprise.....

Curlybandit

Well, just when I thought my ABS problems were all over, a new one decided to show up. My 91 Regal has the Power"bastard" III ABS system, probably the worst design known to man. Originally, when I first picked up the car, it had a code 62. So, I replaced the Accumulator and the Accumulator pressure switch. These are dealer parts only, and each would have cost me just over $500 (CAD), but THANKGOD I have a friend who's a GM tech, so I only paid about $250 a piece. I thought that this would have fixed the problem, but it turns out I neded to also replace the right rear speed sensor. It just so happens that this is burried inside the WHOLE FRIGGIN HUB AND BEARING ASSEMBLY!! So that needed to be replaced too, another $260 gone. Once again, thank God for GM tech hook-ups.... This seemed to fix the problem, until yesterday, when that dreaded yellow ABS light popped up. It turns out that now the LEFT rear speed sensor needs to be replaced too. HOLY SHIT!! The goddamn ABS system on this thing has set me back over $1000 in less that a year! Like I said before, I love my car, but I HATE my brakes.

Curlybandit

That's shitty man!! But like you say it could ahve been 2000 without your connections!

I'm just glad my Lumina doesn't have ABS as I've heard the earlier systems didn't work very well...

But I guess the worst part for you is you have to replace the hub assembly?? or what?

Either way, shitty deal, but afterwards *knock on wood* everything will be perfect!

- Jeff L.

Mine was acting up today..... just as the weather got bad and there were lots of accidents :roll:

Oh well, I'm used to driving without it since my 88' knew of no such thing! :mrgreen:

At one point I was seriously considering just converting it to the non-ABS. If my master cylinder goes, it's like $1200 to get a REBUILT one. I figured, just convert it now and don't worry about it later. I was going to take it to this one place, but I lost faith in their skills when one of their techs told me that my master cylinder was messed up when it was actaully the accumulator and pressure switch. Imagine if I let these butchers try to convert it. I probably would have been left with ZERO brakes. Then I'd be really fucked. Anyways, knock on wood is right. Hopefully this is the last of this BS.

Curlybandit

Mine was acting up today..... just as the weather got bad and there were lots of accidents :roll:

Oh well, I'm used to driving without it since my 88' knew of no such thing! :mrgreen:

Mine have ALWAYS acted up when the weather gets bad. Started with the CS I got when I turned 16.. ABS always crapped... then the Lumina... always crapped when the weather got bad. Same with the '94 GP and my current GP.. when it gets nasty out, they don't work. I hate ABS, so I'm in no frame of mind to fix it.

I doubt it's of any comfort, but the wheel speed sensors are the same whether you have PM3 or the later ABS VI system. So even if you didn't have PM3, you'd still have the same problem! In fact, the ABS system has crapped out on my 94 Cutlass and I suspect a wheel speed sensor. The problem is figuring out which one.

We were able to determine which one it was by pulling the ABS code. I think my buddy used the MAC Tool scanner because the GM one that he had wasn't pulling up any codes. The screen of the scanner displayed the code, and even which side the problem was on. With the scanner plugged in, we went for a quick boot around the block, and the scanner was showing that ZERO velicity was being measured by the left rear wheel speed sensor. That's how we figured out which side it was. I figure that's how it was done by the GM shop that I went and got the accumulator and switch put on at.

Curlybandit

I know there are scanners that can pull the codes, but I don't have one.

My goal is to figure out which wheel speed sensor it is without having to pay anyone!

(I don't have buddies in the automotive field)

I wish I had a code reader for the PM3 in the cutlass.

The light comes on about every 3rd time I drive it, first it flashes and then it goes solid. Grrrr

I do actually like the feel of the ABS on the PM3 better than Gen 4 Delco system.

I drove my 1995 Chevy Corsica for over six years and I never had a problem with the ABS system. I'm not sure what system it was, but it was deffinitely not the PM3.

Curlybandit