Larger rear brakes

Curlybandit

Does anyone know if it is possible to install larger brake pads for the rear brakes in a 1991 Buick regal GS coupe? The existing pads are about as big as 9 volt battery. The rear is clearly underpowered for the size of the car, and I would like to fix this problem. Anyone heard of anything? Thanks.

Curlybandit

see the thing you want to be larger is the front brakes :roll: because these cars are fwd. but here is how you can get larger brakes all the way around on your car find a 94+ w-body in a j/y and follow the upgrade instrutions on the page right before the forum :roll:

Guest TurboSedan

upgrade to the '94+ W-body rear disc brakes. i'm not sure if the pads are actually any bigger than the '88-'93 rear disc brakes, but the rotor itself is bigger and the caliper has a better design so they won't freeze up like the '88-'93 disk brakes are notorious for doing. pad changes are also MUCH easier with the '94+ rear brakes.

the downside to the '94+ rear disc upgrade is the parking brake cable. if you have an automatic transmission this might not matter much, but it is definately a must have for 5-speed cars. some people have gotten their existing parking brake cables to work but from the pics i've seen it looks like a hack job. i would use the '94+ parking brake cables....but you'll have to weld a bracket to the frame.

and definately upgrade to the late '95+ front brakes too. they use the same calipers and pads but the rotor is bigger, unfotunately you need to swap out the whole strut/knuckle assembly to upgrade the front brakes.

Guest TurboSedan
see the thing you want to be larger is the front brakes :roll: because these cars are fwd.

upgrading the front brakes is generally more important, but not because the car is FWD. front brakes do like 80% of the braking in ANY car, RWD, FWD, AWD...

If your going to do the 94+ brake upgrade make sure to get the 11 1/4" rotors and caliper brackets instead of the 10 1/2" set.

'96+*

'94+ swap is considered the rear swap, those sizes are for the fronts.

'96 front swap :)

If your going to do the 94+ brake upgrade make sure to get the 11 1/4" rotors and caliper brackets instead of the 10 1/2" set.

'96+*

'94+ swap is considered the rear swap, those sizes are for the fronts.

'96 front swap :)

Good catch. Its worth noting however that some cars produced in late 95' had the 11 1/4" size as well.

Supposedly, yes. But I've got some interesting info.. when I went to the yard to get my struts (they pulled them), first time I went to go pick them up they were the 10.5 front rotors. Guy swore to me they were off a '96 Lumina. :think: Anyway I told him they weren't the right ones and he was cool about it, just said come back in a few days. The right ones didn't end up coming off a Lumina but I didn't catch the year. I think it was supposedly a '96 too.