NORBI

It has finally came that day that my Cutty is at the mechanic for a very good and expenive reasons for the first time. It has a new transmission put it, new seals, catalyst converter, and the worst thing is that head gasket is leaking coolant. Car has over 192k miles, now the question. Do you guys think that its better to change head gasket and at same time maybe rebuilt engine since it will be open (even though that runs very good but high milage) or just get a lower milage 3.1 that i know nothing abuot it. So what do u think which is better gasket with rebuilding or new engine with lower miles. :?: :?

I say change out the head gasket, and fix it back up. When you buy a motor, you always run the risk of getting a bad one. Remember how the motor felt in your other Grand Prix? Chances are, if you geet a newer motor, then it is not going to feel like that. I say fix it, and do some cleaning while the top is off.

Taylor

I been told by mechanic that it will be about 600$ and my friend changed head gasket and he paid above 500$. I think thats a lot of money especially when engine has 192k miles on it.

Well, of course if you pay someone to do it, it will cost.

But personally, my belief is you shouldn't own an older car if you're the type that pays people to do everything. That's what new cars and new car warranties are for.

It really is not that hard to change out the head gasket yourself, just time consuming. If it is the front one, then you will need to take off the A/C bracket, and if it is the rear one, you have to take off the down-pipe for the exhaust. I can do one in a day (but if I take my time, and not rushing anything, I do it in 2.

Taylor