DiscoStudd

I'll do that just because it's a good idea to replace a 9 year old radiator with over 160K. The Rads they sell at NAPA have a bit more surface area than a stocker, too. Erring on the side of "more cooling" (esp. with a supercharger) is better than "more heat" for sure...

I don't blame you for wanting a new radiator, wouldn't want to toast your engine. IIRC the stock radiator is a single core. I would check if you can get a 2 core radiator, or get your stock radiator recored with 2 cores. Another core will greatly help the radiator's ability to exchange heat.

• 3 weeks later...

just wanted to kick this thread up

my friend just got a Bonne with the 165hp 3.8...i forget the engine code

so sean...how hard would that be to make into an L67?

LN3 vin C

Same as the L27 Matt.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I know this thread has been kicking around for a while, but I just stumbled on it and I am VERY interested. I have a 1991 Series I and I've been looking into adding a SC, but I've been told that it isn't possible without a lot of work and headache. If what I'm reading is right, it should be a fairly straight forward job. So.... one more time, what do I need to turn my Series I N/A into an SC?

Thanks.

Curlybandit

At the minimum:

L67 lower intake, S/C, Harmonic balancer, alternator and p/s pump mounts, additional idler pulleys for the s/c belt, maybe the fuel rail.

Probably would be a good idea to get the L67 fuel injectors, bigger fuel pump, do something to beef up the transmission, get the L67 Memcal.

Might be a couple more misc. Items.

So, for example, I can search for these parts off a 92/93 Bonneville SC since it's essentially the same engine right? Are there any recommendations that you can make regarding which would be the best models to use for my parts search? Thanks again.

Curlybandit

I would try to find a 94,95 M62. They were much more efficient than the 92,93 versions.

and Yes you can search for the S/C bonneville, S/C park Ave., and the 95 Riveria.

As a slightly off-topic post, I have an '87 Bonneville... I had debated turbocharging it when I was in college, but was too worried about the tranny (original Hydro. 440... gimme a W, gimme a E, gimme a A, gimme a K... what's that spell?? ASSTASTIC!!!) with it being my only car and shifting kindof funny as it was... but I was looking into it and found out that there was not really much difference between that engine and the engines found in the Grand Nationals... Both had 8.0:1 compression, and parts and bolt patterns looked identical... Appeared all it would take was some plumbing and an ECM from one of those cars...

I gave up on the idea because my Bonne is an SE, so it has steel wheels, shitty brakes (I don't know that there was a "non-ass" brake option either, and brakes are important on a car that you're turboing), ass suspension, and that shitty tranny, but if I find an FE3 mid-late 80's 3.8 A-body, it's ON!

Mike

Will my 440T4 tranny be able to handle the increase in hp and torque? I thought about replacing it with a 4T60E but, I've read that the 4T60E is shifted electronicly using solenoids controlled by the ECM, and it won't work without computer control. It can only be used with an engine that was originally equipped with a 4T60E. So.... what are my options if the 440T4 can't handle the power?

Thanks.

Curlybandit