cardboard

hello I have a 1990 Pontiac GP LE Sedan and I have noticed that sometimes, maybe half the time that I back up with the car, the car shuts off and the dash says "service engine soon". I have to switch to neutral and fire it back up again. This only happens when the car is reversing, normal driving is good. Does anyone know whats wrong with my car?

And also another problem, but I guess a harder one to solve is that my front right side of the car (inside the wheelwell) makes a slight grinding sound when you drive along and hit bumps and turn. This started happening after the rear shocks were replaced with new ones. My guess is that now the front ones are getting more pressure put on the or something along those lines? does any one know whats wrong, or do i just need new front shocks?

thanks!

Is it storing any codes in the ECM? You can check for codes here http://www.w-body.com/ecm-codes.html.

My guess would be the Park/Neutral switch has a problem to where the ECM always thinks the car is in Park so it doesn't kick the idle up enough when you put it in reverse (too low of an idle will cause the car to shudder and die).

As for that grinding, my guesses would be either the strut bearing or hub bearing. Hard to tell though. Does it make a humming sound above a certain speed?