Regal gs suspension overhaul and options thread

Suedechrist

I would hope so :P.. Lol.. I mean it is all brand new and remember buick may be labeled an old person brand but there products were built to a much higher standard and quality than the rest of GM.. It doesnt surprise me at all especially with GS and its bragged about grand touring suspension.

:think:

Actually the Grand Prixs were mostly advertised as having the best handling.

Actually does not necessarily mean that, the 3 digit code on the spring itself tells you whats going on, However you'd need to find a spring code table to give you an idea of exactly whats going on. I'd find it hard to believe the Buick's got stiffer springs then a Pontiac. Though a GS may. All I know is when my buddy and I put GTP springs on his GS (with new struts) ride quality improved dramatically.

So there's a code ON the springs themselves? What part? My car was missing the spare tire cover when it found me so I love discovering new things. It handles great whatever is in there.

As far as springs go, the Regal's do tend to sag in the back. I'm currently using a set of Intrigue springs in the back of my 99 and they took care of the sag my car had. You can also find similar springs in the police Impala's too. If your rear springs aren't sagging yet, there's a really good chance that they will start to down the road here. It might be worth doing it now while you're working on the car rather than waiting for it to happen.

As far as lowering springs go, I've heard that most of them out there will tend to sag too after a while too. Also keep in mind with lowering springs you'll have to raise the motor and transmission to correct the CV joint angle. You'll also want to get anti-pogo washers for the struts.

Intrigue springs are nice since they raise the rear. As far as your comment about lowering springs and having to raise the motor and trans, that really depends on how low the springs drop. It is not needed if say he goes with vogtland springs since the drop is about an inch.

Ride quality =/= handling.

Yes lowered cars handle significantly better. My GTP is lowered, it has GMPP front and rear sway bars and strut braces, and it handles very well. But it rides like complete trash. Every little bump is miserable and thanks to the worn out struts the car then continues to bounce after the initial bounce. I describe this is a brick on top of a bowl of jello.

My B&G springs should be coming off some time this year. I have a set of GMPP springs to throw on it (not as low but very good ride quality) and I will buy a set of KYB AGX adjustable struts. The car should ride and handle supremely well then.

Also GTP stock springs >> Regal GS springs. Just changing your car to GTP springs would improve ride and handling.

You will like the ride with those GMPP springs and AGX's.

To the op, I would recommend vogtland springs paired with kyb AGX's. My brother currently has that set up and it rides fairly close to the GMPP lowering kit that I have on my 99.

Here is what I would recommend to bring some life back into your suspension:

GMPP handling kit. Unless your car already has the larger sway bars. Includes another strut bar so you can use it on the rear.

Moog or Dorman LCA's

Moog front enlinks

Moog rear endlinks

Moog front sway bar bushings

Vogtland + AGX's + anti pogo washer -if lowering

KYB GR2's + rear intrigue spings - if staying stock. i believe moog makes replacement rear springs for an intrigue

UMI trailing arms

Moog outer tie rods

Intrigue springs are nice since they raise the rear. As far as your comment about lowering springs and having to raise the motor and trans, that really depends on how low the springs drop. It is not needed if say he goes with vogtland springs since the drop is about an inch.

You will like the ride with those GMPP springs and AGX's.

To the op, I would recommend vogtland springs paired with kyb AGX's. My brother currently has that set up and it rides fairly close to the GMPP lowering kit that I have on my 99.

Here is what I would recommend to bring some life back into your suspension:

GMPP handling kit. Unless your car already has the larger sway bars. Includes another strut bar so you can use it on the rear.

Moog or Dorman LCA's

Moog front enlinks

Moog rear endlinks

Moog front sway bar bushings

Vogtland + AGX's + anti pogo washer -if lowering

KYB GR2's + rear intrigue spings - if staying stock. i believe moog makes replacement rear springs for an intrigue

UMI trailing arms

Moog outer tie rods

Looks like im going with ssc lowering springs and kyb gr2s and anti pogos .. I will use short dog bones. I already have a solid sway bar on the front. Ill get that rear strut tower as well in the mean time . .. In order to bring the front down to where i want it i will leave out the front lower isolators and that will brng me to a completely level look.. If i have to i will get motor and trans spacers but the dog bones should take care of that with poly bushings so it dont move, saving my mounts .

First off save your money and invest in the spacers instead of the shorter dog bones. Speaking from experience, don't expect those GR2's to last long with a lowering spring more than 1". When I had B&G's + GR2's, the struts were done around 10K miles. Also it's not a good idea to remove the front isolator. The spring rests on that and by not having that it will be metal on metal. There was a guy on either clubgp or grandprixforums that did it and he ended up putting them back on. If anything you could trim the bump stop to give you a little more travel. The pontiac trans montana has the shorter dog bones. Will be cheaper than zzp.

First off save your money and invest in the spacers instead of the shorter dog bones. Speaking from experience, don't expect those GR2's to last long with a lowering spring more than 1". When I had B&G's + GR2's, the struts were done around 10K miles. Also it's not a good idea to remove the front isolator. The spring rests on that and by not having that it will be metal on metal. There was a guy on either clubgp or grandprixforums that did it and he ended up putting them back on. If anything you could trim the bump stop to give you a little more travel. The pontiac trans montana has the shorter dog bones. Will be cheaper than zzp.

Okay so i have boughten ssc springs and gr2's from zzp, anti pogos to of course, once they are here ill start the replace. Any tips you guys have for me? Im an experience wrench head so no novice stuff please just the roadbumps :D.. Ill also be doing a right up on how to make your own professional fender roller.. If you have a welder of course.