1999 GP Will Not Crank

COFrank

Hello Everybody! I have this issue that hopefully someone here can help me with. When I insert the key in the ignition all is good (dash lights on and accessories work). But from there, NOTHING except for an ever so slight "click". According to my wife, there was nothing strange when starting the car prior to this issue.

This is what I have verified up to this point:

The battery seems fine (New in October, but put it on the charger overnight just to be sure)

• Checked fuses in under-the-hood fuse box
    • Ignition Main 1
    • Ignition Main 2
    • Ignition Module

[*]security system and applied "reset" procedures (key in ACC position for 15 min)

[*]Moved the shifter in various positions while turning the key (best I know how to do to see if it might be the neutral safety switch)

However, I am not sure how to verify the Ignition Module Relay that also resides in the under-the-hood fuse box. But, since it is the same part number as the cooling fan relay, I swapped them (and then swapped them back when there was no change), I assume it is good.

My gut instinct tells me it's the starter or starter solenoid, but I am still not convinced it's not something else - like maybe the neutral safety switch OR SOMETHING ELSE.

Any ideas?

P.S. Since my wife parked on my VERY slanted driveway, getting it into my garage is not an option. Nor is just taking the starter out and having it tested since I can't get to it. So if it IS the starter, I guess I will have no other option but to take it to a shop. My fear is that it will NOT be the starter and I will pay out the nose to fix whatever else it ends up being on top of them replacing the starter.

Edited by COFrank
spelling

You might not be able to get under there enough to check if the starter solenoid is getting power, but if you get on your back you should be able to get under there enough to start wacking the starter with a deadblow while someone holds the key in the start position. If the starter then whirls away, you have your diagnosis.

If you have a test light and a helper, you can check for power while trying to crank at the small post on the starter solenoid.

This will have a single purple colored wire connected to it. I think there is enough room to stick the test light on it from the top

between the engine and cooling fans. If there's power while trying to crank it(test light lites), you need a starter.

You might not be able to get under there enough to check if the starter solenoid is getting power, but if you get on your back you should be able to get under there enough to start wacking the starter with a deadblow while someone holds the key in the start position. If the starter then whirls away, you have your diagnosis.

Jesse, I had totally forgotten the "old school" troubleshooting idea that you recommended, but that did the trick! With the car running, I quickly did some musical chairs so that I could get the car in the garage. Then cut the engine - just to sorta confirm it was a dead spot. It restarted about three times with no problems, but had to do the hammer trick on the fourth try.

That definitely told me it was either the solenoid or starter or both. So, I took it out and headed to Auto Zone. They tested it good and said I didn't have a problem. Although I really appreciated their honesty, my gut told me to go ahead and get another starter (with solenoid) anyway. Since I installed the new starter, it must have been started a dozen times or more with no problems.

To all that replied (Jesse, 95 vert, and Andrew) Thanks for your quick responses. I hope I can be of some assistance in the future.